The Student Room Group

General Studies?

Very sorry to start a new thread for my first post, I know that regulars on messageboards hate that in newbies. I couldn't find this question answered elsewhere.

Is it true that Oxbridge completely disregard General Studies as a qualification? I was told this, and it seems pretty credible since having taken the AS exam in the subject within the last few weeks (having had virtually no teaching in the subject), i found that it is completely trivial and seemingly unneccessary. Would someone please clear this up, is it regarded at all by oxbridge?

Thanks in advance.

Oh and also, a similar question- is film studies regarded as less of a subject? I was told by my head of year to drop it after AS if I was dropping anything, because it is the least regarded of my subjects. Will having taken that over any other subject have hindered my chances of getting in to oxford? Unlike the rest of my class who took it as a means of slacking off 5 periods a week, I took it out of general interest in film, and mean to go for as high a grade as possible.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1) Almost everyone I've spoken to who did general studies thought it was a waste of time and that it added nothing to their application. So I'd say no, it's not regarded, and will be excluded from any offer.

2) Film studies: less of a subject than what? I suppose it depends what you're applying for. Certainly, it's not really regarded as a "hard" subject, like a science or a language, but it's not as bad as general studies. If you do it with 2 "hard" subjects you're probably OK, as long as you're not applying for medicine or something.
RxB
1) Almost everyone I've spoken to who did general studies thought it was a waste of time and that it added nothing to their application. So I'd say no, it's not regarded, and will be excluded from any offer.

2) Film studies: less of a subject than what? I suppose it depends what you're applying for. Certainly, it's not really regarded as a "hard" subject, like a science or a language, but it's not as bad as general studies. If you do it with 2 "hard" subjects you're probably OK, as long as you're not applying for medicine or something.

Thanks for the help. I guess I won't make a big deal of general studies if it's so disregarded; I was wondering whether or not it was worth wasting time studying it next year instead of focusing on my more important exams. I'll still take the A2 Paper because I may as well, but it's good to know if i muck up it won't be too serious.

Regarding the film studies, I am taking maths french and english literature to A2 as well as Film Studies, to study Modern Languages. Does that sound ok? I don't know exactly what I would have taken in its place, perhaps Latin (which would have been more appropriate for the course, but would have bored me- I don't like the background work on the culture. Much prefer modern languages) or a chemistry which is totally irrelevant but more difficult and a better qualification to have. Than again, film can be relevant to a languages course if it's involved with national identity and expression, I think we study courses in foreign film within the modern languages degree course. Then again, I don't know, that#'s why i'm askig for help :P
Reply 3
You're doing 3 hard A-levels, so you should be fine.
What languages combination though? French/Linguistics, French/Philosophy, just French, French/something else, something else entirely?

Probably worry about the other part more than the film studies, to be honest. Too late to worry about A-level choices now.
RxB
You're doing 3 hard A-levels, so you should be fine.
What languages combination though? French/Linguistics, French/Philosophy, just French, French/something else, something else entirely?

Probably worry about the other part more than the film studies, to be honest. Too late to worry about A-level choices now.

Very true about being too late to choose my A-levels. I'm going to concentrate on the more difficult of the subjects and come up with a defence for having taken film studies to say in my interview haha.

I'd be taking french with another language, I'm undecided right now since i have a few choices to take from scratch. (ab initio or however you spell it). Russian sounds interesting, or Greek since I got A* in ancient greek at GCSE. Or anything else really, heck I have no idea.
Reply 5
Hmm, you should probably decide on that soon, and start thinking about why you want to do the other language, but if you fancy the film end of things, you'd probably be better off doing straight French. Unless you want to go to Cambridge, where you can't do that.
RxB
Hmm, you should probably decide on that soon, and start thinking about why you want to do the other language, but if you fancy the film end of things, you'd probably be better off doing straight French. Unless you want to go to Cambridge, where you can't do that.

Thanks again for all the advice. Acutally the point about straight french makes sense. I'll seriously consider that.
Jools
Whilst Oxbridge (and most top 25 universities) disregard General Studies when it comes to giving offers, it can still be helpful to have on your UCAS form an extra two lines of A-grades (AS and A2 Gen St). If you've got good general knowledge, GenSt is an extra A-grade with minimal effort. What do you think looks better from the following?

Getting "four As" sounds more impressive than getting "three As"!

Very true. Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder now. Yeah, I'll still work, just not too hard. I don't want to compromise my other results to get a useless grade. But it's a very good point, it does look far better with the extra two lines there, and especially since it isn't too much of an expense.
Jools
Do people actually work for General Studies? We had no lessons, just walked in and did them, and the grades were better than most subjects (people got ADDD for example!). I don't see how studying for it can be that useful, it largely tests your general knowledge (except the Maths/Logic which is GCSE Maths basically). So definitely don't compromise your other subjects for it, if you have a small interest in politics, current affairs, news.bbc.co.uk kinda stuff you shouldn't need to do anything.

Well, we have one lesson a week, but it's usually cancelled or not taken seriously by the teacher. Most of the stuff we learn is totally irrelevant and not tested on the actual exam. My dad being totally pushy and stuff bought me a general studies revision book with all the syllabus, and it was all useless general knowledge, none of which was useful int he exam. I'm waiting for my results to come back for AS to see if I got a good grade or not, but basically yeah you can do work for it but its totally pointless. Still time consuming though, and can take away from your other subjects.
Reply 9
FailureByDesign
Very sorry to start a new thread for my first post, I know that regulars on messageboards hate that in newbies. I couldn't find this question answered elsewhere.

Is it true that Oxbridge completely disregard General Studies as a qualification? I was told this, and it seems pretty credible since having taken the AS exam in the subject within the last few weeks (having had virtually no teaching in the subject), i found that it is completely trivial and seemingly unneccessary. Would someone please clear this up, is it regarded at all by oxbridge?

Thanks in advance.

Oh and also, a similar question- is film studies regarded as less of a subject? I was told by my head of year to drop it after AS if I was dropping anything, because it is the least regarded of my subjects. Will having taken that over any other subject have hindered my chances of getting in to oxford? Unlike the rest of my class who took it as a means of slacking off 5 periods a week, I took it out of general interest in film, and mean to go for as high a grade as possible.

Nah Oxbridge doesn't take General Studies. Most respected unis - for science courses anyway - don't take GS anyway - not to mention Oxbridge. As far as I know, yes Oxbridge disregard GS completely.

And Film Studies - as far as I know, Cambridge anyway, prefers traditional subjects. They can't "disregard" it - well they can, by offering you an offer that excludes grades in that subject. Like someone on TSR here, think she's in for VetMed, her offer excludes English. My friend is offered AAA for her Maths offer with STEP and her third A can be in either Physics or Chem, not specified. Another woman I know had an offer of AAC for Maths, with both A's in Maths, which meant the C was for her third subject, French.

Cambridge - I talk about Cam cus I applied there lol! (and rejected) - prefers subjects related to your course - lol don't all unis? - depends on what course you're thinking of in Oxford. This guy - my Mathmo friend's brother - had Theatre Studies as one of his A-Levels and I'm pretty sure Theatre is considered as mickey mouse by some unis - but he had 3 other academic subjects. He's graduated now with a first for Physics from Cambridge, St John's.

Anyway, yeh in general I'd say Film Study is considered as a "mickey mouse" subject by some unis. Keep it on if you want, but yeh if you're gonna drop any subjects, I advise drop Film Studies too.

Anyway - why don't you email Oxford admissions and ask? Read between the lines though cus they're not gonna say it outright.
irisng
Nah Oxbridge doesn't take General Studies. Most respected unis - for science courses anyway - don't take GS anyway - not to mention Oxbridge. As far as I know, yes Oxbridge disregard GS completely.

And Film Studies - as far as I know, Cambridge anyway, prefers traditional subjects. They can't "disregard" it - well they can, by offering you an offer that excludes grades in that subject. Like someone on TSR here, think she's in for VetMed, her offer excludes English. My friend is offered AAA for her Maths offer with STEP and her third A can be in either Physics or Chem, not specified. Another woman I know had an offer of AAC for Maths, with both A's in Maths, which meant the C was for her third subject, French.

Cambridge - I talk about Cam cus I applied there lol! (and rejected) - prefers subjects related to your course - lol don't all unis? - depends on what course you're thinking of in Oxford. This guy - my Mathmo friend's brother - had Theatre Studies as one of his A-Levels and I'm pretty sure Theatre is considered as mickey mouse by some unis - but he had 3 other academic subjects. He's graduated now with a first for Physics from Cambridge, St John's.

Anyway, yeh in general I'd say Film Study is considered as a "mickey mouse" subject by some unis. Keep it on if you want, but yeh if you're gonna drop any subjects, I advise drop Film Studies too.

Anyway - why don't you email Oxford admissions and ask? Read between the lines though cus they're not gonna say it outright.

Thanks. I'm aware that they might consider it a "mickey mouse" subject, so I will be sure to focus more on other subjects. Thanks for the advice, I will email the admissions and find out, and make sure I pay attention between the lines, that's very good advice :smile:
Are you even allowed to put your general studies grade on your oxbridge application form?

I think general studies is a good indicator, not of intelligence (because it is so easy to get an A) but of lack of stupidity. For example if someone gets an A then it doesnt show much but if they get a D you would question their general ability because they got a low grade in an easy subject.
Yes thanks that was sort of my point. It shows a general awarness and not just fact memorisation.
Jools
It's nothing to do with "stupidity" or a "lack of ability". If you get an A in General Studies then you're clued up about the world around you - politics, society, culture, environment, technology etc. Lots of people get AAAA in subjects they can memorise and regurgitate then a D in General Studies because they lack knowledge of the 'real world'.

i dont think essay writing and exam skills can be compared to having knowledge of the real world. i am more a scientist person, and i messed up all the essay type questions, so i got a d. but, i think i have a lot of knowledge in the real world. it cannot be tested by reading a specific case study and commenting can it?

another example is knowledge of technology - you cannot sum ability and awareness into the into answering of multiple choice questions.
Reply 14
Do general studies but dont set aside any time that could be spent on real subjects.

Continue film studies if only if (a) you enjoy it and (b) you are fairly certain of an A and (c) you keep up your traditional subjects as well.

thats what i would do anyway
i have a friend doing 3 subjects and GS and has an offer to read english from christs. they have said that if she misses another subject but gets an A in gs they will take her. this was in the letter with the offer!!!!
Reply 16
Jools
Whilst Oxbridge (and most top 25 universities) disregard General Studies when it comes to giving offers, it can still be helpful to have on your UCAS form an extra two lines of A-grades (AS and A2 Gen St). If you've got good general knowledge, GenSt is an extra A-grade with minimal effort. What do you think looks better from the following?

Getting "four As" sounds more impressive than getting "three As"! And when you're at university you don't need all your subjects on your CV and can just put "A-Level: AAAA".

You know I'd personally think the person who got AAAAB is less impressive than AAAB - cus the one with 4A's did GS - he wasted time doing general studies when he could've been improving his grade in History - I'd say he was unwise and generally wasting his time.
irisng
You know I'd personally think the person who got AAAAB is less impressive than AAAB - cus the one with 4A's did GS - he wasted time doing general studies when he could've been improving his grade in History - I'd say he was unwise and generally wasting his time.

In most state schools you dont have a choice - you have to do GS.
Reply 18
You can always specifically ask not to be entered. At my school they realised the subject was so unpopular the Head of Sixth Form assumed no one wanted to be entered for the exam unless they specifically came and told him otherwise.
Reply 19
specialhelen
i have a friend doing 3 subjects and GS and has an offer to read english from christs. they have said that if she misses another subject but gets an A in gs they will take her. this was in the letter with the offer!!!!

Wow Oxbridge must've loved her!

And FailureByDesign, no problems :smile: So what course are you thinking btw? (and I'm sure you're not a failure by design! :biggrin: )

Latest

Trending

Trending