The Student Room Group

TSR Veggie Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpwxx
If you could that'd be great, but don't worry if it involves a lot of typing out!

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app

Here you go :smile: I measure in cups rather than grams, the original recipe came from this awesome book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Cookies-Invade-Your-Cookie/dp/160094048X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b) and I've found that you can do with less milk and more flour, and the baking powder isn't strictly necessary because they rise so much just with SR flour :smile:

3/4 cup soya margarine (tastes better than sunflower)
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup nondairy milk
1 1/2 cups plain or white self raising flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

For filling:
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 - 3 cups icing sugar

- beat margarine, sugar and vanilla together. Add most of the milk and dry ingredients.
- dough should be sticky and relatively thick, add extra flour as needed. Place in fridge for at least 10 min to firm it up a little.
- preheat oven to 160C
- cover dough & hands in flour and form small balls (like, just a pinch of dough) and flatten onto a tray (line with baking parchment, they can stick to almost anything). Flatten to about 1/8" (they do rise). (Actually rolling them out seems like far too much effort for something so sticky, but if you want to do it between two sheets of baking parchment, cut on the parchment, remove excess and transfer the whole sheet to a tray)
- bake for 12 mins
- mix filling ingredients in a blender, assemble once cookies are cool.

The most I've made from this amount is about 40 halves and the lowest 22. Enjoy :smile:
Reply 1181
Original post by twinlensreflex
Here you go :smile: I measure in cups rather than grams, the original recipe came from this awesome book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegan-Cookies-Invade-Your-Cookie/dp/160094048X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b) and I've found that you can do with less milk and more flour, and the baking powder isn't strictly necessary because they rise so much just with SR flour :smile:

3/4 cup soya margarine (tastes better than sunflower)
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup nondairy milk
1 1/2 cups plain or white self raising flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

For filling:
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 - 3 cups icing sugar

- beat margarine, sugar and vanilla together. Add most of the milk and dry ingredients.
- dough should be sticky and relatively thick, add extra flour as needed. Place in fridge for at least 10 min to firm it up a little.
- preheat oven to 160C
- cover dough & hands in flour and form small balls (like, just a pinch of dough) and flatten onto a tray (line with baking parchment, they can stick to almost anything). Flatten to about 1/8" (they do rise). (Actually rolling them out seems like far too much effort for something so sticky, but if you want to do it between two sheets of baking parchment, cut on the parchment, remove excess and transfer the whole sheet to a tray)
- bake for 12 mins
- mix filling ingredients in a blender, assemble once cookies are cool.

The most I've made from this amount is about 40 halves and the lowest 22. Enjoy :smile:

Thank you very much, I will add it to my recipe folder and give it a shot, I tend to be alright at baking so we'll see!

Xxc

Reply 1182
Good think I'm long term and thinking of changing things, then, ain't it.
Hi :smile: I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, have been since i was a foetus!
Although I have succumbed to the haribo and therefore eat gelatine...
Reply 1184
Original post by Nooshkabob
Hi :smile: I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, have been since i was a foetus!
Although I have succumbed to the haribo and therefore eat gelatine...

If you fancy trying to switch back, have a look in Holland and Barrett (sp?), or in some Co-op food stores. They do these jelly sweets in a green pack with I think a koala on the front, can't remember the name of the brand but they are really nice and proper jelly like... I really like the veggie haribo (funny mix) and veggie Percy pigs from M&S but this green brand has that proper bounce back you don't usually get with gelatine free sweets (usually your teeth just sink in). They do tropical ones I think, and these really jelly like red and white ones shaped like berries. Plus Cola bottles and all sorts!

Also welcome :smile:

Xxx

Original post by kpwxx
If you fancy trying to switch back, have a look in Holland and Barrett (sp?), or in some Co-op food stores. They do these jelly sweets in a green pack with I think a koala on the front, can't remember the name of the brand but they are really nice and proper jelly like... I really like the veggie haribo (funny mix) and veggie Percy pigs from M&S but this green brand has that proper bounce back you don't usually get with gelatine free sweets (usually your teeth just sink in). They do tropical ones I think, and these really jelly like red and white ones shaped like berries. Plus Cola bottles and all sorts!

Also welcome :smile:

Xxx

Oohh didn't know they did vegetarian versions... Sounds yummy, i'll look into that, thanks! :smile: x
Reply 1186
I'm a pescetarian and occasionally eat gelatine. As I'm the only veggie in my family I also have to have meat stock and stuff cooked in animal fat, my parents won't make an exception for me, and I think my mum won't buy vegetable stock cubes on principle?

Anyway, would you say I was semi-veggie? I've always called myself lacto-ovo vegetarian/pescetarian because I don't eat meat at all, but some people have had big disagreements with me over this.

Also veggie percy pigs are amazing! Even my non veggie friends prefer them now I've introduced them to them :smile:
Reply 1187
Original post by Alix23
I'm a pescetarian and occasionally eat gelatine. As I'm the only veggie in my family I also have to have meat stock and stuff cooked in animal fat, my parents won't make an exception for me, and I think my mum won't buy vegetable stock cubes on principle?

Anyway, would you say I was semi-veggie? I've always called myself lacto-ovo vegetarian/pescetarian because I don't eat meat at all, but some people have had big disagreements with me over this.

Also veggie percy pigs are amazing! Even my non veggie friends prefer them now I've introduced them to them :smile:

I wouldn't say you're a compete pescetarian but there's nothing wrong with having to compromise while you're at home... Some peoples families just won't allow it for whatever reason and when they're supplying your food you don't have much choice. Once you leave, or get a job and buy your own food then you'll have the choice to switch to all pescetarian friendly stuff, or lacto ovo if you'd prefer.

Tbh everyone has to make compromises. Some medicines I have taken probably weren't veggie friendly but that's an area where there isn't much provision so there isn't much choice if you want to stay healthy.

My best advice is don't worry what other people may say, discuss with them sure, debate helps us figure out our own priorities, but as long as you do what you can to do what you feel is right then it doesn't matter whether x label is completely correct or whatever... Tbh you aren't gonna go around saying to everyone the paragraph you wrote out above, it's easier to say I'm veggie and more useful as then it means you don't get meat in a restaurant etc.

Xxx

Reply 1188
Hey guys!

Check out our veggie blog!

If you're visiting Madrid, you can get some great tips on where to find great veggie food!

http://vegetarianvenues.wordpress.com/

Thanks!
2 veggies
Original post by Alix23

Given you eat fish, I would never say you are vegetarian anyway. Vegetarians don't eat any meat OR fish. Pescatarian, fair enough, although tbh I don't know how any of them would view meat stock/animal fat/gelatine.

Imo your mum not buying vegetable stock cubes on principle is weeeeird. My parents are meat eaters, and will use chicken or beef stock in recipes which call for it (obviously recipes which I don't end up eating) but the rest of the time they use vegetable stock by default. It's a better plain base for the meal. It's like the people who say they would never eat anything vegan and then you ask them if they eat chips (and the subsequent disgusted look of shock).

But agreed on veggie percy - so so good! Have you had the goody good stuff jelly sweets too?
Hey guys - what are the best veggie options at chip shops? I'm having my first take out tonight since turning veggie last year and used to have chips and gravy (and sometimes a battered sausage) but my local doesn't do any veggie burgers etc and plain chips is well boring haha. Anyone got any advice?
Reply 1191
Original post by Soph.Jade
Hey guys - what are the best veggie options at chip shops? I'm having my first take out tonight since turning veggie last year and used to have chips and gravy (and sometimes a battered sausage) but my local doesn't do any veggie burgers etc and plain chips is well boring haha. Anyone got any advice?

Well first of all check whether they use animal or vegetable fat. Most seem to use vegetable nowadays but you get a few (usually more traditional ones) which use animal.

Second shop around. Are there any other chip shops close enough to you? My favourite thing is battered mushrooms, you sometimes also get mozzarella sticks or veggie burgers, more rarely veggie nuggets, maybe pineapple fritters. You could always make suggestions to them for stuff to stock in future. If none of the above are available chips and beans are great, or you could go for a chip butty or just plain chips... Know it doesn't sound very exciting but at least they're filling so you won't be hungry!

I live in hope for the day I find a shop which does veggie battered sausages.

Xxx

Original post by kpwxx

x

I've checked and it's definitely vegetable oil :biggrin:

Battered mushrooms sound good! Will start a local campaign for battered veggie sausages if they don't have any haha.

Thanks for your advice :smile:
My local chippie uses veggie oil and my dad taught the guys there all English (they're from Europe), we always end up leaving with like 3 times as much stuff as we ordered for free. It's actually incredible, I always go for pineapple fritters from the chippie, they're godlike (albeit about 2000 degrees inside if you eat them too fast)
I didn't neg you by the way (I've only just returned to TSR after a long break). But the negs *might* have something to do with the phrase 'strict vegetarian', which tends to annoy / amuse vegans in equal measure. I don't think there *is* such a thing as a 'strict vegetarian' - if vegetarians were serious and strict about their consumption of products that cause death to animals, they'd be vegan. No?
Another veggie here, have never eaten anything non-veg in my life except eggs. Have stopped eating that as well now.
Hiya, life-long veggie here :biggrin: Not particularly strict about it in terms of eating gelatine (Percy Pigs and Haribo have been known to cross my lips), but other than that I've only eaten meat a couple of times (unknowingly!). My parents brought me up to be veggie so it's all I've ever known and I have no real interest in eating meat :smile: Would like to give veganism a go at some point - can you buy vegan chocolate?!
Reply 1197
Original post by bytail
Hiya, life-long veggie here :biggrin: Not particularly strict about it in terms of eating gelatine (Percy Pigs and Haribo have been known to cross my lips), but other than that I've only eaten meat a couple of times (unknowingly!). My parents brought me up to be veggie so it's all I've ever known and I have no real interest in eating meat :smile: Would like to give veganism a go at some point - can you buy vegan chocolate?!

Just a heads up, they note do veggie Percy pigs of you're interested :smile: and also a veggie haribo- funny mix. You can get it in supermarkets.

Xxx

Original post by kpwxx
Just a heads up, they note do veggie Percy pigs of you're interested :smile: and also a veggie haribo- funny mix. You can get it in supermarkets.

Xxx

Veggie Haribo?! I'm so getting some when I go to the shops later :biggrin:
Original post by kpwxx

Xxx

Yes, I've had the veggie Percy Pigs actually :biggrin: Never tried the Haribo though, will have to give them a go!

Quick Reply

Latest