The Student Room Group

about to miss my offer....

This is might be a stupid question, because I don't think it can be answered definitively, but I'm just going to ask it anyway because I'm really worried.
Basically I have to get 3As and I think at the moment I'm more likely to end up with 2As and 2Bs, partly because I'm teaching myself one of them and the other is German which I can't really cram for having done no work the whole year. I have a deferred offer for English at Clare.
What's the likelihood they'll still accept me if I do miss my offer by a grade?
Will I be allowed to resit during my gap year? Will they take my UMS marks into account (I'm heading for nearly full marks in English and History)?
I'm so worried. I should probably be off revising now in fact.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Answer is: Who knows!? If all other candidates make their grades you may well not be given your offer.
I'm pretty sure they will consider your UMS scores if you miss your grades by a bit, so do as well as you can. If you do not get an offer you will have to re-apply in your gap year and you are welcome to resit papers in that year as well. But keep in mind that it isnt very common (i dont think) for them to make offers to people who they have made offers to but then missed their grades.
Reply 2
Willa
If you do not get an offer you will have to re-apply in your gap year and you are welcome to resit papers in that year as well. But keep in mind that it isnt very common (i dont think) for them to make offers to people who they have made offers to but then missed their grades.

Really? I knew it wouldn't be a given if you re-applied, but is it held against you, even if you retake?

And to sugarplumc - good luck and hope it works out okay.
Reply 3
Willa

I'm pretty sure they will consider your UMS scores if you miss your grades by a bit, so do as well as you can.

I doubt this, as apparently almost all the decisions are made before you see your A-level results, and they don't see your UMS.
Reply 4
Well maybe it's just the people i know...but of all the people who got offers, missed their grades, and then reapplied (i know 4) none got a second offer.
Reply 5
RxB
I doubt this, as apparently almost all the decisions are made before you see your A-level results, and they don't see your UMS.

I'm referring to when you ring them up on results day and beg they still let you in, and they might ask what your ums is, and then you tell them, and they see it was daaaaamn close to the border, and let you in!
Reply 6
Willa
I'm referring to when you ring them up on results day and beg they still let you in, and they might ask what your ums is, and then you tell them, and they see it was daaaaamn close to the border, and let you in!

I didn't think that happened much - certainly when I rang them up they'd already decided. But possibly Cam more than Ox.

Incidentally, Drogue got in second time round having missed his offer.
I'm in the same situation, only my offer is AAAa, and I'm looking to get AAAb if I'm lucky. It's only really the AS that's dodgy. Does anyone think I'd stand a chance?
Reply 8
Willa
But keep in mind that it isnt very common (i dont think) for them to make offers to people who they have made offers to but then missed their grades.

I agree, although Will on here (Drogue) is an exception as he missed his offer reapplied and was then given a 4A offer, which he met :smile: EDIT: Just seen RxB has already mentioned this...in future I'll read the replies before I reply!

However, in all honesty, I think that's pretty rare and I'd just work my arse off right now...you'd be amazed how much difference even an extra hour a day can make. I know it's easy for us to say that, but most of us have been there and I remember finding a Pure Maths book the library and forcing myself to do at least one exercise from that day in addition to my usual amount of homework/revision (this was before study leave had started) and the amount I improved just from doing one exercise a day was immense!

I can only speak from Oxford's PoV and I know that with Open offers becoming more common, there is a slimmer chance of a candidate being successful if they miss their offer...I imagine with Cam's summer pool it's similar too.

I know this seems really harsh, but all I can say is...get off the internet, delete msn from your computer and just work sooo hard for the next few weeks. Then you'll have a wicked summer and hopefully make your Cam offer - think how happy you'll feel then and you'll know all your work will be worth it!
Reply 9
absentmindedone
I'm in the same situation, only my offer is AAAa, and I'm looking to get AAAb if I'm lucky. It's only really the AS that's dodgy. Does anyone think I'd stand a chance?

Since I'm guessing your b will be in FM, then I have to admit I don't think your chance are that good. I'm a physics undergrad at Oxford and our course involves a LOT of maths!!! I imagine it's similar with engineering at Cam and I think they'd be concerned that if you can't get an A in FM at A-Level you won't be able to keep up with the maths in the course. I don't know what the entry requirements are for engineering, but basically with Physics if you did FM A-Level (only ppl who didn't were ppl who weren't given the choice...like me!) they would expect you to get an A as they cover the entire FM syllabus in about the first 2wks of term and then you instantly start covering undergrad maths relevant to your degree, so you need to be very strong at maths!
It depends how well everyone else does. If almost everyone else meets their offers, you have very little chance of still getting in, but if quite a few people did, it could happen. Work as hard as you can between now and the end of your exams to try and make sure you get the grades, but if you just miss out come results day, ring them up and plead your case. You never know, if both of your Bs were nearly As, they were in subjects not related to what you applied for and you got really high UMS marks in the other 2 subjects, they just might let you in.
I am absolutely not an authority in this area, but from what I've heard, I've understood that if there are special circumstances which might effect your grade (like having to teach yourself!), it's better to let them know before you get your results, because they may already have decided by results day since they know your results earlier. Hope this helps a bit and good luck :smile:
absentmindedone

Probably not, as maths is very closely related to engineering, so if you only had further maths at AS, I'm pretty sure they'd only accept an A. As always though, it depends on how everyone else did and how high your B was. If it was 235+, ie nearly an A, you might get away with it.
Reply 13
sugarplumc
This is might be a stupid question, because I don't think it can be answered definitively, but I'm just going to ask it anyway because I'm really worried.
Basically I have to get 3As and I think at the moment I'm more likely to end up with 2As and 2Bs, partly because I'm teaching myself one of them and the other is German which I can't really cram for having done no work the whole year. I have a deferred offer for English at Clare.
What's the likelihood they'll still accept me if I do miss my offer by a grade?
Will I be allowed to resit during my gap year? Will they take my UMS marks into account (I'm heading for nearly full marks in English and History)?
I'm so worried. I should probably be off revising now in fact.

If you're so so worried - you only need AAA - you do NOT need AAAA - which means you can easily fail one of your subjects and get 3A's instead in the other 3 - and still get into Cambridge. It'll give you far more time for one of your subjects.

Which subjects did Cam specify for you to get your A's in? - cus for my friend they only specified AA in Maths and Further Maths - her third A can be in either Chem or Physics.
Reply 14
irisng
If you're so so worried - you only need AAA - you do NOT need AAAA - which means you can easily fail one of your subjects and get 3A's instead in the other 3 - and still get into Cambridge. It'll give you far more time for one of your subjects.

Which subjects did Cam specify for you to get your A's in? - cus for my friend they only specified AA in Maths and Further Maths - her third A can be in either Chem or Physics.

Dude, read the original post again :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Someone last year, with an offer of AAA (Homerton: English, Drama & Education) got AAB on results day. The head of 6th form and headteacher pleaded her case, and there seemed to be no problem with her getting in...
Any consolation?
x
Reply 16
epitome
Someone last year, with an offer of AAA (Homerton: English, Drama & Education) got AAB on results day. The head of 6th form and headteacher pleaded her case, and there seemed to be no problem with her getting in...
Any consolation?
x

Might not be so lucky on a course/college that's more competitive....

I know someone who missed her offer by two marks on a science paper, but after a re-mark and keeping the college informed she's there now... :smile:

EVERYONE thinks they've messed up after exams; you've done this well to get through your AS with top marks, so there's no way you can't do the same if not better this time around; looking at how far you've come already really helps :smile:

Trust me, I came into results day so worried I was shaking and had to have someone open the letter for me; I swear on my place, I expected to see C's/D's from what my teachers were feeding me and honestly had no idea it would turn out so well. At the end of the day, even though teachers can worry you and seem a bit inept at times, they know about your offer and it's in their interests to help you out; they are probably keeping you on your toes to work harder (that tactic works!)...

Give those exams the very best you've got (rouse the passion that drew you to your subjects in the first place helps) and never lose sight of what's to come; I've found that if you really (really) believe you can do it, you end up proving everyone including yourself wrong, but you have to believe you are worthy of those A's....

Think "For Frodo..." and run into that metaphorical exam gauntlet... :smile:
Reply 17
Stewie

Think "For Frodo..." and run into that metaphorical exam gauntlet... :smile:

that reminds me of my missed lotr moment. I once saw ian mckellen walking along the road one evening, and I was so tempted to be a complete idiot (just to say i'd done it) and jump in front of him and shout "YOU...SHALL NOT...PASS" with the whole hand motions. If only I had less shame.
Reply 18
~Raphael~
Dude, read the original post again :rolleyes:

Yeh I just did - she says she needs 3A's - and is more likely to get 2A's and 2B's - which tells me she's doing 4 A-Levels - and Cam only want 3 of those grades.

So... I don't see what I had misread? :confused:

(and sorry to the original post person if he's actually a guy lol!)
Reply 19
Willa
that reminds me of my missed lotr moment. I once saw ian mckellen walking along the road one evening, and I was so tempted to be a complete idiot (just to say i'd done it) and jump in front of him and shout "YOU...SHALL NOT...PASS" with the whole hand motions. If only I had less shame.

Hehehehe LOL! Ahhh the comedy of picturing you doing that! Shame you didn't do it! :biggrin:

Anyway where/when did you see him? - I'd have got his autograph or something :biggrin: and he's probably sick of autographs if he's honest :rolleyes:

And yeh Hoofbeat is right - work work work work work... *sigh* I should get back to work :frown:

And Stewie - lol I was like that on results day last year :rolleyes: for my AS - although in my case it was my own fault, I decided not to work til the last 3 weeks before exams :redface: I was actually in tears before I even looked at my results - my Bio teacher who's already seen my results was rather bewildered to see me crying, seeing as I got AAAC :biggrin: I had thought I'd got ADDD :redface: (A in Art lol)

Latest

Trending

Trending