The Student Room Group

TSR Veggie Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Has this society died? :frown:
Reply 381
Well, its not as active as it used to be - we need to breathe some life into it again.
Reply 382
Btw, I tried to join this society but nothing has happened. Have you got the request, Falguni? (At least I understood that since you're the 'leader', you will also accept new members..)

Anyway, here I am. I'm a vegetarian at the moment but hopefully I can be a vegan some day. It just takes some time for me since I'm quite a new vegetarian. Have to get along with this first. :smile: I mean, I don't have any problems to live without meat, it only disgusts me. But I have to learn to cook various meals and try to get the vitamins and get more and more info and so. It's easy and fun but I'm not ready to be a vegan yet.
Hey! I'm a vegan! I'd like to join.
Reply 384
Hi

Sorry about not adding those of you who had requested to join the society faster. I'm such a dunce I only recently figured out how to find the request list! Also, if any of you sent requests but were not accepted - this is because you have too many society memberships already.

BTW if any of you have recipes you wish to share then please post up on here. I may start posting more of mine up soon since i'm now at home and will have to force myself to make lunch - and I can't live just on pizza, pasta and chips.
Reply 385
what do vegetarians typically eat anyhow? how do they plan their meal and such? i imagine it must be pretty difficult.
i only like several types of veggies, but broccoli is probably the most horrible veggie i've ever tasted.
oh, and i've eaten veggie burgers on several occasions and they aren't quite as bad. however, salads are most certainly out of my league. never in my life would i survive by only eating salads...eik. pure horror!
i was born a vegetarian (because of religion, im hindu) and i get really annoyed when non-veggie people say things like "what do you eat, broccoli?". Im also indian and i know a lot if not most indian food is vegetarian. If you go to india every restaurant you see will have massive vegi sections, and the food is soooo goood. In my opinion the best veggie food is indian food. No need for meat at all!

I dont understand vegans though, how do you live without cheese, i really dont understand arguments vegans use that cheese is non veg. I have a really good friend whos vegan and his main reason for being one is animal crueilty and how mass production of dairy products occurs on agri-businesses, but tbh, why dont you buy bio products?! BIO produced dairy products.

Anyway, vegetarian food is amazing if a. you know where/what to eat, b. you know how to cook it, c. you dont eat disgusting things like brussels sprouts with a touch of salt for dinner.
Wizard, I'm a vegan, mainly for the same reasons as your friend. The milk industry, in my opinion, is cruel, and I feel that milk should only be used to feed offspring of the particular animal.

You can also buy vegan 'cheese'...
Reply 388
how abt eggs? i've heard some vegetarians eat eggs and some don't.
If a vegetarian eats eggs, they're called an 'ovo vegetarian'. It doesn't mean they aren't a 'real' vegetarian though.
Reply 390
It's ridiculous to think vegetarians (and vegans) only eat salad! I mean you can practically do all kinds of foods of vegetables, soy products etc. You don't need meat or dairy products to eat wholesomely.
Reply 391
Salla
It's ridiculous to think vegetarians (and vegans) only eat salad! I mean you can practically do all kinds of foods of vegetables, soy products etc. You don't need meat or dairy products to eat wholesomely.

are you referring to me?
well of course not...i dont think vegetarians and vegans only eat salads. it's only me who doesn't eat it. lol. salads not my cup of tea.

it's just that in my school they don't sell much vegetarian food so most of them just buy salads or cookies (which you know is unhealthy). i wouldn't mind eating cookies, but eating it everyday...why no thanks. i'll deffo pass.
Woooooo!! Been a veggie all my life!
Reply 393
layla*
are you referring to me?
well of course not...i dont think vegetarians and vegans only eat salads. it's only me who doesn't eat it. lol. salads not my cup of tea.

it's just that in my school they don't sell much vegetarian food so most of them just buy salads or cookies (which you know is unhealthy). i wouldn't mind eating cookies, but eating it everyday...why no thanks. i'll deffo pass.

I wasn't referring to anyone, really. It just came to my mind because so many people like to point out it makes no sense to be a vegetarian since they don't eat "real food" and suffer from various deficiency diseases and are underfed and what else.

What comes to the food people eat at school or at work or anywhere away from home, it's their decision, were they vegetarians or not. If I knew there wasn't good lunch/snack available, I would bring my own food.
Reply 394
So, where have all the veggies gone (again)? I'm just cooking a risotto for a meal, mmm.

Decided to completely give up using dairy products and eggs. I'm quite a new vegetarian but it has begun to feel more natural to leave those out, too. I'm fine with soy milk and other "sustitutes".
guitargirl03
Wizard, I'm a vegan, mainly for the same reasons as your friend. The milk industry, in my opinion, is cruel, and I feel that milk should only be used to feed offspring of the particular animal.

You can also buy vegan 'cheese'...

Yes I totally agree. The dairy industry is a very cruel industry indeed. I also agree with the offspring statement. Cow milk made to make little calf into a 300 odd pound cow so not good if humans consume it in my opinion.

Yes there is vegan cheese. Many kinds like cheezly which isn't too bad. Toffuti do cheeses aswell as cheese dips. It's not as bad as people think being a vegan. There's a huge choice in what we can have and I've actually found out more different types of fruit and veg and even beans since I went vegan so my choice is even bigger now.
Doom_and_Gloom
Yes I totally agree. The dairy industry is a very cruel industry indeed. I also agree with the offspring statement. Cow milk made to make little calf into a 300 odd pound cow so not good if humans consume it in my opinion.

Yes there is vegan cheese. Many kinds like cheezly which isn't too bad. Toffuti do cheeses aswell as cheese dips. It's not as bad as people think being a vegan. There's a huge choice in what we can have and I've actually found out more different types of fruit and veg and even beans since I went vegan so my choice is even bigger now.

I agree. When I went vegan, I thought "well it looks like there's not much for me to eat" as the quorn products which I used to eat as a vegetarian contain either egg or milk... But I get by nicely. I have vegan pizza, vegan lasagne, etc. Many people ask me what I eat, as they have the pre-conception that vegetarians and vegans live on lettuce and lentils...

I'm not a huge fan of the cheezly vegan cheese, but when I next go into Norwich, I might buy a different brand of vegan cheese, just to see if that's any better...
Reply 397
I'm veggie too! ( a no meat or fish kinda gal) have been for 11 years now nearly 12.
Reply 398
My father in law was a butcher for almost 30 years and is now vegan on health grounds. :biggrin:
My brother in law is doing a masters degree in raw food nutrition in the United States. There is a professor over there who treats (successfully) cocaine addiction purely through nutrition (vegan, raw food). After an initial period of losing weight your body eventually finds it's correct weight. My brother in law is reasonably muscular and is one of the most dynamic, energetic people I know. There is a hell of a lot to learn if you want to get it right and not risk your health but the results are amazing. :biggrin:
Reply 399
Salla
I wasn't referring to anyone, really. It just came to my mind because so many people like to point out it makes no sense to be a vegetarian since they don't eat "real food" and suffer from various deficiency diseases and are underfed and what else.

What comes to the food people eat at school or at work or anywhere away from home, it's their decision, were they vegetarians or not. If I knew there wasn't good lunch/snack available, I would bring my own food.

yea well I don't necessarily agree with those people coz I do think that veggie/vegans eat "real food" cept that you must admit, they're kind of an underfed lot.

ditto to your next point. :smile:

oh, and I've been wondering, do you consider one a vegetarian if they eat eggs? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest