1 week GP
1/2 week O&G
1 week psychiatric ward
1 week colorectal surgery
100+ hours work experience
100+ hours paid work, including tutoring 11+
Last years BMAT: 6.2;4.3;12
This years BMAT: 4.6;6.2;2A

Massively frustrated of course, especially as their encouragement to reapply last year was one of the rasons I turned down another offer. Now I have nothing. I wish they'd at least interviewed me.
Original post by futuremedic22
i got rejected pre-interview with a bmat of 6, 6, 3.5A; IB score of 41/45 and 12A*s GCSE's... as for a good ps and work experience, it was all there. Anyone want to explain this to me? I emailed the bitch and she gave me some vague feedback about there being not enough places and my overall application wasn't strong enough and she coudn't tell me anymore. No offence to anyone here but going by everyone who got interviews on this thread, that's a load of crap. **** those bastards.

There is no need to be bitter, it won't get you anywhere.

The most probable explanation is that your PS is not as good as you think it is.
i got rejected pre-interview with a bmat of 6, 6, 3.5A; IB score of 41/45 and 12A*s GCSE's... as for a good ps and work experience, it was all there. Anyone want to explain this to me? I emailed the bitch and she gave me some vague feedback about there being not enough places and my overall application wasn't strong enough and she coudn't tell me anymore. No offence to anyone here but going by everyone who got interviews on this thread, that's a load of crap. **** those bastards.

You're acting like they've killed your family. They're entitled to reject you. Your arrogant attitude probably didn't get you anywhere. UCL hate arrogance. They actually told me this in the pre-interview talk. "no offence to anyone here but going by everyone who got interviews on this thread, that's a load of crap". Who the hell do you think you are? I can tell you now, even if you did get in, an attitude like that would get you into a lot of trouble with the teachers and your peers.

Your PS and references hold a LOT of importance at UCL. Yours clearly weren't good enough. Medicine isn't all about GCSEs and BMAT.

Instead of being unconstructive and incredibly bitter and arrogant take a step back, stop being so blind and think "they've got years of experience accepting the best students to become doctors. What is wrong with my application?" There's a reason they rejected you, and that will probably be found in your personal statement and references.
How come you did not get an interview last year your BMAT was really good especially in section 3? have they given you any feedback? :smile: good luck I hope one of your other choices will make you an offer! :smile:
Reply 1124
Original post by nobcrobber
Reapplicant rejected without interview for the 2nd time in 2 years :frown:

A*A*A at A-Level (Bio, Chem, Eng Lit)
11A* at GCSE
2 weeks vascular surgery
1 week GP
1/2 week O&G
1 week psychiatric ward
1 week colorectal surgery
100+ hours work experience
100+ hours paid work, including tutoring 11+
Last years BMAT: 6.2;4.3;12
This years BMAT: 4.6;6.2;2A

Massively frustrated of course, especially as their encouragement to reapply last year was one of the rasons I turned down another offer. Now I have nothing. I wish they'd at least interviewed me.

The only possible reason I can think of explaining this is maybe if you wrote something horrendous in your personal statement... Demand an answer because in all seriousness your application beats mine by miles and I got an offer today, threaten a lawsuit or sumthing if they don't explain because... this annoys me ><

The only thing I actually beat you at is my BMAT, maybe your BMAT essay scared them away?? I did about 50 hours of volunteering got 5As and 5A*s at GCSE, and am predicted AAA at A2.

It kind of sucks if they care more about BMAT than ACTUAL exams
Reply 1125
Original post by xy7690*
which offer last year did u turn down? med is med whereever you go, and UCL is highly rated, but its kinda dry tbh...id just go wherever takes me

Explain please
Original post by Sereni
The only possible reason I can think of explaining this is maybe if you wrote something horrendous in your personal statement... Demand an answer because in all seriousness your application beats mine by miles and I got an offer today, threaten a lawsuit or sumthing if they don't explain because... this annoys me ><

The only thing I actually beat you at is my BMAT, maybe your BMAT essay scared them away?? I did about 50 hours of volunteering got 5As and 5A*s at GCSE, and am predicted AAA at A2.

It kind of sucks if they care more about BMAT than ACTUAL exams

what did you get in your bmat
Original post by Jessaay!
You're acting like they've killed your family. They're entitled to reject you. Your arrogant attitude probably didn't get you anywhere. UCL hate arrogance. They actually told me this in the pre-interview talk. "no offence to anyone here but going by everyone who got interviews on this thread, that's a load of crap". Who the hell do you think you are? I can tell you now, even if you did get in, an attitude like that would get you into a lot of trouble with the teachers and your peers.

Your PS and references hold a LOT of importance at UCL. Yours clearly weren't good enough. Medicine isn't all about GCSEs and BMAT.

Instead of being unconstructive and incredibly bitter and arrogant take a step back, stop being so blind and think "they've got years of experience accepting the best students to become doctors. What is wrong with my application?" There's a reason they rejected you, and that will probably be found in your personal statement and references.

Usually I don't argue about stupid things on TSR because there's so much negativity on here anyway but let me just clear a few things up.

1) I find it funny that you act like some father of knowledge, great defender of UCL on here, reprimanding people if they dare to question its ways. And of course you think UCL must be the God of picking out the best, most deserving people to be their medical students... and this obviously has nothing to do with the fact that you're a student there yourself. And because they're so amazing, they're completely infallible and would never ever make a mistake. You obviously don't know half the medical students at UCL or any other university. Some of them aren't even sure they want to do medicine; others thing they're too good for the uni and would rather be at oxbridge... and I'm not pulling this out of my ass, I'm saying this because of the medics I know at UCL and Imperial.

2) Who the hell do I think I am? I think I'm someone who tried damn hard to do well in my BMAT after last year and when I did, it turns out that the test actually doesn't matter at all and they'd prefer if you got anything below 5,5,3. And as for the ps, I never claimed mine was amazing but I'd say it was adequate and I woudn't say it was arrogant. And to be honest, I find it incredibly hard to believe that a university would put that much emphasis on something so subjective as a ps.

3) Yeh you're right, I do sound arrogant and bitter... obviously there's no point in that and I'll get over myself eventually. But I think I'm entitled to feel a bit pissed off, at least for a while, at the fact that they rejected me for no clear reason and then didn't even have the decency to tell me that reason when I asked. And because UCL is a magical place, they could never be wrong and if they rejected me, then I sure must deserve it.

I don't think you understand how the world works. There are hundreds of applications to read and most people try to save time. An example: there are people who get into Cambridge and get rejected from Leeds. If you're telling me there's no luck involved and UCL are perfect, you're an idiot.
(edited 13 years ago)
is there anyone else who has been offered an interview for 2012 deffered entry?
Reply 1129
Original post by lightupthesky
what did you get in your bmat

6, 6.2, 3.5a
Original post by Sereni

Original post by Sereni
Got my offer, i almost exploded with relief when i read it. Now, just need to wait for my other decisions before i firm it. Apaz sheffield offers AAB so ideally i will firm UCL and have sheffield as my insurance (interview friday) but whatever.... YES!!! Now i need to study so i get the AAA

What did I tell you? lool so does it feel like a massive weight has been lifted?
Reply 1131

Your academics are impressive but alot of applicants have similar academics. You probably didn't match what they were looking for in your PS amongst other things. Work experience, volunteering, how you reflected on those experiences, your reference, whether you matched the qualities they were looking for etc. Many reasons. Look at your application and look at the list of qualities they were looking for. I'd guess that you didn't show enough in your PS because everything else sounds ok. You need to show alot in that short space. It's not all about your BMAT. It must be frustrating to be rejected with a BMAT score like yours whilst others with lower scores get offers but it's not that massive a part of the application. If you really want to know ask again. But I'd be a touch more polite. Your post doesn't exactly show you in the most modest, rational light.
Reply 1132
Original post by Rever_Singh
What did I tell you? lool so does it feel like a massive weight has been lifted?

Well you know, I did hit the gym today but I wouldn't call it massive... XD oh the bad pun. Actually I got the e-mail when coming out of the gym waiting for me mom.

On a more serious note yes, massive relief. I had been checking my e-mail every 5 minutes, and now I havnt looked since lunch. Ahhhhhhh now I have sheffield friday and then I just need to get the grades...

w000000000000000000000000000000000000000000t

so now Im on my way to being like JD, now all i need is an Elliot :biggrin: (this is the real reason I applied to medicine :smile:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bubbles2010
aww comiserations, i was also rejected pre interview, and know how u feel :frown: and my academics were no where near as gd as urs :frown:

i have a feeling UCL are quite specific about the "type" of PS they liked... a girl i know (with bmat 4.1, 3.8, 3.5A) got an interview a week after bmat results released as her PS was "brilliant" according to UCL. however, she was rejected from Birmingham as they sed her PS didnt show much enthusiasm ect :s-smilie:
??

Original post by lightupthesky
really sorry to hear that. :frown:
do you have any other interviews/offers?

Thank you :smile: Waiting on Barts post-interview and wait-listed for Kings. Hope you hear soon xx

Original post by Scrubby
Your academics are impressive but alot of applicants have similar academics. You probably didn't match what they were looking for in your PS amongst other things. Work experience, volunteering, how you reflected on those experiences, your reference, whether you matched the qualities they were looking for etc. Many reasons. Look at your application and look at the list of qualities they were looking for. I'd guess that you didn't show enough in your PS because everything else sounds ok. You need to show alot in that short space. It's not all about your BMAT. It must be frustrating to be rejected with a BMAT score like yours whilst others with lower scores get offers but it's not that massive a part of the application. If you really want to know ask again. But I'd be a touch more polite. Your post doesn't exactly show you in the most modest, rational light.

Well I wasn't as rude as that when I asked... I was really polite the first time; then I asked a second time more insistently and she told me the same thing. I know my post seems really bitter but it's more frustration than anything else.
Usually I don't argue about stupid things on TSR because there's so much negativity on here anyway but let me just clear a few things up.

1) I find it funny that you act like some father of knowledge, great defender of UCL on here, reprimanding people if they dare to question its ways. And of course you think UCL must be the God of picking out the best, most deserving people to be their medical students... and this obviously has nothing to do with the fact that you're a student there yourself. And because they're so amazing, they're completely infallible and would never ever make a mistake. You obviously don't know half the medical students at UCL or any other university. Some of them aren't even sure they want to do medicine; others thing they're too good for the uni and would rather be at oxbridge... and I'm not pulling this out of my ass, I'm saying this because of the medics I know at UCL and Imperial.

2) Who the hell do I think I am? I think I'm someone who tried damn hard to do well in my BMAT after last year and when I did, it turns out that the test actually doesn't matter at all and they'd prefer if you got anything below 5,5,3. And as for the ps, I never claimed mine was amazing but I'd say it was adequate and I woudn't say it was arrogant. And to be honest, I find it incredibly hard to believe that a university would put that much emphasis on something so subjective as a ps.

3) Yeh you're right, I do sound arrogant and bitter... obviously there's no point in that and I'll get over myself eventually. But I think I'm entitled to feel a bit pissed off, at least for a while, at the fact that they rejected me for no clear reason and then didn't even have the decency to tell me that reason when I asked. And because UCL is a magical place, they could never be wrong and if they rejected me, then I sure must deserve it.

I don't think you understand how the world works. There are hundreds of applications to read and most people try to save time. An example: there are people who get into Cambridge and get rejected from Leeds. If you're telling me there's no luck involved and UCL are perfect, you're an idiot.

Without being rude, there are better candidates than yourself who have been rejected by UCL...
Of course it's understandable that you're really upset and I feel really sorry for you but when you're a medical student/ doctor your life is going to be full of disappointments and you're just have to learn to deal with it.
"I don't think you understand how the world works"... I don't think you do either...Life's not fair in the real world...**** happens sometimes and there's nothing we can do about it!
Good luck with your application though.

1) I question the admission of at least 25% of my year actually. However none of them were as arrogant or self-centered as you so at least if I'd have rejected them it would have been more subtle. :wink: ('ve been here for nearly two years now. Don't question my superiority in terms of admissions because you'll literally get nowhere.

2) You find it hard to believe a university would put a PS as high as a BMAT? trust me, I didn't do as well on the BMAT as I did on the personal statement but I know of a few people who have graduated as great doctors and didn't do particularly well on their admissions tests, neither have the third/fourth years who took the BMAT and didn't do amazingly well on it. Get over yourself.

3) I never said they're a magical place, however they said something was wrong with your application. That must have been your references and PS. I'm sorry, but everyone tried damn hard in their BMAT if they actually wanted a place, if you were rejected with your academic record, there must be a reason.

Dont tell me I don't realise there's a marginal amount of luck involved, because there is a lot of luck.. However, this luck is between the students who outshone the others in terms of academics and PS/References/social lives/interviews. Don't call me an idiot, I know more than you and honestly, I'm trying to help you but you're too damn up yourself to realise, and that is why you didn't get into UCL medical school. Get over yourself and stop calling me an idiot and then I will ****ing help you. OK? Ok!

Oh and by the way, you're telling a 20 year old girl who has been through the death of her blood relative (as in, her own father) and has been through the hardships of exams/family problems/frienship/relationship/financial problems that she doesn't know how the world works? You make me ****ing **** myself laughing. You absolute idiot. This is why you didn't get accepted darling, and I no longer have any sympathy.

You almost make me physically sick in terms of how much I'm glad UCL rejected you.
(edited 13 years ago)
fight fight fight !!!
Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

That was my last offer, so thats it for me with medicine i guess (unless i take a 2nd gap year!!). Of course rejecting an offer last year was "dry" as someone pointed out, but its easy to say things in hindsight and I honestly thought at the time I'd be able to nail down another place. guess I'm paying for my arrogance now..

I'm at a loss to what exactly put them off me twice in a row..maybe Im just awful at personal statements. I'm not in the country at the moment so its difficult calling for advice. I'll be constructive as is possible, obviously words cannot describe how gutted I am but probably no use putting my head through a wall. as someone pointed out the board are the pros, they know what their doing.

;(

This is the impression I get, too. Many people with better academics than I haven't got in, but my personal statement and reference were very good.

You've got to understand, as long as you meet the minimum grades for entry, it doesn't make much difference how far you exceed them (unless you're Oxbridge, who seem to have a perennial hard-on for academics).
Reply 1139
1) I question the admission of at least 25% of my year actually. However none of them were as arrogant or self-centered as you so at least if I'd have rejected them it would have been more subtle. :wink: ('ve been here for nearly two years now. Don't question my superiority in terms of admissions because you'll literally get nowhere.

2) You find it hard to believe a university would put a PS as high as a BMAT? trust me, I didn't do as well on the BMAT as I did on the personal statement but I know of a few people who have graduated as great doctors and didn't do particularly well on their admissions tests, neither have the third/fourth years who took the BMAT and didn't do amazingly well on it. Get over yourself.

3) I never said they're a magical place, however they said something was wrong with your application. That must have been your references and PS. I'm sorry, but everyone tried damn hard in their BMAT if they actually wanted a place, if you were rejected with your academic record, there must be a reason.

Dont tell me I don't realise there's a marginal amount of luck involved, because there is a lot of luck.. However, this luck is between the students who outshone the others in terms of academics and PS/References/social lives/interviews. Don't call me an idiot, I know more than you and honestly, I'm trying to help you but you're too damn up yourself to realise, and that is why you didn't get into UCL medical school. Get over yourself and stop calling me an idiot and then I will ****ing help you. OK? Ok!

Oh and by the way, you're telling a 20 year old girl who has been through the death of her blood relative (as in, her own father) and has been through the hardships of exams/family problems/frienship/relationship/financial problems that she doesn't know how the world works? You make me ****ing **** myself laughing. You absolute idiot. This is why you didn't get accepted darling, and I no longer have any sympathy.

You almost make me physically sick in terms of how much I'm glad UCL rejected you.

PWNAGE! When I originally read his post I tried to be sympathetic because his academics beat mine and I got an offer and he got rejected. However having read some more of his posts I think he must have written something like: 'I am the best and so you should give me a place' In his PS. He is coming across as excessively arrogant and petty and this probably came across in his personal statement, OR his BMAT essay.

LOL I just noticed his screen name XD, arrogant much?

Original post by xy7690*
i do bio there. im finding it a bit dry in comparison to other unis . but this is probably because its my 3rd year

No I meant what do you mean by 'dry' do you mean that its boring? or that its all very routine?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending