The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Please help me defer my postgrad acceptance at UCL

This is my second thread, though my first one had zero answers, but I'm still hoping someone will answer me this time.

I got an MA unconditional acceptance at UCL for the year 2012\2013. When I filled out my application I wrote that I will personally fund myself. However, at that time I was almost sure I will get a scholarship, but life interfered and I discovered yesterday that I didn't get it.

Now my problem is I can not financially cover maintenance\tuition fee for a year in London. I already have a job and in this economy attaining one is not easy. So, I decided to work for another year to save up for my expenses.

On one hand, I'm afraid to email UCL only to discover that they refuse my deferral and then I'll lose my acceptance. On the other hand, I don't want to be buried in student loans.

Has this happened to anyone before? Is my reason convincing for UCL to deffer my acceptance?

Also, I'm an international student if that makes any difference.

Please help me. I'm really conflicted and don't know what to do!
Reply 1
If you give your reasons, which are very good reasons, I'm sure it'd be fine. Ring up admissions or write a really nice letter and explain how much you want the degree but that it just isn't financially feasible at the moment. It happens quite a lot and I would defer sooner rather than later.

I don't think you'd lose your place - I think it's a case of them either letting you defer or saying no so really you've got nothing to lose.

Good luck :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Hello,

Just give them a call, I'm sure they will understand.

Why don't you want to get a student loan; it will be the most easiest loan that you can ever take out. You will only pay a given amount once your 21, when you start work. They cannot take any of your personal assets as with other loans.

Kind Regards,

D
Original post by badboyilham
Hello,

Just give them a call, I'm sure they will understand.

Why don't you want to get a student loan; it will be the most easiest loan that you can ever take out. You will only pay a given amount once your 21, when you start work. They cannot take any of your personal assets as with other loans.

Kind Regards,

D

This is for postgrad, so the loans work differently.

OP- as the other poster said, it's unlikely they will rescind their offer for this autumn. If you met the conditions, you met the conditions. However, I'm not sure they are under any obligation to allow you to defer. You will have to speak to them directly to find out.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Wow I was not expecting a fast reply! Thank you so much for all your help. I'll try to contact the admissions as soon as possible and see what happens.
Reply 5
Hi, I am in the same situation as you and at UCL as well. So what happened? Is it worth contacting admissions?
Thanks

Original post by perspectivestudent
Wow I was not expecting a fast reply! Thank you so much for all your help. I'll try to contact the admissions as soon as possible and see what happens.
Reply 6
I deferred last year to start this September and it was no problem. I'm about to start and MSc so got in touch with my department / course coordinator directly.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem at all if you want to defer. Everyone I spoke with was really helpful.
I wrote an eloquent letter explaining my reasons and emailed the admission's office. They forward my email to the department. Two weeks later, they responded and were very helpful and accepted my deferral. They sent me an offer letter for the academic year 2013\3014. The whole process took about two weeks, so don't worry if they took a while to respond.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by ClaireyG
I deferred last year to start this September and it was no problem. I'm about to start and MSc so got in touch with my department / course coordinator directly.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem at all if you want to defer. Everyone I spoke with was really helpful.

What did you write in your deferral letter?
Hello, I am someone exactly in the situation you were 8 years ago. I have an unconditional offer for a MA degree at UCL. Can you please tell me did you manage to get the deferral? Hope you revert.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending