The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
ExDeusVenitBritannia
Preference is given to certain groups of people, such as locals, Scots and Northerners, those whose parents have no formal education beyond what were then O-Levels, those from schools that send few people to university, and some other criteria.

EDVB

Yeahhhh, I got an unconditional with my highers, without having even sat my AHs. I couldn't believe when I got to Oxford and got told so many of my friends got rejected with all As at A-levels. Obviously it's because of the difference in the system - if they insisted on Advanced Highers (for subjects other than medicine and similar subjects), they'd be ruling out a big chunk of Scots whose schools don't make good provisions for them, so Highers have to be treated with more weight - but it still seemed so bizarre to discover.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Mayfly
Yeahhhh, I got an unconditional with my highers, without having even sat my AHs. I couldn't believe when I got to Oxford and got told so many of my friends got rejected with all As at A-levels. Obviously it's because of the difference in the system - if they insisted on Advanced Highers (for subjects other than medicine and similar subjects), they'd be ruling out a big chunk of Scots whose schools don't make good provisions for them, so Highers have to be treated with more weight - but it still seemed so bizarre to discover.

Exactly, but I really admire Edinburgh for it. It's one reason they've slipped in the league tables, so it's a pretty brave step for a top university to allow its reputation to suffer slightly for a fairer admissions process.
Reply 62
anyone?
Reply 63
I would apply if I was you :P
I know I'm Scottish but when I did my Standard Grades (kind of like your GCSE's) I only got 2's, and 3's - Equivalent to B's and C's.
Also if your predicted for 4 A's thats well above the 3 B's that they state as there minimum requirements :P
Reply 64
Does anyone know how much emphasis Edinburgh puts on the personal statement?
Reply 65
d123
Does anyone know how much emphasis Edinburgh puts on the personal statement?

Because of the large number of straight A applicants Edinburgh gets I believe it is an important factor.
Reply 66
Fwapper
Because of the large number of straight A applicants Edinburgh gets I believe it is an important factor.

Ok thanks.

I'm not early entry so I've got plenty of time to improve it.
Reply 67
d123
Ok thanks.

I'm not early entry so I've got plenty of time to improve it.

Feel free to submit it to the Personal Statement Help forums if you want it looked over.

I do the Computer Science ones :smile:
Reply 68
will274
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/finder/degree.php?id=0,18,L200

Unless I'm mistaken it says that the typical entry requirement and offer will be AAA this year unless you meet a load of extra criteria. Thus, less people will meet the requirement so more offers will be given out as more people will miss out on results day. Plus I would think that they will be more likely to give an offer to someone who has achieved AAA already, than someone who is predicted to achieve below the typical entry requirements because they thought that it was still BBB. Plus I'm not counting chickens, but rather simply saying that I think I have a slightly higher chance of getting an offer than under the previous system of BBB for all. It's still insanely competitive at the end of the day.

Yes, an awful lot of people have AAA but the offer is still BBB and you were implying that the offer is now AAA, which it isn't. Meaning regardless, they're still going to give out the same amount of offers because the people who were predicted AAA will still meet a BBB offer unless something goes wrong.

All that AAA thing means is that they're telling you in advance that most people applying have AAA. However, the minimum entry reqirements are still BBB and therefore the offer you will recieve will be BBB.
I think you should really push for the German A Level! I'm native German too, and I've just finished it (I did it a year early) so really, all I need now is two Bs to get into Edinburgh - I'm applying for Scandinavian Studies.

And it sounds like with yoru grades you definitely should apply. The prospectus says 3Bs; they'll probably offer you what they think you can achieve. If someone who's predicted AAA applies, they'll probably get something like an AAA or an AAB offer. If you think you'll be getting AABB, they'll probably give you an ABB or a BBB offer.
Reply 70
barefootfiona
And it sounds like with yoru grades you definitely should apply. The prospectus says 3Bs; they'll probably offer you what they think you can achieve. If someone who's predicted AAA applies, they'll probably get something like an AAA or an AAB offer. If you think you'll be getting AABB, they'll probably give you an ABB or a BBB offer.

As far as I know, all offers for Humanities and Social Sciences courses are BBB.
I actually haven't heard of anyone who got a different offer other than the typical BBB.
ExDeusVenitBritannia
Just to make the BBB offer clear, it's the university's standard offer to those they deem worthy of a place to be earned in one sitting. What that means is that you must be capable of at least BBB, because that's the minimum prediction needed to be considered for a place, but once you're being considered you have to be able to hold your own against people with predictions of AAAAA and fantastic GCSE results. In a way a BBB offer is misleading, because they are expecting many well-qualified applicants, of whom they pick the best, and for most courses at Edinburgh predictions of less than AAA are not conducive to success in any significant measure. Preference is given to certain groups of people, such as locals, Scots and Northerners, those whose parents have no formal education beyond what were then O-Levels, those from schools that send few people to university, and some other criteria.

Essentially, the battle is won or lost at the offer stage, because BBB is supposed to be attainable by anyone and everyone deemed worthy of Edinburgh. In that way it's pretty fair because many things can go wrong with an exam that give pretty unrepresentative pictures of academic ability, but grade predictions are often more representative of general ability some would argue.

In short, I don't know whether you should. If you tick some of the boxes I mentioned about preference in the admissions process, by all means apply (though I don't think they apply to foreigners), because they would compensate for your less than AAAAA grades. Don't forget Edinburgh is the 4th best research university in the UK, so it should really have Oxbridge style AAA offers as standard: if it did, would you still be thinking about applying? That's the question you have to answer for yourself because really that's what Edinburgh look for, they just don't make it concrete because there are ways to lower their expectations slightly.

EDVB

Thank you, I couldnt have asked for a better answer :smile:
also, do you know whether they teach scottish or english law?
barefootfiona
I'm applying for Scandinavian Studies; and then Scottish Ethnology. They will be taking up seperate spaces on the UCAS form though - not a dual degree.

Ah, welcome to the Edinburgh forum. Like I'm sure I've said over in the UCL subforum, if you've any questions regarding Edinburgh's Scandinavian course feel free to ask me :smile:
Cleopatra:)

also, do you know whether they teach scottish or english law?

:eek: Scottish law, what with the location...
nearlyheadlessian
Ah, welcome to the Edinburgh forum. Like I'm sure I've said over in the UCL subforum, if you've any questions regarding Edinburgh's Scandinavian course feel free to ask me :smile:

I have got a question as a matter of fact! It's liek you're sent from heaven. the Great Possibility's abode.

Agnosticism makes common speech so much more difficult.

ANYWAY, I just went on timetab to work out my theoretical timetable (for fun) and is it right that Norwegian 1A is at 5 every day? And is that the only course I'll be doing in the Scandinavian Studies course? It's just that all the others seem to have several. Is the Norwegian 1A worth 40 units?

And just so you know, I desperately want to go to Edinburgh now. Do you think the fact that I don't live in Scotland or The North will be a big factor or a minor one?
barefootfiona
ANYWAY, I just went on timetab to work out my theoretical timetable (for fun) and is it right that Norwegian 1A is at 5 every day? And is that the only course I'll be doing in the Scandinavian Studies course? It's just that all the others seem to have several. Is the Norwegian 1A worth 40 units?

And just so you know, I desperately want to go to Edinburgh now. Do you think the fact that I don't live in Scotland or The North will be a big factor or a minor one?

Yeah, it's true the 1A courses are all at 5pm (according to my classmates last year who came through Swedish 1A, it can be pretty hard work to finish at 6pm in winter!). In first year that's all you do in Scandinavian Studies (in the 1A course you get a fair amount of contact time, 5 or 6 hours a week I believe). You can try and get onto courses like Scandinavian Historical and Cultural Topics, which is a 2nd year course but doesn't have any entry requirements. In reality though, you're obviously encouraged to spend 1st year doing as many different things as possible, so 40 credits in Norwegian should be more than enough.

Where you come from should play no part at all in their consideration of your application or you consideration of going or not. Have you been to an open day? Or spoken to anybody from department?
Yes and yes - with two people. One Swedish guy who loooked a bit like David Tennant and basically told me to come back when there was a Norwegian guy; and then a Norwegian man (who I have been told by you was probabyl Arne Kruse) who I spoke to for about half an hour.

And it's just that it says on the prospectus that they do give 'special consideration' and preference to those 'from' (and here they mean 'living in') Scotland and The North. I think now that I've decided I really want to go to Edinburgh, I'm suddenly afraid I won't get in! But hopefully I will.
barefootfiona
And it's just that it says on the prospectus that they do give 'special consideration' and preference to those 'from' (and here they mean 'living in') Scotland and The North. I think now that I've decided I really want to go to Edinburgh, I'm suddenly afraid I won't get in! But hopefully I will.

The special consideration that they give is really nothing more than a local access scheme (ie people from around Edinburgh, Clackmannanshire, the Lothians, Borders, and the central belt) will have preferential treatment in terms of nicer offers. People from wider Scotland and the north of England get just about no benefits, whatever the prospectus may say!
Im looking to apply for Chemical Engineering starting in 2010. I wanted to know, does studying in King's Buildings mean you spend alot less time in the centre of Edinburgh? And what is the transport like from Pollock Halls to KB's?
I'm applying :smile:

English Lit.

Latest

Trending

Trending