The Student Room Group

TSR Veggie Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpwxx
Yeah people have said that to me before, something about my taste buds must mean I pick up on some flavour because to me its a very strong flavour to the point I can't ignore it!

And no, I tend to avoid Thai as I hate coconut lol. I realise this makes me sound really fussy but I'm not! Butternut Squash and celery/celeriac are the only vegetables I don't eat. I think coconut reminds me of nuts a bit which I'm mildly allergic to so I guess that's why I've never liked it.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's lots of Thai dishes without the coconut milk :h: if you like things with spice, I'm sure you'll like it.

I dont like just about all nuts, and I dont like coconut itself. But when I do Thai, the chilli and spices completely drown out any coconut flavour for me.

We all have things we don't like. I can't stand mushrooms, or most cheese (which makes eating out slightly harder, because most veggie options contain one or both) lol
Original post by Emaemmaemily
There's lots of Thai dishes without the coconut milk :h: if you like things with spice, I'm sure you'll like it.

I dont like just about all nuts, and I dont like coconut itself. But when I do Thai, the chilli and spices completely drown out any coconut flavour for me.

We all have things we don't like. I can't stand mushrooms, or most cheese (which makes eating out slightly harder, because most veggie options contain one or both) lol

Yeah I can imagine! I actually know quite a lot of people who hate mushrooms, there must be something about them!

I don't mind spicy but only when its part of the flavour, I don't like spice for spices sake. When I have an Indian meal I always go for mild dishes like biryani or similar. Coconut is one of those things my tongue picks out of everything!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Yeah I can imagine! I actually know quite a lot of people who hate mushrooms, there must be something about them!

I don't mind spicy but only when its part of the flavour, I don't like spice for spices sake. When I have an Indian meal I always go for mild dishes like biryani or similar. Coconut is one of those things my tongue picks out of everything!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thai stuff is certainly for the flavour :h: I recommend it.

I think it's the texture of mushrooms for me, Ew!
Snapchat--1063290348795933898.jpg

Try having this :tongue: Mom made it though :')
Are we allowed to show each other our veggie blogs? Just to exchange recipes?
Don't want the mods to get annoyed if I share it.
Are we allowed to show each other our veggie blogs? Just to exchange recipes?
Don't want the mods to get annoyed if I share it.

I'm no mod and I'm often surprised by what's not allowed, but looking at the guidelines I can't see why not. If you were purely promoting your blog then this wouldn't be the right thread for it (even though I'd consider it highly relevant!). But you aren't. You are sharing recipes which just happen to be on your personal blog.

If you're worried maybe stick the link in your signature for us to find and just mention it when something comes up!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
I'm no mod and I'm often surprised by what's not allowed, but looking at the guidelines I can't see why not. If you were purely promoting your blog then this wouldn't be the right thread for it (even though I'd consider it highly relevant!). But you aren't. You are sharing recipes which just happen to be on your personal blog.

If you're worried maybe stick the link in your signature for us to find and just mention it when something comes up!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, maybe I will put it in my Sig, good idea :h:

I'm always looking for new things to try :cute: we like variety
Hey everyone,
I am a Lacto- Vegetarian! :biggrin: And I love being it haha,,,, like us veggies have loads of options, and I love my Indian dishes as well as Italian :smile:

Rosh
Original post by glitzy08
Hey everyone,
I am a Lacto- Vegetarian! :biggrin: And I love being it haha,,,, like us veggies have loads of options, and I love my Indian dishes as well as Italian :smile:

Rosh

Welcome!!!

Indian restaurants do a great job of veggie a lot of the time. I live in Norwich and there's a veggie only Indian which is delicious :smile:

Xxz

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've cooked Indian dishes (given to be by Indian people) before, and really liked them. I can't stand Indian curries and takeaways though.
Would I enjoy an Indian restaurant, do you think?
Original post by kpwxx
Welcome!!!

Indian restaurants do a great job of veggie a lot of the time. I live in Norwich and there's a veggie only Indian which is delicious :smile:

Xxz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! was very excited to see this thread lol :smile: yeah there are loads in West Midlands aswell! Just soo many variety dishes, I LOVE food man... xx
I've cooked Indian dishes (given to be by Indian people) before, and really liked them. I can't stand Indian curries and takeaways though.

hmm well nowadays, you get a lot of varieties in Indian restaurants- like Italian, Pizzas etc... like you can get tandoori paneer pizza (which gives the pizza an indian touch lol), so you can maybe try those?

Also, you can give it a go if you want to, just maybe ask them for a curry or something with less chilli? :smile:

Rosh x

Probably some! Some Indian restaurants are more in the actual Indian style, some are more in the English Indian restaurant style (or so I hear... I've never been to India so can't vouch for the authenticity of any!). I guess the "authentic" ones would be much more your style.

There are a wide range of flavours so bound to be something you can find to enjoy, so I'd have a go. Look on TripAdvisor to see if you can find something people recommend as being a little different! But also try out the more common type too. I'm really in to anything with chick peas lately, and some restaurants do a dish which is several mini portions of different things with rice and nan so you get a nice taster. I can't remember the name for it, will try and google it. I am going to try and do the same with a Thai restaurant soon, after discussing on here! Worth a try definitely.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by glitzy08
hmm well nowadays, you get a lot of varieties in Indian restaurants- like Italian, Pizzas etc... like you can get tandoori paneer pizza (which gives the pizza an indian touch lol), so you can maybe try those?

Also, you can give it a go if you want to, just maybe ask them for a curry or something with less chilli? :smile:

Rosh x

Chilli isn't the problem, I love heat!
Original post by kpwxx
Probably some! Some Indian restaurants are more in the actual Indian style, some are more in the English Indian restaurant style (or so I hear... I've never been to India so can't vouch for the authenticity of any!). I guess the "authentic" ones would be much more your style.

There are a wide range of flavours so bound to be something you can find to enjoy, so I'd have a go. Look on TripAdvisor to see if you can find something people recommend as being a little different! But also try out the more common type too. I'm really in to anything with chick peas lately, and some restaurants do a dish which is several mini portions of different things with rice and nan so you get a nice taster. I can't remember the name for it, will try and google it. I am going to try and do the same with a Thai restaurant soon, after discussing on here! Worth a try definitely.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I should bite the bullet and try one. It's just a lot of money if I'm gonna waste it because I hate it lol.
I should try though.
Chilli isn't the problem, I love heat!

I guess I should bite the bullet and try one. It's just a lot of money if I'm gonna waste it because I hate it lol.
I should try though.

Well the main dish I normally have is usually about £8 so not much for eating out. Also that mini dishes thing... me and my husband shared it when we had it meaning it was half the price!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Well the main dish I normally have is usually about £8 so not much for eating out. Also that mini dishes thing... me and my husband shared it when we had it meaning it was half the price!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will have to be brave and try a nice Indian Restaurant I guess, hopefully I'll find something I like. I really liked the Indian recipes I was given, so there should be something :h:

I need more recipe ideas! I love trying new things
hi everyone! so ive been thinking about this alot lately but i really want to start a plant based lifestyle..i wouldnt say vegan lifestyle as i still use products that isnt animal free and still wear leather etcc

but i dont know where to start, i wasnt a vegetarian but i hardly ate meat anyway. people say its a big jump but i have been looking into it alot any i honestly think this is the lifestyle for me, just dont know where to start?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by newfreshstart
hi everyone! so ive been thinking about this alot lately but i really want to start a plant based lifestyle..i wouldnt say vegan lifestyle as i still use products that isnt animal free and still wear leather etcc

but i dont know where to start, i wasnt a vegetarian but i hardly ate meat anyway. people say its a big jump but i have been looking into it alot any i honestly think this is the lifestyle for me, just dont know where to start?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

PETA, whether you agree with their aims or methods, have some useful resources about going veggie and vegan, which would be helpful... I think you can order a free "starter pack" from their website. Then you can use the tips which are relevant to you.

What do you think you're going to find hardest?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
PETA, whether you agree with their aims or methods, have some useful resources about going veggie and vegan, which would be helpful... I think you can order a free "starter pack" from their website. Then you can use the tips which are relevant to you.What do you think you're going to find hardest?XxxPosted from TSR Mobile
thank alot :smile: i may struggle with being dairy-free, but im using substitues like almond milk atm, i also like looking for good vegan recipes too xxx
Veggie for 5 years, vegan for about 2 or 3 years now.
Thanks for making this thread. I'll need to make a recipe book for university or something.
:h:

Quick Reply

Latest