The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Warwick for both - do not know by how much
Reply 2
Warwick has the highest application:tongue:laces ratio than any other UK law school but both ask for AAA at A2 level. Warwick may be slightly more difficult to get into and it may edge QMUL in terms of its reputation, but both are excellent schools and graduates from both universities have very strong employment prospects. :smile:
Reply 3
Mr_Deeds
Warwick has the highest application:tongue:laces ratio than any other UK law school but both ask for AAA at A2 level. Warwick may be slightly more difficult to get into and it may edge QMUL in terms of its reputation, but both are excellent schools and graduates from both universities have very strong employment prospects. :smile:

Are you a second year or third year law student? And what is your source for that statement?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
vnupe
Are you a second year or third year law student? And what is your source for that statement?

I was waiting for that :p:! There's an article on the Times' website which discussed this in detail. Unfortunately, as with much of the site, you now have to pay to view it.

To illustrate my point. For 2010 entry QMUL received approximately 3,000 applicants for 215 places on their law programme. That works out at 1:13. For 2008 entry Warwick's application to place ratio was 1:24.

And yes, I'm a final year. Starting my LPC/training contract next. :smile:
Reply 5
If it was simply based off of uni and not location, I'd have picked applying to Warwick over QMUL. But the negligble difference between the two made London the pick.

Before people go off on a tangent about QMUL being overrated...Before applying a family friend who graduated from Trinity Hall-Cambridge advised on some unis before I sent off my application. He and other partners at several magic circle firms gave me critiques of the reps at each uni. All came to the consensus that QMUL is one of the most solid picks for any type of arbitration/litigation. These were the words from a senior lawyer at Clifford Chance and a partner at Baker.
Reply 6
Mr_Deeds
I was waiting for that :p:! There's an article on the Times' website which discussed this in detail. Unfortunately, as with much of the site, you now have to pay to view it.

To illustrate my point. For 2010 entry QMUL received approximately 3,000 applicants for 215 places on their law programme. That works out at 1:13. For 2008 entry Warwick's application to place ratio was 1:24.

And yes, I'm a final year. Starting my LPC/training contract next. :smile:

Good luck with the LPC/TC... are many of the lawyers from Warwick recruited?
Reply 7
vnupe
Good luck with the LPC/TC... are many of the lawyers from Warwick recruited?

There are quite a few! I know people with TC's from each of the magic circle firms. A handful have TCs at the American firms and more again have offers from a handful of silver circle. There are a minority of people with straight rejections but I don't think the climate has helped - firm's have all said how much more competitive this year has been! Overall it's been quite positive, though, and most applicants were given quite a few interviews. :smile:
Reply 8
adam0311
All came to the consensus that QMUL is one of the most solid picks for any type of arbitration/litigation.

What does this mean?
Reply 9
SamKar
So which firm are you doing your TC with?

Hogan Lovells. :smile:
Reply 10
Focus08
It's a factual statement.

We rule :awesome:

heheheh e

That train is never late, I was wondering how long it would take before you would appear... heheheheh

Sounds like you people of Warwick (old and new) are a special breed... the key though is how would describe special? hehehehe
Reply 11
vnupe
heheheh e

That train is never late, I was wondering how long it would take before you would appear... heheheheh

Sounds like you people of Warwick (old and new) are a special breed... the key though is how would describe special? hehehehe

Less of that. :mad:
Reply 12
Mr_Deeds
Less of that. :mad:

Don't get mad Deeds, take it as a compliment... especially considering my age...
Reply 13
SamKar
Warwick is one of the top 6 unis that city firms (finance and law) recruit highly from

The others being: cambridge, oxford, lse, ucl and imperial

So yeah I would say warwick (Y)

Imperial doesn't even offer Law...

KCL is certainly up there for recruitment prospects with firms and chambers, as is Durham.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Mr_Deeds

I think this is essentially all the OP needs to know. :yes:

This thread seems likely to descend into the usual bickering over the university league tables, with the inevitable conclusion that because QMUL has high student satisfaction ratings, this in some way influences things.

From my own experience, I liked Warwick as a campus, as a course and as an academic institution, but my issue was with the surrounding area. Stratford upon Avon isn't the best area, unless you've got a car! I didn't apply to QMUL, but its location in London would be a factor for me. (I'm at KCL).
Reply 15
thejonsmith
Imperial doesn't even offer Law...

KCL is certainly up there for recruitment prospects with firms and chambers, as is Durham.

I think he was referring to the big finance firms too. They recruit quite heavily from Imperial. :yep:

vnupe
Don't get mad Deeds, take it as a compliment... especially considering my age...

:laugh:! Not old, just wise. :p:
Reply 16
thejonsmith
I think this is essentially all the OP needs to know. :yes:

This thread seems likely to descend into the usual bickering over the university league tables, with the inevitable conclusion that because QMUL has high student satisfaction ratings, this in some way influences things.

From my own experience, I liked Warwick as a campus, as a course and as an academic institution, but my issue was with the surrounding area. Stratford upon Avon isn't the best area, unless you've got a car! I didn't apply to QMUL, but its location in London would be a factor for me. (I'm at KCL).

Stratford's miles away! We're closer to Coventry, tbh. Not that this is anything to boast about whatsoever. :p:
Reply 17
Mr_Deeds
I think he was referring to the big finance firms too. They recruit quite heavily from Imperial. :yep:

:laugh:! Not old, just wise. :p:

Well you know what they say, 'with age comes wisdom'... plus I take you to be about 21-23 y.o. And if you respond excitedly (in a bad way) about 23, then I would say closer to 21..
Reply 18
Mr_Deeds

Possibly, but I don't really see the relevance of the finance sector.

Also, off topic slightly, what did you attain in your degree, and what was your CV like in terms of legal experience, to secure your TC? I'll be off to the College of Law (or similar) next year, so it'd be a useful comparison (although I'll be doing the BPTC).
Reply 19
Mr_Deeds
Stratford's miles away! We're closer to Coventry, tbh. Not that this is anything to boast about whatsoever. :p:

I was just thinking Mr Deeds, surely all of the russell group uni's have good employment prospects and you have a good chance, depending on your academic performance at these uni's, of getting a TC at a top firm (even magic circle)?!

I think a person with a 2:1 from warwick in competition with someone with a 2:1 from, say, liverpool would both be considered equally, yet other factors will come into play to make the decision. The university won't be the deciding factor. That is for all russell group / top 20 unis!
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending