The Student Room Group

Stuck after an MSc in Biotechnology!! :(

Hello everyone!

Yup, newbie here! Hope I'm not starting up an already answered Q and if I am, apologize in advance.

I just completed my Msc. in Biotechnology last October. And have not found a suitable job role as of yet. I've been looking out at common employment websites- totaljobs, reed, indeed etc. for something relating to the field- ANY thing to gain some lab experience but have been lost for the past 5 months.

Any advice as to where to look, or who to apply to would be helpful. I've also applied to a few graduate schemes but haven't heard from them yet. A research technician/ lab tech post would be more than suitable for some experience but I never seem to get replies to any of my applications, and of those which do, are rejected. :frown:

Help would be appreciated! :smile:
Original post by devil.cried
Hello everyone!

Yup, newbie here! Hope I'm not starting up an already answered Q and if I am, apologize in advance.

I just completed my Msc. in Biotechnology last October. And have not found a suitable job role as of yet. I've been looking out at common employment websites- totaljobs, reed, indeed etc. for something relating to the field- ANY thing to gain some lab experience but have been lost for the past 5 months.

Any advice as to where to look, or who to apply to would be helpful. I've also applied to a few graduate schemes but haven't heard from them yet. A research technician/ lab tech post would be more than suitable for some experience but I never seem to get replies to any of my applications, and of those which do, are rejected. :frown:

What's your BSc in? What did you get? Where did you go? What did you get in your masters? Where did you go?
Reply 2
Well, I did both my BSc. and MSc. in Biotechnology. And both from the University of Glasgow. I got a distinction in Bachelors and a merit pass in Masters. And the rest of the story remains the same. :smile:
Well, I did both my BSc. and MSc. in Biotechnology. And both from the University of Glasgow. I got a distinction in Bachelors and a merit pass in Masters. And the rest of the story remains the same. :smile:

Have you thought about doing a PhD?
Hello everyone!

http://jobs.ac.uk is a great site to look for positions in academia.
Reply 5
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Have you thought about doing a PhD?

Yes I have, looking into PhD programmes starting around Oct-Dec. But here's the thing, I haven't receive one positive response after a Masters. Makes me wonder if things would change after a PhD. All my expectations on this field has gone boom. Wonder if recession has anything to do with it or it's just the field altogether.

I have checked jobs.ac.uk as well mate, just left out mentioning it.
Reply 6
Yes I have, looking into PhD programmes starting around Oct-Dec. But here's the thing, I haven't receive one positive response after a Masters. Makes me wonder if things would change after a PhD. All my expectations on this field has gone boom. Wonder if recession has anything to do with it or it's just the field altogether.

I have checked jobs.ac.uk as well mate, just left out mentioning it.

Hmm.. so much for Biotech being one of the growth areas of the future eh?! :biggrin:

I suggested to another guy that Biofuels might be worth looking into. In 2010 several companies were claiming that they were very soon going to be moving from test stage to full production so they must surely need more staff. BP and Shell both have partnerships in the field. Also high tech prosthetics is a growing field and ought to be recession proof. They'll need guys to do the bio interface stuff as well as the engineering. Anyway a couple of ideas.
Reply 7
Hello everyone!

Have you had you CV/ application looked over by someone who knows about these things? It could be that you're not selling yourself very well.

If not, there is a CV help forum that might be useful to you.

The other thing is that Masters degrees only tend to help you if they are directly relevant to the job, otherwise you're at no particular advantage over people graduating with Bachelors.

If you don't have experience, maybe try to focus on bigger companies with graduate schemes who are willing to train you up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending