35mm_
I'm applying :smile:

English Lit.

Prepare to compete with me for a place :awesome:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Colonel Brusnahan

A bit of friendly competition never hurt anybody.

Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 82
35mm_
A bit of friendly competition never hurt anybody.

Good luck with your application :smile:

Same to you, hope to see you there :smile:

But...I'm willing to fight dirty, so watch yourself :lolwut:
Reply 83
Edinburgh say they want BBB for most of the courses there. If i got an equivalent of ABC would they consider me realistically or just dismiss it because of the C?
Reply 84
Colonel Brusnahan

And me.
I seriously hope i get an offer, Edinburgh is like my dream course, and ideal location all rolled into one. The applicants per place ratio doesn't look promising, though :frown:
And i'm a resit candidate too dammit.
Reply 85
simon01228
Edinburgh say they want BBB for most of the courses there. If i got an equivalent of ABC would they consider me realistically or just dismiss it because of the C?

Being realistic, I think that for the more competitive courses (most arts and social sciences) they say that unless you're spec. circumstances you're unlikely to be considered without AAA. I was predicted AAA last year and didn't get a Philosophy offer.
Reply 86
simon01228

ABC isn't the same as BBB just because it has the same number of UCAS points. BBB means they want you to have at least a B in 3 A levels, having a C therefore isn't meeting that requirement. If you were to apply with ABC predictions they would reject you, and if you were to get an offer and then get ABC they wouldn't really listen to excuses on results day, put it that way.
joe_hamilton
Im looking to apply for Chemical Engineering starting in 2010. I wanted to know, does studying in King's Buildings mean you spend alot less time in the centre of Edinburgh? And what is the transport like from Pollock Halls to KB's?

:O Im doing Chem eng too!
Reply 88
Hey there,

I'm thinking of applying to do Computer Science / Infomatics at Edinburgh and I was just wondering if it's a good place to go, from a social / price wise point of view?

I'm not from Scotland and I've only been to Scotland/Edinburgh once for a weekend visit, so I didn't really learn much about it apart from the fact it's really really big!
Reply 89
It's a great place and you definetly won't be short of things to do. Price wise it isn't too bad either (average 3 quid a pint in town) although i've never lived anywhere else to compare it to. It isn't that big either really compared to other cities but I suppose versions of big will differ as to where your from. You'd have a great time though i'd reckon and prices will be a lot cheaper in the union for drinks.
So far, I've found prices to be really reasonable, especially with a student card.
Reply 91
For computer science it has the best research in Europe.
simon01228

They are really strict with the requirements especially as the courses are over subscribed so want a minimum of BBB in each subject. My requirements were BBBB and came out with AABC + AB at advanced higher but because of that C they didn't take a second look really.
...Give out ABB offers in the faculty of science? On the UCAS it says minimum entry requirements: AAB-ABB, but on their website it says AAB. So I was wondering, do they still give out offers of ABB?

Thanks.
Reply 94
Hello people. Applying to various universities for Chem Eng 2010, and Edinburgh is one of my definite choices.

Just wondering; since I plan on applying for 2nd year entry, what do I miss from the 1st year? Also, on my UCAS form, I guess I put down "2" as the "point of entry"?
Could someone please chance me for Edinburgh to study Mathematics?

I got an offer last year with AS grades C, E, U. I didn't meet the grades unfortunately, but I'm reapplying in a stronger position.

A2

Mathematics - C

Modules: A, A, A, D, E, E.

Religious Studies - C

Modules: B, B, B, C, D, D.

Turkish - D

Modules: D, D.

General Studies: D

Modules: A, B, B, C, D, U.

I'm going to resit the modules in bold, and I might resit the Turkish. I'm expecting grades ABB. Last year I was stuffed with exams doing 3 full A levels in 1 year. But this time I'll be doing 3 exams in January and 4 in June.

I have a very strong Personal Statement, but it's virtually the same one I used last year and I'm a private candidate.

Chance me please.
Reply 96
Ok this is my first ever post - Hi everybody!!!

But yeah so sorry in advance if this question has been asked multiple times or otherwise ruffles peoples feathers in some way.

I always had the impression that english/welsh students pay standard scottish Uni fees, only minus the giant grant scot students get, and are still eligible for UK funding....happy times.

However...a teacher at my school who's got a reputation for being an authority on Unis, UCAS etc. said at an Info. meeting 'Oh Scottish Universities treat you english people as foreigners i.e overseas students.'

That was a little odd. So I checked up the website for fees etc. and it indeed implies that English Welsh applicants are called as 'overseas' because there the EU tarriff excludes 'rest of UK' and the only remainng tarirff is for overseas people....you can imagine the reaction '***********************************************************'
The prospectus, the website, and people at school I ask are being SO vague about this...so what's actually going on? I know a girl who studies English at Edinburgh and ended up paying half of what standard English fees, but that was well over a decade ago and I'm sure things have changed hugely. Anyone help me out?

Oh man what a long post! Thanks for reading guys!
Fees for people from England, Wales and Northern Ireland are £1820 for a year this year (09/10). Generally increase a little bit each year. You can look at fees for Edinburgh here. Student finance will lend you the money to pay these tuition fees.
Reply 98
Yeah, £1820 is the figure for EU and Home students, sure, but the prospectus claims this EU/Home tarriff excludes England Wales and NI
Reply 99
fleisch09
Yeah, £1820 is the figure for EU and Home students, sure, but the prospectus claims this EU/Home tarriff excludes England Wales and NI

I'm English and I'm paying £1820 for this year.

Latest

Trending

Trending