The Student Room Group

TSR Veggie Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quasa
non-lacto omnivore? (im guessing)

Original post by kpwxx
I think most would just say dairy free to be honest! Even though there's lacto Ovo veggie, lacto veggie etc most people just say veggie or vegan for those!

I aspire to join the ranks of ovo-vegetarian soon; I’ve already replaced some of my meat products with Quorn
Original post by quasa
forgot to introduce myself to the society :colonhash:

Im quasa and Im a semi omnivore who enjoys fruit ,veg, vegan, chicken dishes (not a fan of eggs tbh - Im not keen on eating young / baby / unborn animals but will eat adult chickens and the occasional sheep (beef I hardly touch and have a mostly hate relationship with fish)

Original post by RMR2002
I'm not exactly a 'vegetarian' not anywhere close really, but I just thought I'd say 'hi' because my best friend is a vegan and one of my friends has decided to go vegetarian. :smile:

BUT I am cutting down on eating meat, so my diet is more balanced and I become more healthy. :smile:

Welcome both! I am veggie but since a close friend has gone vegan we eat a lot more vegan meals. It's because she's such a wonderful cook, and it's easier and nicer to all eat stuff together too! I DEFINITELY think I'm a bit healthier because of it and it's good to know I'm at least cutting down on dairy even though I've not cut it out completely.
a problem with all these pseudo meat products, from a health perspective, is that they are all processed goods with tonnes of random stuff in it(so generally bad). truth is, there are quite a few good substitutes you can make at home (mushroom tends to be a good red meat substitute I find) but also :wink: inned jackfruit is a surprisingly good meat substitute)
Original post by quasa
a problem with all these pseudo meat products, from a health perspective, is that they are all processed goods with tonnes of random stuff in it(so generally bad). truth is, there are quite a few good substitutes you can make at home (mushroom tends to be a good red meat substitute I find) but also :wink: inned jackfruit is a surprisingly good meat substitute)

I see your point, they are likely highly processed; but surely they’re healthier than hormone and antibiotic pumped meat? I’m not a big fan of mushrooms tbh either
Original post by kpwxx
Welcome both! I am veggie but since a close friend has gone vegan we eat a lot more vegan meals. It's because she's such a wonderful cook, and it's easier and nicer to all eat stuff together too! I DEFINITELY think I'm a bit healthier because of it and it's good to know I'm at least cutting down on dairy even though I've not cut it out completely.

Cutting down on meat has definitely had positive consequences for me. It has made an immense difference to me when I'm on my period because I get a lot less menstrual cramps, and even when I do get them, they're not you 'kill me now' type of cramps, they do hurt a little bit but the pain is bearable.
all im saying is you can make alternatives at home than spend money on that stuff ( all veggie / vegan sausages (well sausages in general I find tbh) are rubbish, so its worth experimenting at home).

heck Im currently experimenting on making vegan puff pastry and have already got an vegan custard recipe - need to try a paleo vegan jam idea Ive had brewing in my head for while (paleo in the sense of it has maple syrup instead of sugar, as it is, I make jame with a low added sugar content (around 25-30% added sugar vs 50% + for all other jams, included reduced sugar jams which have tonnes of random ingredients)
(edited 4 years ago)
woo I'm paprika and I've been a vegetarian for 4 years sometime in the coming weeks. I've been vegan in the past but due to my ED my parents forced me to consume dairy :frown: yesterday I ate plant based though!!
Original post by mpaprika
woo I'm paprika and I've been a vegetarian for 4 years sometime in the coming weeks. I've been vegan in the past but due to my ED my parents forced me to consume dairy :frown: yesterday I ate plant based though!!

Balancing health with different diets can be really tricky from what I've seen! I view being veggie as a luxury for myself. I can currently do it easily, affordably and healthily so I do. But if you can't balance it health wise, or can't do it because of circumstances or other people in your life then that's how it is.
Original post by quasa
all im saying is you can make alternatives at home than spend money on that stuff ( all veggie / vegan sausages (well sausages in general I find tbh) are rubbish, so its worth experimenting at home).

heck Im currently experimenting on making vegan puff pastry and have already got an vegan custard recipe - need to try a paleo vegan jam idea Ive had brewing in my head for while (paleo in the sense of it has maple syrup instead of sugar, as it is, I make jame with a low added sugar content (around 25-30% added sugar vs 50% + for all other jams, included reduced sugar jams which have tonnes of random ingredients)

Yeah refined a sugar is definitely a big thing to cut out; it isn’t a natural part of the diet at all and our body has ways of getting glucose from carbs. But I thought sugar was vegan?
For the people who still consume egg products:
sugar is vegan but its heavily processed. even the unrefined stuff (known in asian cultures as Gaur or jaggery) is a bit naff as well. Honey can be a good alternative but isnt vegan. Agave nectar has a surprisingly high sugar content, so maple syrup is probably the best unprocessed sugar substitute (in terms of processed, stevia is but its hard to find unadulterated steviol which hasnt been cut with other monosaccharides or dissacharides).

with jam making, I find a bit of an issue with using liquids vs sugar itself is that a massive advantage of using sugar in jam making is that using sugar tends to draw out the fluid from the fruit (i let it macerate overnight), which in turns means that your jam tends to a) have a lower water content (good for baking and shelf life) and b) from personal experience, more pectin is released which means firmer jam. from experiments with honey, this doesnt happen, so am curious to see if maple syrup (proper stuff, not the adulterated stuff you get from most supermarkets) is good for jam making (cant be asked experimenting atm but am interested to see if others try it.

Also whilst on the topic of jam making, you do not need equal portions of fruit and sugar. From personal experience, if you are using berries, you can get away with a 3:1 to 7:3 ratio of fruit:sugar to have great tasting jam with long(ish) shelf life (half a kilo can stay in the fridge for a month in a container, havent seen if it lasts longer as its finished by then). For very sweet fruits, go for 3:1 or lower sugar, whereas a but more sugar is needed for sour stuff.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest