The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Want to apply, but I've heard its expensive...

I'm researching unis to apply to for 2011, and I'm quite interested in Bristol. However I've been told its one of the most expensive places to be a student =\ Is it really that much more expensive than other places in the south? I'm also considering Bath and Southampton.
tehsponge
I'm researching unis to apply to for 2011, and I'm quite interested in Bristol. However I've been told its one of the most expensive places to be a student =\ Is it really that much more expensive than other places in the south? I'm also considering Bath and Southampton.

Really I wanted to study in Bristol!

London is pricey though, but that's kinda obvious.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
It's not THAT expensive a place, but if you're comparing it to say, sheffield and newcastle then of course it will seem expensive by comparison. it's certainly not as expensive as london and is probably on a par with bath and southampton.
Reply 3
Cost of living can easily be kept manageable. Housing costs are reasonably high, but then the student housing stock is a little better than the average I would say.
Reply 4
I studied my bachelor's in Manchester and my masters in Bristol. There's no avoiding that Bristol is a bit more expensive (drink and house prices most noticeably), but not extortionately more so. Even that's a rough generalisation, cheap decent houses can be found in Bristol although they do take some searching, and there are plenty enough student club nights with reasonably priced drinks. Don't let it affect your choice of university, it's not that big a deal. It's nowhere near London costs.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I've decided I'm applying for Bristol :awesome:
Reply 6
tehsponge
I've decided I'm applying for Bristol :awesome:

Do it mate!! I'm a fresher and Bristol is an amazing city, I love it here.
Reply 7
alex91
Do it mate!! I'm a fresher and Bristol is an amazing city, I love it here.

And it has awesome pharmacology industry connections, so I'd be stupid not to apply :awesome:
Reply 8
I live on 20/week for food etc. Its not expensive at all. London is most expensive and I come from London so I am probably biased there.
Original post by tehsponge

I don't go to the Uni but I did live in Bristol for the last 10 years so I feel qualified to answer this question :P

Yes it is quite an expensive city BUT it is easily possible to live cheaply in your day to day life, the only thing that will cost you more than most places as a student are nights out, but not that much more than most places, personally I never thought it was far too expensive, and after a while you get used to it anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending