The Student Room Group

TSR Veggie Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hylean

Original post by Hylean
Spaghetti bolognese.

Instead of mince meat, I use soya, mushrooms and then add spinach as well. Goooooorgeous.

What made you vegetarian? Was it your faith?
Original post by Hylean
Spaghetti bolognese.

Instead of mince meat, I use soya, mushrooms and then add spinach as well. Goooooorgeous.

You can also add Bisto original gravy, if you want it to taste like meat it really helps. I often use Bisto gravy when making vegetarian dishes for my family (who arn't vegetarian) and they all really enjoy it. And obviously its suitable for vegetarians :biggrin:.
Reply 982
Original post by DavidEllis
You can also add Bisto original gravy, if you want it to taste like meat it really helps. I often use Bisto gravy when making vegetarian dishes for my family (who arn't vegetarian) and they all really enjoy it. And obviously its suitable for vegetarians :biggrin:.

Throw me the recipe :biggrin:
Reply 983

Interesting, though it sounds rather mank. :p: I'm quite happy with the way mine tastes, to be honest. My parents have both eaten my veggie spag bol and not know the difference. The key is the spices and herbs. I hate the taste of soya on its own, so I mask it with spices, etc. It's my mum's recipe, though, but it's amazing. :coma:

That said, I found a wonderful recipe for a mushroom lasagne that was just to die for. Made it for a bunch of people and they all loved it.

Original post by blueray
What made you vegetarian? Was it your faith?

No. Why would my faith make me vegetarian? :s-smilie: If anything, neo-paganism is more supportive of being an omnivore.
Original post by Hylean

Original post by Hylean
Interesting, though it sounds rather mank. :p: I'm quite happy with the way mine tastes, to be honest. My parents have both eaten my veggie spag bol and not know the difference. The key is the spices and herbs. I hate the taste of soya on its own, so I mask it with spices, etc. It's my mum's recipe, though, but it's amazing. :coma:

That said, I found a wonderful recipe for a mushroom lasagne that was just to die for. Made it for a bunch of people and they all loved it.

No. Why would my faith make me vegetarian? :s-smilie: If anything, neo-paganism is more supportive of being an omnivore.

Hmmm no reason, just heard about some vegetarian quotes that's all :colone:
Reply 985
Ou hello, vegan here!!^^ :badger::elefant:
To all British Vegetarians

Here in England we have a show called 'That's Britain' about what annoys us british people. On that show they have a wall 'annoying' of things that people have emailed in over the week. After seeing Animal Rights on the wall I feel it is important to stand up for animals and show them what we think!

So can ALL British vegetarians (or otherwise I doubt it makes a difference) please asking them to email MEAT to [email protected] outlining why your against it!

Why would someone put animal rights on it?! Really stupid, I'll email now.
Original post by DemolitionLovers
Why would someone put animal rights on it?! Really stupid, I'll email now.

Tell your friends! :smile:
Hi! I just joined this society as I'm a vegan. :biggrin:
Original post by PianoKeys4
Hi! I just joined this society as I'm a vegan. :biggrin:

Hi :smile: How long have you been vegan? I've only been vegan around a month, but I'm loving it.
Original post by the_alba
Hi :smile: How long have you been vegan? I've only been vegan around a month, but I'm loving it.

I've been vegan for about four and half months, and was vegetarian for nearly two years before that. :biggrin:
To all British Vegetarians

Here in England we have a show called 'That's Britain' about what annoys us british people. On that show they have a wall 'annoying' of things that people have emailed in over the week. After seeing Animal Rights on the wall I feel it is important to stand up for animals and show them what we think!

So can ALL British vegetarians (or otherwise I doubt it makes a difference) please asking them to email MEAT to [email protected] outlining why your against it!

People are entitled to their opinion.

I find it annoying that some people refuse to acknowledge or question where their food comes from but I'm not about to email Auntie Beeb about it.
Reply 992
Does anyone have any decent links for whether certain alcoholic drinks are vegetarian/vegan?

Casually sat drinking wine last night with my vegan friend (who's teetotal anyway, for unrelated reasons) she informed me that some part of a fish's swim bladder might have been used in the production of it :eek: I feel physically unwell; I've only been vegetarian since late September, but I've wanted to for years, and the idea of accidentally having eaten something coming from a dead animal... :s-smilie:
Original post by kerily
Does anyone have any decent links for whether certain alcoholic drinks are vegetarian/vegan?

Casually sat drinking wine last night with my vegan friend (who's teetotal anyway, for unrelated reasons) she informed me that some part of a fish's swim bladder might have been used in the production of it :eek: I feel physically unwell; I've only been vegetarian since late September, but I've wanted to for years, and the idea of accidentally having eaten something coming from a dead animal... :s-smilie:

Isinglass :/

I told a vegetarian the other day she couldnt have some drinks for this very reason.
She seriously began to doubt her vegetarianism after doing it for 14 years.. purely because she couldnt have fosters anymore...:confused: I was shocked.

Anywho.. I've been vegan longer than i had been vegetarian..
Ive been vegan three years running Rheyyyy!! :biggrin:
Reply 994
That stuff in the spoiler was amazing :love:

I'll go back to that - thanks very much!

Original post by VanillaDoe
Isinglass :/

I told a vegetarian the other day she couldnt have some drinks for this very reason.
She seriously began to doubt her vegetarianism after doing it for 14 years.. purely because she couldnt have fosters anymore...:confused: I was shocked.

Anywho.. I've been vegan longer than i had been vegetarian..
Ive been vegan three years running Rheyyyy!! :biggrin:

Foster's tastes like urine anyway :confused:

I'll miss wine if I ever have to give that up, won't even lie, but as long as I can drink alcohol in some form, I'm not that bothered. At the end of the day, my principles and sense of revulsion comes first :tongue:
Reply 995
:sexface: That sounds beautiful. I'm going to have to try that next time.

I made a really, really nice bean curry the other night, but it used curry sauce out of a jar, which pales in comparison :emo:
dextrose in hot chocolate? Why?
Reply 997
Spices are like, a pound a packet and you need multiple packets, whereas this sauce was reduced like **** to the grand total of 40p - and it was Patak's :sexface: I'm going to invest in lots of spices after Christmas, but I don't have money at the moment :tongue:

That sounds nice! I also find that adding tinned soup to curry sauce can make it go further, if you're being lazy and doing it with pre-made sauce out of a jar :tongue:
Reply 998
I can get 14 servings out of a normal jar of Uncle Ben's Sweet and Sour, easily, with only a minor loss of flavour. Generally I try to avoid using pre-mades, except for curries, because they're expensive and I'd rather learn to cook myself.
This thread is fairly dead at the moment. Maybe everyone is too glutted on their fat veg*n xmas dinners! Mine was awesome.

Quick Reply

Latest