The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
3 hrs a day. Mostly learning latin set text but doing some chem past papers too.
For the last week, Ive been revising pretty solidly for about 6-8hours a day, most just physics and maths, which are unbelievebly time consuming. 3 hours just flies by!
I still dont think Ill fit it all in before my exam in about 2 weeks...
hearthethunder
Well I was put in for AS French because I didn't wanna do GCSE Spanish and I already had an A in French - and had an A* in English Lit so put in for AS for that...

I'm doing French again at college because due to the fact that we have like 5 lessons less than we're supposed to and we're only predicted Cs so I'm treating this one as a practice...

As for doing a third of them early - Biology becuase I'm doing triple science, Eng and Eng Lit, erm I have no idea why, and French because I was doing fast-track languages

But I am glad I did them a year earlier - it means I have less to revise this time around

Wow, that's really cool. My school doesn't do anything like that. Well, I did an AVCE in ICT in Years 10-11, but regretted it when I realised how much work it was! I got a D in the end, which was really annoying because it was only 3 marks off a C, but I wasn't really bothered about it and I'm not going to declare it on my UCAS form. It would have been cool to get a few GCSEs out of the way early though as there were so many subjects to revise! I hope you did better in French than you think, and even if you do get a C, that's still a brilliant achievement for Year 11. Out of my class of 5, the others will be lucky to scrape Es and Ds judging by the past papers we've done! You don't have to do the whole thing again next year though, you can just do resits.
kellywood_5
Wow, that's really cool. My school doesn't do anything like that. Well, I did an AVCE in ICT in Years 10-11, but regretted it when I realised how much work it was! I got a D in the end, which was really annoying because it was only 3 marks off a C, but I wasn't really bothered about it and I'm not going to declare it on my UCAS form. It would have been cool to get a few GCSEs out of the way early though as there were so many subjects to revise! I hope you did better in French than you think, and even if you do get a C, that's still a brilliant achievement for Year 11. Out of my class of 5, the others will be lucky to scrape Es and Ds judging by the past papers we've done! You don't have to do the whole thing again next year though, you can just do resits.

I'd prefere to do French next year anyway - I really like the language and since I'm doing like 5A2s I'll be better off at least being used to one of them anyway... hoping to get an A in English AS yeahh but can't wait for results day
hearthethunder
I'd prefere to do French next year anyway - I really like the language and since I'm doing like 5A2s I'll be better off at least being used to one of them anyway... hoping to get an A in English AS yeahh but can't wait for results day

I'm dreading my English results lol! I think I did well in half of Unit 1, but the other half of Unit 1 and Unit 2 were nasty. I got an A in my coursework though, which is worth 30%, and I'm just praying the boundaries will be low. I'm pretty sure I did well in sociology and French though, so as long as history goes well, it won't be too bad.
kellywood_5
I'm dreading my English results lol! I think I did well in half of Unit 1, but the other half of Unit 1 and Unit 2 were nasty. I got an A in my coursework though, which is worth 30%, and I'm just praying the boundaries will be low. I'm pretty sure I did well in sociology and French though, so as long as history goes well, it won't be too bad.

I didn't know the boundaries were variable on AQA AS Levels?? I hope they are that makes things easier for me than getting over 80% - I did Enduring Love, Thomas Hardy and The Glass Menagerie... Only one I liked was enduring love
hearthethunder
I didn't know the boundaries were variable on AQA AS Levels?? I hope they are that makes things easier for me than getting over 80% - I did Enduring Love, Thomas Hardy and The Glass Menagerie... Only one I liked was enduring love

The UMS boundaries are the ones that are fixed, and they're the same for all exam boards- 80% for an A, 70% for a B, 60% for a C, 50% for a D and 40% for an E. The raw marks needed for certain UMS marks, ie what you actually get in the exam, change from year to year depending on how hard the paper is, same as for GCSEs. I did the Edexcel poetry anthology, Translations and Hard Times, plus Much Ado About Nothing for coursework.
kellywood_5
The UMS boundaries are the ones that are fixed, and they're the same for all exam boards- 80% for an A, 70% for a B, 60% for a C, 50% for a D and 40% for an E. The raw marks needed for certain UMS marks, ie what you actually get in the exam, change from year to year depending on how hard the paper is, same as for GCSEs. I did the Edexcel poetry anthology, Translations and Hard Times, plus Much Ado About Nothing for coursework.

Ahh thanks yeah that takes a lot of stress off - I got like 29% of the 30% available in cwk so I think I MIGHT have just got an A - I just hope the marker is nice
hearthethunder
Ahh thanks yeah that takes a lot of stress off - I got like 29% of the 30% available in cwk so I think I MIGHT have just got an A - I just hope the marker is nice

I worked out that I got 27% of the 30% for coursework, so hopefully if the examiner's nice I'll do okay. Best of luck for results day! I feel sorry for you having to go through it twice!
Haha thanks good luck - I'm sure my nerves will be numbed after several repetitions
Reply 30
not enough
Wish I could've done English Lit a year early and gotten some exams out of the way! Don't think I could've coped with doing French early though!!

Eek -re revision - none for my next four exams :frown:

2 History, 2 Law

I should be starting my revision, what's wrong with me?? I *have* to get As if I want to get into uni, you'd think that would be motivation enough... :confused: am so lazy it's disgusting.
*Bethany*
Wish I could've done English Lit a year early and gotten some exams out of the way! Don't think I could've coped with doing French early though!!

Eek -re revision - none for my next four exams :frown:

2 History, 2 Law

I should be starting my revision, what's wrong with me?? I *have* to get As if I want to get into uni, you'd think that would be motivation enough... :confused: am so lazy it's disgusting.

Aww, you still have 4 exams? That's harsh. I just have 2 history :aetsch: and the Germany paper is source based, so doesn't require too much revision. On the 3 mocks we've done, I've got 23, 24 and 25 out of 30 (I'm improving ridiculously slowly!) which are all As, so I'm not too worried about that. Just the Italy paper that will require revision at some point during half-term.
kellywood_5
Aww, you still have 4 exams? That's harsh. I just have 2 history :aetsch: and the Germany paper is source based, so doesn't require too much revision. On the 3 mocks we've done, I've got 23, 24 and 25 out of 30 (I'm improving ridiculously slowly!) which are all As, so I'm not too worried about that. Just the Italy paper that will require revision at some point during half-term.

you're sooooooo lucky :frown: it's law I'm totally freaked about, and Russia. I got full marks on the 2 German mocks so not worried about those so much, but our history teacher for Russia didn't teach us *anything* :bawling:
*Bethany*
you're sooooooo lucky :frown: it's law I'm totally freaked about, and Russia. I got full marks on the 2 German mocks so not worried about those so much, but our history teacher for Russia didn't teach us *anything* :bawling:

Luckily history is the kind of subject you can learn from textbooks pretty easily. For sociology, I crammed for about 5 hours for Unit 1 and 5 minutes for Unit 2 (really good teacher and lots of mocks) and I thought the exams went really well, so law shouldn't be a problem.
Reply 35
I started doing a couple of hours a night last week, took a day off and now can't be bothered to start again! And I really need to revise especially for Biology and Physics!
no less than 4 hours of biology per day. :mad:

chemistry and english can wait..........
Reply 37
I just revise all day from about 10am to about 12 the next morning, planning on doing that until exams are over.
Reply 38
same here work from 10 but finish by bout 9 so can sleep (bout 8 hours if take away pc and tv time)
cant revise at night, feel tired
for anyone doing as geography do not bother revising 2 days before your exam, concentrate more on harder a2's such as sciences and maths etc.
thats why i do chemistry and biology most of time as only got 1 geo exam so less of a need to revise for it
Reply 39
emma155
I just revise all day from about 10am to about 12 the next morning, planning on doing that until exams are over.

Oh Thank God, I thought no one here studies all day, I also study mostly all day, while watching TV in background (sometimes) :rolleyes:

Latest