The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

lizfairy
12.... Is that an exagaration???

No. It was more like 16 hours in the run up to my dissertation deadline. This is why I'm telling you to not bother working hard or getting stressed in the lower years!

When its 24 hour library its really annoying because people leave their stuff overnight and keep the computers locked so you can't use them, so if you want to work at a computer in the library you need to be there by 9am latest (main period of exams 8.15 is more ideal then you get a choice of where you sit and can usually get a desk by the window) then I'd stay till about 8pm at night, then have the evenings free. Even if you just want to sit at a desk you need to be there by 9.30am. Otherwise you may as well not bother going in until about 5pm when the people who arrived early have started going home as everyone is in there for the long haul during the day so you get people queuing for half an hour or more to use a computer. You can walk around literally the entire library and not find a free desk.

George Square is manic during exams and its always full of first years playing on facebook and fit finder, whilst being really noisy with their friends talking about how stressed they are with exams... and its like yeah, you're really stressed, I'm sure... a) you've been here for 4 hours and have only got as far as opening webct and b) you're in first year.
(edited 13 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
oxymoronic
No. It was more like 16 hours in the run up to my dissertation deadline. This is why I'm telling you to not bother working hard or getting stressed in the lower years!

When its 24 hour library its really annoying because people leave their stuff overnight and keep the computers locked so you can't use them, so if you want to work at a computer in the library you need to be there by 9am latest (main period of exams 8.15 is more ideal then you get a choice of where you sit and can usually get a desk by the window) then I'd stay till about 8pm at night, then have the evenings free. Even if you just want to sit at a desk you need to be there by 9.30am. Otherwise you may as well not bother going in until about 5pm when the people who arrived early have started going home as everyone is in there for the long haul during the day so you get people queuing for half an hour or more to use a computer. You can walk around literally the entire library and not find a free desk.

George Square is manic during exams and its always full of first years playing on facebook and fit finder, whilst being really noisy with their friends talking about how stressed they are with exams... and its like yeah, you're really stressed, I'm sure... a) you've been here for 4 hours and have only got as far as opening webct and b) you're in first year.

ooh that's okay then! :smile: as a matter of interest, which outside subjects did you take? I've had only philosophy lecture and I am somewhat struggling with Hume...
so ALL offers for humanities subjects are BBB, even though on the website it says offers from BBB-AAA ?
Crimsonchilli
so ALL offers for humanities subjects are BBB, even though on the website it says offers from BBB-AAA ?

If you read the updates on the first page, you'll see that I've specifically said this thread was for the 2010 entry when yes, all offers were BBB and have been for at least the last 5 entry cycles (aka since when I applied).

Since then, Edinburgh appear to have upped their game and aren't really letting much away in terms of what their offer will be for the 2011 entry cycle as they're advertising BBB-AAA whereby if the contextual factors do not apply to you (should as attending a poorly achieving school) then you will probably be asked for grades in the higher end of the spectrum. But what this means in reality, I have no idea because when I've asked about it (in terms of reference for TSR) I've been given the same vague answer, meaning I'm not sure if they're really sure yet either as it'll depend on the affect this has on applications. I imagine it will put a lot of people off applying who don't actually want to come here, they just want a nice and easy insurance choice..... then realise that Edinburgh is one of the most competitive universities in the UK.
I was wondering if anyone here knows how many places there are for the llb law degree at edinburgh university per year? The thing is that when i am choosing which uni to go to, i would prefer to go to one with a smaller number of law students. Like i would feel more comfortable at a uni with about 50ish law students compared to hundreds. it's by no means a deciding factor for which uni i go to but i'd like to know. Thank You!
(edited 13 years ago)
David1693
I was wondering if anyone here knows how many places there are for the llb law degree at edinburgh university per year? The thing is that when i am choosing which uni to go to, i would prefer to go to one with a smaller number of law students. Like i would feel more comfortable at a uni with about 50ish law students compared to hundreds. it's by no means a deciding factor for which uni i go to but i'd like to know. Thank You!

Around 400?

I know people doing graduate entry law this year and they share lectures with the freshers. They said there's around 400 people (around 320 freshers, 80 graduates) and there aren't enough seats so late comers sit on the floor.
Reply 2546
oxymoronic
If you do apply to more than one course be aware that Edinburgh will only consider two of your applications. If you apply to 3 or more courses, at least one will be an automatic rejection so this is a waste of a space.

Why is this? Is it safe enough to apply for two?
Reply 2547
This years law isn't 400 for first year entry both for the 4 year LLB and the 2 year accelerated degree. Combined the number is probably just around 300 and nobody is allowed to sit on the stairs in the lectures. Having been to all of them the lecturers so far have been making a point of ensuring everyone is seated and in both Appleton and William Robertson there are always a couple of spare seats for the lectures.
ScoCmac
This years law isn't 400 for first year entry both for the 4 year LLB and the 2 year accelerated degree. Combined the number is probably just around 300 and nobody is allowed to sit on the stairs in the lectures. Having been to all of them the lecturers so far have been making a point of ensuring everyone is seated and in both Appleton and William Robertson there are always a couple of spare seats for the lectures.

This is contrary to what I've been told from my best friend, who is also in all of your lectures, as I said, she is on the graduate course. So I don't know, I'm relaying what I was told a few days ago by her.... given she is paying £8000 for the course she has certainly been to everything! :smile:
Reply 2549
oxymoronic
This is contrary to what I've been told from my best friend, who is also in all of your lectures, as I said, she is on the graduate course. So I don't know, I'm relaying what I was told a few days ago by her.... given she is paying £8000 for the course she has certainly been to everything! :smile:

Well I have not been in a single lecture at either Appleton or William Robertson that has been completely full and considering the Lecture Theatre at Appleton only holds 300 if every seat is full and WR holds 280 I really doubt there is anywhere near 400 on the course as a whole especially considering there are a number of International Relations students in the LRLS lectures which are held in Appleton.

EDIT

350 Offers were made for admission to law from home students (UK & EU) in the past only about half of that have taken up those offers

09/10 - 382 Offers, 165 Entrants
08/09 - 410 Offers, 176 Entrants
07/08 - 476 Offers, 199 Entrants

Add on the International Students which they don't actually state for law (with the exception of 07/08 where it was 150 offers and 20 Entrants) and those taking law as their outside course or joint honours not through the school of law aswell as those doing the accelerated course (Having just checked this is classed as an undergraduate degree and is therefore included in the stats) and I doubt you will reach anywhere near the level suggested although it will be very close to the maximum for the lecture theatres
(edited 13 years ago)
ScoCmac
x

I never said that I was doubting you, all I was clarifying was that this is different to what I've been told by my friend and given I wasn't a law student at Edinburgh, her experience this year is the basis of what I was giving information on so then re clarified that again.... but I don't know! Although in terms of the actual question it doesn't matter how many people are on the course as the poster was asking whether there were only 50 or so or if it were a large course, which it is, especially when taking those who study law modules as an outside subject.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2551
Hello

I'm thinking of applying for 'Economics and Politics' or 'Economics and Philosophy' at Edinburgh. Would I be able to change to the other one while there if I think I'd prefer it to the course I select? Or.. maybe even request to change the course to just economics..

What is the likelihood that I would be able to do this? Is Edinburgh known to be flexible in this respect?

Cheers
JoshW7
Hello

I'm thinking of applying for 'Economics and Politics' or 'Economics and Philosophy' at Edinburgh. Would I be able to change to the other one while there if I think I'd prefer it to the course I select? Or.. maybe even request to change the course to just economics..

What is the likelihood that I would be able to do this? Is Edinburgh known to be flexible in this respect?

Cheers

Yeah, pretty much everyone changes their degree in some way at least once whilst they're in 1st and 2nd year.

If you apply for joint honours you study both of these plus a 3rd subject in first year. Then if you decide you don't want to study one of these any more, or want to make a new combination including your 3rd subject or drop the initial 2 and take your 3rd, then its really easy to swap towards the end of first year. Then in 2nd year, you'd have the new degree subject(s) as your degree then do others as your outsides. Or if you're not sure, you can carry on all of them until the end of 2nd year then make final decisions.

You're not committed to your degree until the end of 2nd year for most subjects in the College of Humanities and Social Science.
(edited 13 years ago)
Anyone heard from Edinburgh yet? Do you know when they start to offer places?
This thread is for 2010 entry and is now closed.

If you are applying to the University of Edinburgh for 2011 entry then please use this thread instead :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending