The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Comp_Genius
Why is that? Medschools take applicants based on grades not how rich you are. whywould med schools take applicant sbased on how rich they are?

sorry, what are you trying to say?

if you're asking about economic restrcitnis, you surely dont think its all an even pitch for everyone simply becos EVERYONE gets a loan or grant and the same fees. You arent that cut off from society that you cant see the differences in people'e lives, are you?
Reply 181
Cairo MEDic
Nurses harbour a lot of resentment. Even between each other, they are vultures, anal-retentive and narcissistic.

Of course I generalise ridiculously.

all professions do.

you've just never worked in even one before, 'ence your tunnel vision.
Gizmo!
the general pattern i've seen over the last ten years is this.

the majority of medic wannabes are too stupid to look at other health care professions, and this coincides with them being in an education system that rewards them for choosing redbrick universities and courses that look good for their school. Economic excess ensures they get to med school, which they probably wouldnt manage without those economic advantages.

most nurses tend to look at both professions, and have he ability to do either,but their econimic restrictions prevent them frmo makng a decent application to medical school.

medical schools in general exacerbate thesituation by marketing themselves towards the former group - the ones who they can profit from the most. Thus there courses and selection proceudre becomes built around this former group, typically the schoolboy from surrey, rather than the school girl from ireland.

sorri if the truth hurts, but its the truth!

Very well said :smile:
Reply 183
yes it might get some stick, but in truth, the medics who DONT know why they are in med school far outnumber those who do know why they came.
This is a genuine observation from my work in two med schools and studying at another two, sorri guys, i dont mean to hurt you!

of course, the number of nurses who came over to study in london just to get away from home (and for the bursary) beggars belief too, you know.

There are no limits to my onesty hehe.
Gizmo!
whywould med schools take applicant sbased on how rich they are?

sorry, what are you trying to say?

if you're asking about economic restrcitnis, you surely dont think its all an even pitch for everyone simply becos EVERYONE gets a loan or grant and the same fees. You arent that cut off from society that you cant see the differences in people'e lives, are you?

I said they don't take applicants based on their wealth. But I didn't see your point about economic restrictions of potential nursing students not being able to apply for medicine.

Well people who are less well off have grants to support them as well as the loan, that is more than people who have families which have income above the threshold, so paradoxically these people can only get the loan not the grant.
Reply 185
Comp_Genius
I said they don't take applicants based on their wealth.
well why raise it as an issue if we arent arguing about it? thats why i didnt see your point, macca.

Well people who are less well off have grants to support them as well as the loan, that is more than people who have families which have income above the threshold, so paradoxically these people can only get the loan not the grant.
i'm guessing you are quite youngish, and you are at some stage when dont get to see people outside your social circle (who are all similar to you to a degree) much, so i understand why you wouldnt see the people who are discluded from mounting an application. but i'm pretty sure you 'ave much more empathy than you are currently displaying. you sound like a bright chap, i say.

i am sure you can appreciate that someone working at tescos full time tiring 'ours to pay 'elp their families bills and costs cant put in the same 'ours to studing or getting even work experience as a full time A lvl student who twiddles their thumbs in classes or in corridors most days of the week.perhaps you just didnt think before answerng, and you can now understand the multiple scenarios of this situation up and down the country. i rather doubt you cant actually know this appens, you simply just replied wiffout finking it thru, macca.
Reply 186
ah.

i see your misguided former point now. you've confused 'marketing policy' with 'admissions policy'.
Gizmo!
ah.

i see your misguided former point now. you've confused 'marketing policy' with 'admissions policy'.

Ah.. sorry I misinterpreted. You mean who the schools 'sell' themselves to - but a lot of schools have access schemes?
Reply 188
if you fink for a second that the access schemes are a wild success then you'd be misinformed macca.

mst of the access places are pinched by 'failed etonians' who disguise their UCAS application - a lot of them use this forum, you know. pure evil.
Reply 189
Gizmo!
nurses instruct doctor on patient's condition....

OTs inform doctors on patients development....

the list is endless, and doctor then acts on their advice.

the only 'end of' here that you've chosen to lose an argument that you started.

:blah: yep sure.
Reply 190
Gizmo!
if you fink for a second that the access schemes are a wild success then you'd be misinformed macca.

mst of the access places are pinched by 'failed etonians' who disguise their UCAS application - a lot of them use this forum, you know. pure evil.

Lol on further reading, if you think im goign to be told im wrong by some idiot who rights and proably talks like this you are very much mistaken. I suggest you stop talking ******** and **** off.
Gizmo!

Imo universities have spent far too much on it. It is fine as it is. We just just scrap the whole thing, to free up funds for actual education.
Reply 192
Comp_Genius
Imo universities have spent far too much on it. It is fine as it is. We just just scrap the whole thing, to free up funds for actual education.

What do you mean actual education? Do people on these causes get a psuedo education?
Reply 193
Trigger
Lol on further reading, if you think im goign to be told im wrong by some idiot who rights and proably talks like this you are very much mistaken. I suggest you stop talking ******** and **** off.

but you didnt ignore me, you replied lol.

you should, on the other 'and, perhaps pay some attention to someone who has been around long enough to 'ave been involved in the initiation of the access schemes in the first place.

i'm starting to glean why ALL the posts on at least this fread either ignore you or slate you, young Trigger. thats an apt name, btw.
Reply 194
Gizmo!
you should, on the other 'and, perhaps pay some attention to someone who has been around long enough to 'ave been involved in the initiation of the access schemes in the first place.

so cheers, kiddie, good choice in ignoring me. but i'm starting to glean why ALL the posts on at least this fread either ignore you or slate you, young Trigger.

Lol as you have no idea of where i work or what ive done i shall choose to disregard your stupidity :h: and i think youl find a lot of people agree with me :smile:
Reply 195
Sarky
What do you mean actual education? Do people on these causes get a psuedo education?

I think what he means is to scrap the access schemes, and to plow that money back into providing free/very funded places instead.
Reply 196
Trigger
Lol as you have no idea of where i work or what ive done i shall choose to disregard your stupidity :h: and i think youl find a lot of people agree with me :smile:
says you.

(still not ignoring me then. :wink: )
Reply 197
i wouldnt scrap access, but it needs tidying up for sure. it needs to be targetted better towards peeple who need it, rather than letting 'failed etonians' slip through the net.
Reply 198
Gizmo!
says you.

(still not ignoring me then. :wink: )

Pretty sure both times i said disreguard...
Reply 199
Trigger
Pretty sure both times i said disreguard...

still continuing the need to reply to me to state you are ignoring me then, seven posts on.

i'd much rather you entered an interesting friendly debate at my side instead of writhing in proverbial pain at my feet, macca, so i'll 'appily reply to you, even if you choose to ....ahem.. ignore me by continuing to reply to me. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending