The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got an A at GCSE and found AS fine (did come out with a B rather than an A though...)
Originally Posted by conroe-killed-the-k8-star
got 6 marks off an A* then got a B at AS level the following year (feel I probably should have done better though).

OOH snap exactly!!
Anna_The_Giant_Banana
i think it depends on how hard u had to work for u A at gcse
if u did tons of work and struggled to get that grade then i wouldnt recommend taking maths As

I can get an A comfortably without the need for revision. I'm a HIGH A as in I get something ridiculous out of 200 like 174, which is 6 marks off A*
Originally Posted by conroe-killed-the-k8-star
got 6 marks off an A* then got a B at AS level the following year (feel I probably should have done better though).

OOH snap exactly!! :p:
Coke Or Pepsi
I can get an A comfortably without the need for revision. I'm a HIGH A as in I get something ridiculous out of 200 like 174, which is 6 marks off A*

well then defo go for it! :smile: if u wre only 6 marks off i dont think it matters that much whether it came naturally to u or not, providing u put effort in.
:smile: Thank you all.
I got an A* and am finding C1 quite difficult. I'm finding I can do the stuff in the lessons but come HW time I can't remember a thing. I did a class test on the first half of C1 last week and didn't do that well.
Reply 47
THIS IS MADNESS!! taking A-level maths with a measely A at GCSE, how could one ever think of such a crazy idea?!
Reply 48
i know someone with A at GCSE and taking further maths aswell!
I would not reccomend it, but there have been cases where the A was by accident or just on the day
thats why you could also take into account what teachers tell you and what your grades have been like throughout the year...
in general GCSE =A --> AS Level =C!!
Reply 49
I heard at A-level it is more about putting the work in rather than just being clever like I know someone that got an A* at GCSE but a U at A-level. So yeh if your willing to put the work in defo :biggrin:, but i dont think it can be kinda coasted through :smile:
Reply 50
Yeah, it's fine as long as you are willing to work hard:smile:
Reply 51
I heard at A-level it is more about putting the work in rather than just being clever like I know someone that got an A* at GCSE but a U at A-level. So yeh if your willing to put the work in defo :biggrin:, but i dont think it can be kinda coasted through :smile:
Reply 52
Mr Snips
Hell to that! I got a B on the intermediate tier GCSE and I've got As on C1 and C2

how did you go such a change? any tips/advice etc
Reply 53
_Jeb_
i got a C in GCSE maths...i am hitting the 90s in maths..lolz XD

how did you go such a change? any tips/advice etc
I got an A at GCSE maths but i probably could've got an A* if i had revised harder.
The thing is with maths, you have to keep doing it and practicing it and make sure you fully understand everything
once you understand, it will seem piss easy to you :smile:

I'm doing maths at AS level and some of it i'm finding easy, but some of it i'm finding really difficult. It seriously does depend on your teacher and how much you practice.

If you put the hours in, you'll do great :yep:
good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 55
Stop comparing yourself to others and just make sure you're grounded with the basics of math.

A friend of mine got a 'C' at GCSE math (intermediate tier), he got an 'A' at A-level math. (He also attended state school for both examinations.)

If your understanding in lower-level math is ungrounded, go back and relearn the concepts. Math is highly accumulative; make sure you're getting the A* at GCSE level before you move on.
Reply 56
As long as you're prepared to work hard it doesn't matter - but that's regardless of grade.
I got an A at GCSE in year 10, then got a B in A-levels.
As everyone's said, if you put the work in you can get a good grade. I didn't do any resits, and did my AS alongside 12 other GCSE subjects without as good a grounding as you get by doing GCSE in two years (I didn't 'understand' gcse, just 'knew' it) at a pretty bad school - one of the worst in the county at gcse/AS. So yeah, it is possible :smile:
Reply 58
I got a B at GCSE and i'm up to C2 and find it okay up to now, you'll be fine with an A :smile:
Reply 59
Jooeee
Anyone, really, can get A* at GCSE if they just whore the revision.

Very true. Revised **** loads for my A* but wouldnt DREAM of taking it for A-Level because I'm not naturally good at maths and so it would take a lot of work and would pull all of my other A-Level grades down I think.

Latest