The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The 2011 Edinburgh applicants chat and FAQ thread *read the first post*

Hi!

This is a follow on from last years chat and FAQ thread. Some of the information has been copied and some of it is new - please read it. I have been trying to help people with their UCAS applications on TSR for the last 3 or 4 years as a PS helper and as a regular poster in this forum. This thread contains answers to the questions I see year in year out and it is incredibly frustrating if I have spent time making a thread such as this and people continue to ask the same question elsewhere. If your question has been covered in this thread do not expect a helpful reply if you ask it again. I have spent time making this thread for YOUR benefit, not just for a bit of fun on my part. I already know the answers and have my degree, I don't need it.

However, if you have any additional questions then please do post them in the thread and we'll do our best to answer them for you :smile:

If you've already applied to Edinburgh, then good luck with your application. Hopefully you'll love the city and University as much as I did :love:

Applying and UCAS

Do I need to have any special Standard Grade/Higher/AH or GCSE/A level subjects?

Spoiler

I am English/go to a private school/from the SE of England/applied to Oxbridge, does this mean I will be automatically rejected?

Spoiler

I want to apply for 2011 entry but I’m not predicted 10 million As in my final exams, should I bother?

Spoiler

I’m an international (non EU) student, will this affect my application?

Spoiler

I really want to go to Edinburgh should I apply for more than one course?

Spoiler

After making your application to Edinburgh

My application status on EUCILD/MyEd has gone blank. What does this mean?

Spoiler

I applied 10 million years ago, when will I hear back?

Spoiler

Edinburgh has not sent me a welcome letter/accommodation information/open day details/anything in the post should I contact them?

Spoiler

I’ve just realised that the degree I’ve applied for is an MA surely that’s a postgraduate course!! I want to do an undergraduate degree!

Spoiler

I was rejected despite meeting the minimum entry requirements what is going on?

Spoiler

I’m a medicine applicant, when will I find out if I have an interview?

Spoiler

Post offer issues

Who else on TSR has applied/been given an offer for my course?

Spoiler

Edinburgh is my firm or insurance choice, now what?

Spoiler

I want a current student’s opinion of course X, please!

Spoiler

I've realised I want to study course X instead of the one I have an offer for, can I change it?

Spoiler

Which accommodation is the best? Shall I pick catered or self catered? Do I apply for a small or large size room? When do I need to apply?

Spoiler

Disclaimer:

I do not work for the University of Edinburgh - I was a student here and completed my undergraduate studies in July 2010. Any advice given in this thread by me (or any of the other Edinburgh students) is not given as a representative of the University of Edinburgh. Therefore, what we say is not given in an official capacity and you are advised to check with the University if in doubt at any point during your application.

Remember: I am a graduate, not a staff member. This means I can not check the progress of your application or comment on when you will be given an offer. Please do not PM me as I am unable to help you. I receive several PMs a week during the UCAS cycle relating to Edinburgh applications. If you need to contact the University, I am not the person to need to be speaking to at all!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
claimed for future use :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Anybody know if Edinburgh has started giving out offers? If not, any idea when?
Are you serious?
Reply 4
Dont expect it anytime soon.
Reply 5
Give it about 9 months
Reply 6
Offers for int'l students (atleast from the US) will start coming out mid to late October. 4 people from these forums last year from the US recieved offers from Edinburgh by the end of October.
they were the my penultimate response
and i think that was april/ may
so you've got a wee while yet
Reply 8
yeah.. dude you've got ages to wait. I got my offer March 11th. UCAS closing date is january.....
Daniel-Ballingall
yeah.. dude you've got ages to wait. I got my offer March 11th. UCAS closing date is january.....

Last year, students were getting unconditionals in late September, mid October, and December.
Reply 10
MJ_Alexander
Last year, students were getting unconditionals in late September, mid October, and December.

In your case, you might as you're international so therefore you're treated differently as Edinburgh want your money meaning they'll bend over backwards to let you come. You're pretty much guaranteed to be getting one anyway unless they've drastically changed their admissions policy for 2011 entry so you may as well stop worrying about it :smile:

UK and EU students will be waiting until past the deadline of 15th January as the university can not give out more places than they actually have funding for otherwise they get fined, this means last year (as will happen this year) a lot of universities didn't make any offer decisions until the deadline had passed. They rejected the people they certainly didn't want, but didn't give offers. They then went through all of the applications after 15th so the first offers were mid February and carried on until May.
Applied last year mid september and heard back in March...
Reply 12
Edinburgh doesn't give out any offers until all the applications have been submitted (15th January) so definately none until then.
University reps told me that I should get an offer/rejection within 2-3 weeks after submitting my application. It's been almost a month, but I know they only opened the admissions office last week. Any Americans get offers yet?
M8 don't worry Im international as well got my offer late march...
Reply 15
MJ_Alexander
University reps told me that I should get an offer/rejection within 2-3 weeks after submitting my application. It's been almost a month, but I know they only opened the admissions office last week. Any Americans get offers yet?

Expect to hear between Oct 15 and Oct 30. You'll know by then.

You definetly won't have to wait until March like the above poster said.
adam0311
Expect to hear between Oct 15 and Oct 30. You'll know by then.

You definetly won't have to wait until March like the above poster said.

Even though I already knew this, seeing it in words is just :party: to me.
Reply 17
I'm applying to study French and Spanish at Edinburgh next year and I was wondering what the size of the classes are? Also, are lectures taught in the target language or in English?
Reply 18
leah-rose
I'm applying to study French and Spanish at Edinburgh next year and I was wondering what the size of the classes are? Also, are lectures taught in the target language or in English?

Classes range from the entire year group in lectures (maybe 50 people? I can't remember!) to tutorials of less than 10 people, with seminars of about 20 people for some of your literature sessions. Then some of my classes were in Spanish and others were in English. We had a literature lecture in English then the discussion seminar in Spanish, then obviously in the tutorials both languages are used as there's normally one written tutorial and one spoken one.
Reply 19
EcstaticMuse
Even though I already knew this, seeing it in words is just :party: to me.

I know!

So close, but yet so far.

Latest

Trending

Trending