The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i watched loads of gorey videos on a particular website (and i mean bloody scary ones!!) and was soon used to it. Makes u view the human body in a completely different way.
Reply 21
Toiletpaper8
I've not had anyone bleed profusely in front of me yet, so I can't say for sure although I don't see why I would be bothered by it.

I mean, during work experience and stuff, I've had people cough phlegm onto me... I managed to get pissed on as well by an old man - don't ask... and that stuff didn't really bother me that much. I mean, of course I didn't like it - who would, but it didn't really affect me that much.

i think if you don't mind this kinda stuff it's confirmation medicine is for you:p:

Reply 22
I have never been around blood before
123 alexis
I have never been around blood before

so you've never had a cut?
I've never really had a problem with blood or the various other bodily fluids.
Subcutaneous
so you've never had a cut?

That's obviously not what they meant.
I am beyond caring. Then again i wasnt that squemish to begin with.
One thing that gets me though is sick.
Someone was sick the other day and i couldnt hang around.
Reply 27
I'm fine with it, I got used to it after watching numerous surgery/medicine programmes.
It depends where it comes from I suppose. If it's someone elses blood when I haven't touched anything sharp I'd be suspicious.

Have I missed the point?
Reply 29
its all meat to me
When i was on work ex i realised i wasnt at all, was usually trying to get a better look not the opposite way. We deal with animal blood in the labs and the people who were screamish soon got over it.
Reply 31
I can handle surgery, blood and death perfectly fine in real life. But that anatomy live actually makes me want to chuck up, I think I feel better if I'm elbow deep in the action lol.
Im a hopeful applicant and i am not sqemish one bit, but i would be wary (safety sense) of any blood that isnt mine in a clincal situation.

I think tolerence comes with experience, medicine is definately not a glam job. I am lucky that my life has afforded me this experience. I am a farmer so i get **** and pissed on most days, have calved literally hundreds of cows with ruptures, ceasars, many a breached bovine baby. In my degree (Anatomy Queens) i have dissected a human head to toe, really useful having a cadaver as so many med schools dont use them!

NB know what your letting yourself in for! apparently there is at least 10 (of 300) students who throw up during first dissection in our med school, the formulin needs getting used to.
harryf08
To those of you who are applying for medicine, do you already know you are comfortable with blood and seeing a heart beating while in surgery? If you have not seen it before how do you know how you will react? If you feel unwell it would be a waste of time applying, would it not.

I dunno, ive seen lots on tv but when i went to see a CAB i was ok! :woo:

But what really got me was the smell of burning flesh and bones......
Reply 34
harryf08
To those of you who are applying for medicine, do you already know you are comfortable with blood and seeing a heart beating while in surgery? If you have not seen it before how do you know how you will react? If you feel unwell it would be a waste of time applying, would it not.

In my work experience I was worried that I might faint when I went into surgery. Not because I was squeamish but from the lectures we had before it seemed like it happened to quite a few people. When I went in I was fine. The person who I was paired up with did faint however and was amazed that he did as it was his first time that he has fainted in his life. He still wanted to do medicine after fainting so it's not all that bad

Latest

Trending

Trending