The Student Room Group

TRANSFER TO AMERICA..helppp

hey guys
i was wondering if anybody can help me

im thinking of transferring to an american university after i complete one year of uni here in england!

so i will hopefully start in 2010 there!

im looking at NYU and UVA and GWU and TUFTS and some others

do any of you know how to go about it... i mean would it matter what university i went to in england.. i presume all that matters is the grades you attain in your first year right?!

please somebody help loool

will be gratefull...because right now i feel like im doing this too late! lol
Reply 1
hahaha21
i presume all that matters is the grades you attain in your first year right?!

Nope. You will need to submit grades/A-levels completed before university, as well as SAT scores, recommendations, extracurricular activities, and everything else.

Basically, a transfer application is a freshman application with an extra transcript.

Transfer admit rates:
GWU 44.5%
NYU 35.1%
Tufts 10%
UVA 36.8%
Reply 2
Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm in the same situation except I'm doing a 4 year degree in Scotland and I want to transfer to the USA after my 2nd year.

Anyone have any further information ?

Thanks devil09.

Sorry for the hijack hahaha21.
Reply 3
devil09
Nope. You will need to submit grades/A-levels completed before university, as well as SAT scores, recommendations, extracurricular activities, and everything else.

Basically, a transfer application is a freshman application with an extra transcript.

Transfer admit rates:
GWU 44.5%
NYU 35.1%
Tufts 10%
UVA 36.8%

so i will still need to do SATS...???

what about ACT? which is better....will each uni like that?

thank you sooooo much
Reply 4
hahaha21
so i will still need to do SATS...???

what about ACT? which is better....will each uni like that?

thank you sooooo much

ACT and SATS are equally respected.
gyyy2807
ACT and SATS are equally respected.

Some universities prefer one over the other. Check with your uni.
Reply 6
Mancala Hour
Some universities prefer one over the other. Check with your uni.

really? all the ones I've looked at said they didn't have a preference.
A lot of universities will take either.
Reply 8
Some information for you to consider.

Transfer Acceptance Rates
Rice University: 25.79%
Boston College: 9%
George Washington University: 43%
New York University: 35.1%
Georgetown: 18.2%
BU: 28.5%
UVA: 34.8%
Tufts: 19.7%
Cornell: 27.45%
Northwestern: 22%
UCLA: 34.5%
USC: 29.3%

NYU
College GPA most important. High school record and SAT scores considered. Minimum 1 year of college-level work recommended for most programs; required for some. Transfers generally not accepted for engineering program with Stevens Institute of Technology. High School Transcript, College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s) required.
* Required: SAT Reasoning Test or ACT
* If submitting ACT, the writing section is required
* Required for Some: SAT Subject Tests

UVA
Courses examined to determine parity and whether they meet distribution requirement. Minimum 3.3 GPA recommended. Entering junior transfers not completing area requirements must do so in summer school prior to enrollment in the fall. High School Transcript, College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s) required.

George Washington
Academic merit of applicant's prior college work most important. Students may not transfer directly into journalism, political communication, speech communication and radio and television programs. College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s) required.

Tufts
Primary consideration given to college and secondary school achievement and record of personal involvement. Written statement of reasons for transfer, dean's reference required. High School Transcript, College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Standardized Test Scores, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s) required.
* Required: SAT Reasoning Test and SAT Subject Tests; or ACT

Also, maybe you can consider applying to:

Cornell
High School Transcript, College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s) required. Selection requirements and criteria vary by college/program.

Boston University
High School Transcript, College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Standardized Test Scores, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s) required.
* Required: SAT Subject Tests

Northwestern
High School Transcript, College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Standardized Test Scores, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s) required. College record most important. Must have 1 year of college work (24 semester hours or 36 quarter hours). Transfers to theater, radio, television, film, and journalism limited and considered for fall term only.
* Recommended: SAT Subject Tests
* Required for Some: SAT Subject Tests

UCLA
College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s) required. Transfer minimum college GPA is 2.4 for California residents; 2.8 for non-residents. Complete course pattern with 2.0 grade or better; 2 English composition, 1 mathematical concept and quantitative reasoning, and 4 additional courses. Preparation for intended major.

USC
High School Transcript, College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement required.
* Considered if Submitted: SAT Subject Tests

Boston College
High School Transcript, College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Standardized Test Scores, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s) required. College academic record most important. Strength of program, degree of preparation for major, test scores, essays, recommendations, interview, extracurricular/community service/employment considered. Students with fewer than 3 transferable courses at accredited institution must apply as entering freshmen.

Georgetown
High School Transcript, College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Standardized Test Scores, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s) required.
* If submitting ACT, the writing section is optional
* Recommended: SAT Subject Tests

Rice University
High School Transcript, College Transcript(s), Essay or Personal Statement, Standardized Test Scores, Statement of good standing from Prior Institutions(s) required. Primary emphasis on college performance. Recommendations from 2 professors and dean of students required. Architecture applicants must submit a portfolio. Music applicants must audition.
Reply 9
HOO RAH RAY, HOO RAH RAY, RAY, RAY, U-V-A!

:biggrin:

I just completed my first year at UVa; you would LOVE it. It is a really amazing place, especially for international students. I am an American (actually, in-state for UVa), and my group of friends were ALL international, no joke. I'm transferring to Bristol this year, but only because I want to live abroad for a bit, not at all because UVa isn't absolutely fantastic.

Latest

Trending

Trending