The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do with my life!! Help?

Edit...I am at university already, going into 2nd year in a matter of weeks, so I do have two years essentially, but I'd like to get some work experience under my belt in the next two years so I have to really start thinking about this now...

I know I'm probably not the only one like this, but it's kinda worrying me since my parents/family keep asking me.

I have literally no idea what I want to do with my life after university. I've constantly changed my mind about careers...I'd like to write (as in journalism), but firstly I don't think I'm good enough, and secondly I don't think my personality would fit that ruthless, cut throat world, and I think the stuff of magazines is fun fluff for light reading, but I wouldn't want that to be my whole life.

I just don't really know what my strengths are...I'm a confident, personable individual but not especially talented at anything. I really want to be successful, but I just don't know how :s-smilie:.

It's like trying to magically invent a job that is stimulating, creative and fun, pays well and has some form of moral integrity too (like helping people would be a bonus). Any ideas? Hehe.

Bit of a rant. And now I realise this probably would have been better suited to the 'careers' forum but ah well. I just feel that time is running out, and I want to embark on a good career asap.

Scroll to see replies

If you find a job that does all that PM me the name of the company and I'll join it as well!
Hey :smile:

For one thing dont put yourself down! You say you dont really know your strengths and not 'especially' talented at anything but I doubt thats true - where do your academic strengths lie? What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I think it's best you talk to a connexions advisor who'll be able to talk you through about careers but really as long as you know what subject you're interested in studying at uni and head in that direction you shouldnt stress too much about what you'll specifically be doing yet.

I have my parents ask me all the time - what are you going to do? And I want to study law and theres a wide range of careers what I could do with it and I'll make my mind up of my direction whilst studying :smile:

x
Reply 3
I don't think anyone can tell you what you should do with your life better than you can . I think the important thing is to have a target or destination that you will work towards unfaillingly , I think getting to somewhere you thought was your destination and then finding out it's not quite your thing is better than not moving forward at all because your not sure which direction to go in.

Another thing is that you might be expecting too much too soon , I haven't even started uni yet so i'm not the most in?formed person but I don't think most poeple will start off in a creative , fun and well payed job to begin with (wouldn't we all want something like that ?) . I think you grind for a bit and then get promoted or progress towards that kind of situation.
Purple Rain
I know I'm probably not the only one like this, but it's kinda worrying me since my parents/family keep asking me.

I have literally no idea what I want to do with my life after university. I've constantly changed my mind about careers...I'd like to write (as in journalism), but firstly I don't think I'm good enough, and secondly I don't think my personality would fit that ruthless, cut throat world, and I think the stuff of magazines is fun fluff for light reading, but I wouldn't want that to be my whole life.

I just don't really know what my strengths are...I'm a confident, personable individual but not especially talented at anything. I really want to be successful, but I just don't know how :s-smilie:.

It's like trying to magically invent a job that is stimulating, creative and fun, pays well and has some form of moral integrity too (like helping people would be a bonus). Any ideas? Hehe.

Bit of a rant. And now I realise this probably would have been better suited to the 'careers' forum but ah well. I just feel that time is running out, and I want to embark on a good career asap.

Your def not the only one :smile:
I want to write too but don't think I am good enough, and am sort of an all-round subject person with no particular strengths that seem to stick out! If you find a job with this criteria let me know because its what I want haha!
All I have done is pick a subject a uni that should have good job prospects all round and see where it goes from there! Planning drives me crazy and causes pointless stress :smile:
Purple Rain

maybe an international news correspondent? you get to do journalism and you avoid the 'ruthless' part which is normally in the main centre (london normally). you say you are confident therefore you must be confident and believe you are good enough. you can help people here by reporting in africa or asia, for example, and helping them out by showing what its like and you could help yourself. its also stimulating and creative to travel the world and it pays well too i think.

if not maybe be a naturalist/explorer etc and perhaps make a tv series on your findings or perhaps write and publish books on your travels and findings etc...it could reap virtually the same benefits
Purple Rain

Ahh don't I've been in this position for YEARS now, in the end I figured I would get a science degree then probably join the police. As it's challenging, helping people, opportunity to progress, safe blaa blaaaaaaaa.

Then maybe one day return and do medicine (which is my 'journalism' for you lol) who knows.

I figured one day I'll be dead and none of it will matter anyway so why waste time stressing about it, just smile and follow your nose, is my philosophy :biggrin:
Reply 7
LyssaJane-x-
Hey :smile:

For one thing dont put yourself down! You say you dont really know your strengths and not 'especially' talented at anything but I doubt thats true - where do your academic strengths lie? What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I think it's best you talk to a connexions advisor who'll be able to talk you through about careers but really as long as you know what subject you're interested in studying at uni and head in that direction you shouldnt stress too much about what you'll specifically be doing yet.

I have my parents ask me all the time - what are you going to do? And I want to study law and theres a wide range of careers what I could do with it and I'll make my mind up of my direction whilst studying :smile:

x

Thanks for your advice :smile:. Thing is, I'm already at uni, going into 2nd year, i.e. by this December I'll be half way through uni with still not a clue on what I'm doing afterwards. Before uni I wasn't so worried about it cos I thought I had loads of time...

My subject doesn't have a distinct career path like engineering or medicine (I'm studying Linguistics). I've always been an all rounder really, never especially stood out outstandingly in any field. I suppose I've always been good at public speaking, won quite a few competitions and things for that...I just have good timing and listenable voice when I'm on a stage. BUT I'd hate to be a politician, and I can't act or sing!

And in my spare time I just like playing the piano and guitar...and I compose a lot but none of it is that great. Besides, I lost faith in the music business a long time ago.

Good idea about Connexions, I'll try them! Thanks again.
Reply 8
University is 3 years long at the very least. You have 3 years at the very least to think about what you want to do with your life.

You will meet people who change your out look on life, you will have experiences that will change it too. In fact you will probably be a different person by then!

You may as well as stop worrying and enjoy the (relatively) carefree life of a university student. Meet new people, find out what you like, better yourself both socially and academically.
see soem careers advisors, there are tosn of jobs out there u have never ehard of

as you say, you are far from unique, i changed careers after Uni too.

try prospects.ac.uk they have a bit where u put in what you want to do/skilsl and they suggest jobs - probably not eprfecly accurate tho!
Reply 10
D3M!
Getting to somewhere you thought was your destination and then finding out it's not quite your thing is better than not moving forward at all because your not sure which direction to go in.
QUOTE]

Even though it's worth jack ****, I've repped you for this. Wise words of wisdom, cheers! Your whole post was actually, but this part in particular. I think i'm too afraid of making a wrong decision, and if I'm going to be successful I just can't do that.
Reply 11
know what you mean OP. Difficult stuff. Good thing though you can still think while studying. Don't overthink it and just try to feel what means more than other things to you. What is it that you value?

I just want to find the love of my life... and drive a Porsche.
Purple Rain
Thanks for your advice :smile:. Thing is, I'm already at uni, going into 2nd year, i.e. by this December I'll be half way through uni with still not a clue on what I'm doing afterwards. Before uni I wasn't so worried about it cos I thought I had loads of time...

My subject doesn't have a distinct career path like engineering or medicine (I'm studying Linguistics). I've always been an all rounder really, never especially stood out outstandingly in any field. I suppose I've always been good at public speaking, won quite a few competitions and things for that...I just have good timing and listenable voice when I'm on a stage. BUT I'd hate to be a politician; I can't act or sing!

And in my spare time I just like playing the piano and guitar...and I compose a lot but none of it is that great. Besides, I lost faith in the music business a long time ago.

Good idea about Connexions, I'll try them! Thanks again.

oh i wish politicians had to sing in their job. House Of Commons - The Musical would be awesome
Reply 13
I feel your pain! I'm in for MA Eng Lit in Edinburgh but have NO idea if I even want to do that, even though I apparently have a talent for it.
#
Lets play it by ear!
Reply 14
halfoflessthan50p
oh i wish politicians had to sing in their job. House Of Commons - The Musical would be awesome

LOL!
That made me splutter on my rich tea biscuit...I nearly choked to death because of you :P.
Reply 15
Purple Rain
Edit...I am at university already, going into 2nd year in a matter of weeks, so I do have two years essentially, but I'd like to get some work experience under my belt in the next two years so I have to really start thinking about this now...

I could have written this post myself :frown:
Reply 16
Mike_P
know what you mean OP. Difficult stuff. Good thing though you can still think while studying. Don't overthink it and just try to feel what means more than other things to you. What is it that you value?

I just want to find the love of my life... and drive a Porsche.

I want to find the love of my life too...and drive a Mercedes. SL 500. :biggrin:

And not have to worry about bills. And have a job I look forward to going to every day.
Reply 17
Anon the 7th
maybe an international news correspondent? you get to do journalism and you avoid the 'ruthless' part which is normally in the main centre (london normally). you say you are confident therefore you must be confident and believe you are good enough. you can help people here by reporting in africa or asia, for example, and helping them out by showing what its like and you could help yourself. its also stimulating and creative to travel the world and it pays well too i think.

if not maybe be a naturalist/explorer etc and perhaps make a tv series on your findings or perhaps write and publish books on your travels and findings etc...it could reap virtually the same benefits

Oh God, I would absolutely LOVE to be a travel writer, that would be my dream.

These are niche jobs though, I think people kinda fall into them...perhaps if I just embark on a journalistic/media career (which EVERYONE wants to get into, sigh...) I'll find my way and perhaps fall into something I'm really going to enjoy!
Well you definitely described my situation in your post! Will be interested to see what people suggest here :smile:
Have you considered publishing?

I considered journalism but I had exactly the same objections to it as you... and I've since realised that publishing is PERFECT for me. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending