The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Term Dates

I'm possibly coming to Exeter in September, but I've got concerns about the term dates. I've looked on the university website, and according to that, autumn term finishes on the 18th December - this seems ridiculously late (school finished earlier than that...) and if I do come to Exeter, I'll definitely need to leave 4/5 days earlier because of commitments both to attend my current school's awards ceremony and my christmas holiday which was booked nearly 6 months ago, when I didn't know which university I was going to and assumed that the holidays would be in line with universities rather than schools. Would that cause a problem? Or is there something wrong with the dates? I've looked at other uni websites and they all seem to finish earlier, plus it looks like the length of the terms is really unequal :s-smilie: plus this year, term finished a week earlier.
Reply 1
Yup, they changed the term dates this year. There has been a lot of commotion about it all.

It depends which department you're in as to whether people will mind you leaving early. But 5 days isn't too bad, especially as you'll be in first year when no one seems to care about anything. I'd write to your tutor as soon as you get assigned one explaining the issue & that there isn't a lot you can do about it. As long as you get all assignments in before you leave, you'll be fine.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Kahani_Moon
Yup, they changed the term dates this year. There has been a lot of commotion about it all.

It depends which department you're in as to whether people will mind you leaving early. But 5 days isn't too bad, especially as you'll be in first year when no one seems to care about anything. I'd write to your tutor as soon as you get assigned one explaining the issue & that there isn't a lot you can do about it. As long as you get all assignments in before you leave, you'll be fine.

ah, ok thanks :smile: I'll be doing English - do you think they'd mind me leaving early (and do you know if they generally have a reputation for being nice/nasty?)
Reply 3
New terms are a bit of a joke. I think Christmas is only 2 weeks next academic year?
Reply 4
lmcorr
New terms are a bit of a joke. I think Christmas is only 2 weeks next academic year?

according to the website it's 18th December - 11th January...
and here was me thinking that university holidays are supposed to be longer than school ones :frown: and that autumn term looks horrifically long considering there's no mid-term break :frown:
Reply 5
Christmas holidays are three weeks next year, and Easter four. To be fair, that is longer than school holidays, or longer than mine were anyway!
I'm a bit unsure about how long the terms are now too, I think it will be tiring, but it's more similar to other universites now I guess.
Reply 6
sadie-kiki
ah, ok thanks :smile: I'll be doing English - do you think they'd mind me leaving early (and do you know if they generally have a reputation for being nice/nasty?)

I just finished doing English actually! They're generally really lovely. Julia Davey is the school admin person & the one that can be nasty if you get on the wrong side of her! The teaching staff though are all lovely & enough of them have cancelled classes on me, so shouldn't mind you missing one or two. If at the beginning of term you think they're not going to be cool with it, just email them on the day of the class you missed saying you're ill. Loads of people do it towards the end of term & they're used to it.

With English it's not like you'll be missing hours of class a day with only 6 hours a week, so if you have most of your hours at the beginning of the week, you won't miss too much. Even if you do miss a whole week, the way the course is structured you only ever need to know a couple of week's work to do the essays & exams, so I wouldn't worry. If you have any more questions about the course/uni, feel free to ask :smile:

Apparently they changed the term dates around so that summer term finished earlier "in line with other unis" so that people would have more opportunity to take work placements & travel. As far as I can tell, most people preferred the old 4 weeks at Christmas, 5 at Easter & 2-3 months over the summer, than having a couple more weeks in summer. Will be interesting to see how this changes things once they've had a year of seeing how it goes.
Reply 7
new term dates are ***** :colonhash:
Reply 8
lmcorr

It was 2 weeks in the first set of term dates, but they changed it to three (thank goodness) when everyone complained...
Reply 9
kayzy
new term dates are ***** :colonhash:

I agree. Complete ********. I'm going to die by the end of the first term, like hell my concentration can keep going for that long! My brain is frazzled by 8 weeks in let alone 12 or whatever >.< At least I don't have Jan exams...only saving grace!
Who doesn't get reading weeks? Business School doesn't. We usually get a snooty email from the Undergraduate Office when all the Politics people get their reading week saying that everything is still on as usual and that absences aren't acceptable, because of all the people doing Economics and Politics who get confused. 10 weeks is horrible, I can't bear the thought of 12 weeks.
Maths don't either. Closest to reading week we get is the week before exams in Jan when (hopefully) all the lectures are revision lectures. Otherwise, nada. We get the emails as well.
Well the only problem I can see in the OPs case is that she will have to hand in all her assignments before she leaves, and there WILL be plenty of assignments to hand in, as due to the term structure the first term modules will finish when the first term ends (as opposed to finishing at the end of January last year) so there will be essays to hand in etc. And being in the English dept, they don't release the essay titles until a set time before the deadline. I think its 2 or 3 weeks before the deadline that the titles are released. This will give you a week less than everyone else in which to do your essays and all the other stuff. Bit of a disadvantage.
Reply 13
Aren't they getting rid of Jan exams too?
Fookin' ridiculous.
Ramble
Aren't they getting rid of Jan exams too?
Fookin' ridiculous.

They're cutting them down. Maybe some departments will no longer have them.
Reply 15
The Geography department didnt have a reading week either. Im not sure about the new term dates either....didnt see what was wrong with the way it was this year...but hey!

Latest

Trending

Trending