The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tigermoth99
Film Studies is one of the subjects funded by the AHRC (it falls under Film Studies and Television Studies)

According to the summary of BGP studentships, there are 14 studentships for this subjects in 2011-12. These fall under Research Preparation Scheme - master's intended to lead to further study e.g PhD.

The other two aren't, afaik. Universities which teach them might offer their own scholarships, though. You could look into taking out a Professional and Career Development Loan, too, if you do want to study one of them.

Thank you :biggrin:

I've got a feeling I saw something about AHRC mentioned on the University's website at some point, but as I was just browsing through I didn't look further, will do now :biggrin:
Reply 441
Does anyone know of any scholarship programs for British students to do MA's in North America beyond Fulbright and Kennedy Scholarships? I'm nearly half way through my 2nd year now and I'm weighing up my options post graduation. Post grad study in North America is something I'd love to do but I simply can't afford it without a scholarship and Fulbright is a long shot at best.
Original post by ajp100688
Does anyone know of any scholarship programs for British students to do MA's in North America beyond Fulbright and Kennedy Scholarships? I'm nearly half way through my 2nd year now and I'm weighing up my options post graduation. Post grad study in North America is something I'd love to do but I simply can't afford it without a scholarship and Fulbright is a long shot at best.

Have a look out for any studentships offered by the universities. When I was thinking about studying for an MFA in the US (Portland/Seattle area) I came across some offered to non-US residents this way.
Reply 443
Original post by tigermoth99
Have a look out for any studentships offered by the universities. When I was thinking about studying for an MFA in the US (Portland/Seattle area) I came across some offered to non-US residents this way.

Yeah I've been poking around some American university websites (and Canadian) but their MA scholarships seem to be much like in the UK and rather lacking. Studentships tend to be narrowly associated with Phd or Phd track students aswell. Unless of course you're from an ethnic minority or something like a one footed black pgymy with dyslexia, if not then it seems to be a struggle.

I'm going to apply via Fulbright but I don't hold out much hope of success considering I don't have the spare cash to do internships and volunteer and all that jazz that'll make me stand out against other Fulbright candidates.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this kind of information is available, but does anyone know if figures exist regarding the success rates of those applying for research council funding or similar, specifically AHRC studentships in the field of history? Even if such data doesn't exist, could anyone give me some anecdotal evidence that would help me get a clearer picture? I'm going for the spread bets approach of applying for any kind of funding wherever I can find it (with some consideration for academic standards, obviously) but it would be nice to know whether full funding is a real possibility or nothing more than a tantalizing mirage.

If any background information helps, I have a good degree from the University of London, some lovely referees, and a clear idea of how my studies could lead directly into future research at the doctoral level and beyond (even if said research isn't exactly warm, cuddly or 'sexy').

And by the way, in your responses could you please try to shatter my dreams gently, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack
Reply 445
Original post by Natterjack
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this kind of information is available, but does anyone know if figures exist regarding the success rates of those applying for research council funding or similar, specifically AHRC studentships in the field of history? Even if such data doesn't exist, could anyone give me some anecdotal evidence that would help me get a clearer picture? I'm going for the spread bets approach of applying for any kind of funding wherever I can find it (with some consideration for academic standards, obviously) but it would be nice to know whether full funding is a real possibility or nothing more than a tantalizing mirage.

If any background information helps, I have a good degree from the University of London, some lovely referees, and a clear idea of how my studies could lead directly into future research at the doctoral level and beyond (even if said research isn't exactly warm, cuddly or 'sexy').

And by the way, in your responses could you please try to shatter my dreams gently, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Welcome to the forum :smile:

It's harder to know these days as the funding is with the universities and that's where the decisions are now made. It used to be central applications to the AHRC and they used to publish number of applicants to funding available. In a nutshell, the success rate isn't high, far from it and the majority of History students will be self funded for their MA and some do so for their PhD also.

In terms for MA funding - for September 2012 entry, there are only 57 funded spots available and that's across all universities that have BGP funding (not all universities have AHRC funding, and even if they do, they might not have any for History. The list of unis is on here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Postgraduate_Funding_in_the_Arts). Given the number of History graduates and the number that go onto MA study, the success rate isn't high. There arn't any actual stats as you'd need the number of applicants from individual universities (which they could give you under the Freedom of Information Act if you wanted to do so).

Doctoral funding - for September 2012 entry, there are only 109/110 spots again across the UK university system. Keep in mind that Oxford and Cambridge alone take up 30 of those, if not slightly more. Again, success rate you can pretty much work out isn't overly high.

In general terms, if you meet the eligibility criteria and tick the box to be 'considered for funding' most applicants will be put forward to have their application assessed for funding. Who you know helps, depending on the field obviously, your academic record (so without a first or an incredibly high/borderline 2:1 the chances decrease quickly), your proposed research which does need to be sexy unfortunately and a bit of luck. I've been through the process twice with a proposal well liked by big names in the field but because of my 2:1 and it not being as 'sexy' as it should have been, funding applications didn't get anywhere.

AHRC funding tends to be all or nothing as well. Universities themselves occasionally offer fees only bursaries which is better than nothing but it's then finding the living costs. Doctoral funding you'll see being advertised through PhD studentships which may be funded by other other parties or the university themselves. The Wellcome Trust fund some PhDs if you're doing History of Medicine and then stipends are huge. The AHRC also fund some PhDs that are linked to a museum/historical collection with a proposed topic/research title in mind. Also History does come under the ESRC but their MAs are quite specific and needed if you then want to qualify for ESRC doctoral funding. Also, depending on field, it's worth considering the smaller lesser known unis if you have a specific supervisor in mind as they're often keen to gain PhD students to boost their research sides and may well have funds to pay people with.

Funding's tough at the moment, especially in the Arts and realistically those who are awarded funding are the best of applicants from a huge huge pool :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 446
I've been accepted onto a Politics MA course at Leeds for next September and have no way to fund it. I started looking into CDL loans and I just wondered whether having student overdrafts and credit card debt outstanding would have a negative affect on a CDL application? Is that something I should try and clear up as a priority?
Original post by Ezekiel
I've been accepted onto a Politics MA course at Leeds for next September and have no way to fund it. I started looking into CDL loans and I just wondered whether having student overdrafts and credit card debt outstanding would have a negative affect on a CDL application? Is that something I should try and clear up as a priority?

I am worried about this as well :s-smilie:
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
I am worried about this as well :s-smilie:

Have you looked at the Crowther Fund, PR? Awards of up to £1000 pa for OU grads. OK it wouldn't cover the entire fee, but it would make a bit of a dent in it. Worth a go?
Original post by lupinpooter
Have you looked at the Crowther Fund, PR? Awards of up to £1000 pa for OU grads. OK it wouldn't cover the entire fee, but it would make a bit of a dent in it. Worth a go?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have onLy just started my OU degree :smile:
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have onLy just started my OU degree :smile:

Ah OK, sorry I got the wrong end of the stick :colondollar:
Reply 451
Original post by Ezekiel

Credit card debts and an overdraft will probably help your case rather than hinder your application; from last year's career development loan thread the biggest problem for some people, and the main reason why most were rejected as far as I remember, was that they had no credit history and were never in debt, so to speak. I was quite a way into my overdraft with the same bank I applied to (Barclays) and was given the full £10,000.

I hope this has cleared up any worries you have.
Original post by evantej
Credit card debts and an overdraft will probably help your case rather than hinder your application; from last year's career development loan thread the biggest problem for some people, and the main reason why most were rejected as far as I remember, was that they had no credit history and were never in debt, so to speak. I was quite a way into my overdraft with the same bank I applied to (Barclays) and was given the full £10,000.

I hope this has cleared up any worries you have.
I had no credit history and debt when I applied for my career development loan and I was accept for it two weeks later (from Barclays). At the time I was reading in the findaPhD forum that people were getting rejected because of debt and bad credit rating and I've also read that here a lot since. Overdaft is not debt, going beyond it is. I was unemployed and living off my overdaft as well. If people really are getting rejected with no debt and credit rating...there must have been other factors. If people can't pay up debt...the bank will deem them too risky to loan to, especially in this economic climate.

On the subject of funding...from what I've seen in this thread people mainly talk about ARTS but science will be affected too. There's a chance I might not stay on after the end of my contract because of it. I heard a while ago that Warwick medical school might have to close...don't know if that's changed since.
(edited 13 years ago)
Does anyone know if the recent government decision to increase tuition fees will have an impact on those who are hoping to start postgrad study in September this year?
Reply 454
Original post by Charlieee
Does anyone know if the recent government decision to increase tuition fees will have an impact on those who are hoping to start postgrad study in September this year?

None at all. Fees don't rise until 2012 and that's for undergrad tuition fees only. PG fees are set by the universities anyway so I doubt they'll raise that much more than they already are. That said, it could all go tits up at some point...
Reply 455
Hi,
Does anyone know if you are able to accept one more than MSc offer? That is, one course at several universities, or do they know that you have accepted elsewhere?
Thanks!:smile:
Reply 456
Original post by k007
Hi,
Does anyone know if you are able to accept one more than MSc offer? That is, one course at several universities, or do they know that you have accepted elsewhere?
Thanks!:smile:

You are allowed to accept as many offers as you want; in fact, it is necessary in order to be considered for funding.
A bit unrelated but if you're not having any luck with the big grant awarding bodies, there are lots of smaller charities who consider individual applications, often depending on personal circumstances.

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/

This is quite a good website for looking for funds.
Hi guys, I'm hoping to get some funding to do my MA in Education Psychology and hopefully PHD but finding it near impossible. I wanted to apply for the ESRC studentship but the university i'm at ( sheffield) so not know if the studenship will be happening this year yet. I know there is a faculty scholarship happening, in which 2 candidates are chosen ( so not getting my hopes up). Both the ESRC 1+3 and PGR faculty scholarships require PHD proposal and have a willing supervisor. I have found a psychology professor who is willing to supervise me but have no idea how a PHD proposal should be structured or what needs to be included in a scholarship to be a success. I have a first class degree and have had my undergraduate research publish in an international journal... do you think that would help my application in any way? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 459
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading around recently and it's been great i found a discussion place with such a friendly atmosphere. And so I've decided to seek some advice.

Basically, I just graduated a Bsc in Psychology and I am very passionate about continuing my studies further i.e. at a postgraduate level. Unfortunately, willingness alone (well with some reasonable skills) doesn't solve all the problems around it.

It could be said my problem 1 is funding. I can not afford paying for a Msc and/or Phd. I've read much about students regretting for having taken Career Development Loans, so definitely won't go this way. I've read the alternative guide to postgrad funding, so I guess my lastest option would be seeking for small amounts of finance from multiple charity sources. But before doing that, I want to try to apply for research council funding. I am willing to go onto a 1+3 program. Does anyone have any experience of applying to ESRC for 1+3? I'd appreciate any advice for enhancing my chances.

Problem 2 is writing applications and personal statement in particular (which in fact has led me to discovering this forum). It's not that i am looking for easy ways of doing it, I just need to get an idea of whats expected from an application and especially in the case when applying for 1+3. I found very limited information on the web. For example, i still havent figured out whether I need to produce a detailed research proposal for a Phd or not when the application is for Msc+Phd. And I suppose I need to figure out how to write an application that would get the attention.

And here comes problem 3- the selling myself part. I don't see myself as outstanding, brilliant genius. Yet, all i want is to study, and have a long lasting career in research, as this is the sort of thing that has always inspired me the most. Foolishly, i did not plan my steps beforehand (i.e. whilst undergrad) because there were too many things going on in my life at that time and i had hard times coping with life. So, I haven't had the chance to gain some relevant experience (i've been working all the time to support myself but that wouldn't help as its no relevant experience). So, I guess that drops my chances a lot. I couldn't get a 1:1 (only 3% set me apart!) and was left with an upper second, which is still not that bad. I graduated UEL and although it's a great uni, I think it's not that catchy (in terms of academic reputation in comparison with grand unis like UCL, KCL, IoP etc). So, here's one more step aback. Oh yeah, and I have no journal publications.....

Tough,ah? Yep, i know but i am determined. I come from a poor background and I have to take care of myself and build my own bright future. So, as I said if you think you could help, please drop a line. Time and consideration much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending