The Student Room Group

Cambridge? No thanks, it hasn't got a music scene: What 17-year-old rapper told top u

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wactm

aint terribad but not impressed.

Clearly better at sociology than rap.
Should have applied to Oxford instead, it has a great music scene
Original post by damos92
So they are privy to secret knowledge then?

Are you insinuating that there's graduates out there who know stuff no other person does?

You think all universities teach identical courses? :s-smilie:
What a lad.
Don't believe everything you read in the media. The whole idea of him rejecting Cambridge because of it's music scene is not the only factor in his decision. All in all he preferred the course content as LSE more. Just goes to show the media just jumps on anything and will twist it!
"I didn't want to make a big deal about getting an offer from Cambridge"

:ahee:
Original post by FloydRix

Original post by FloydRix
Why did he apply if it has no music scene?

Scumbag.

You must be a Cambridge reject, I presume?
Reply 147
Cambridge is only worth going to if it's going to further what you want to do. Now, for the majority of people, it will - the academic side and the connections you're going to make when you're there will definitely improve your career/etc. But if you want a music career, there is no point in going to somewhere with no music scene, when you could go to another very prestigious university in a city with a great music scene. There's no point in sacrificing all your life's goals just because it's Cambridge, when LSE isn't exactly much of a step down. Yeah, for most people it would be madness to decline Cambridge, but he's in the small minority where it may actually make sense. (I mean, Brian May left his ICL astrophysics degree to be in Queen, and I don't imagine he lies awake at night crying about that :teehee:)
Reply 148
Original post by Chief Wiggum
You think all universities teach identical courses? :s-smilie:

No, obviously not. I think however that there's no university which teaches stuff which another university doesn't, simple as.
Original post by oli_G
Well I'm pretty involved in my local music scene. I organise gigs, go to loads and play in a band etc.

However, I'd never reject a university place because of its music scene - the guy in the OP's article is ridiculous.

It depends how much you are into music. If you are an avid music fan going to a place like Cambridge will make your non study life worse. It's not like LSE is much of a step down for example.
Reply 150
he rubbish, was really hoping he be good :frown:

But hes still going to one off the top 10 university's so i guess it doesn't really matter that he turned down Cambridge anyway there's no point being somewhere for 3 years where you know you wouldn't enjoy yourself.
I have two points;

1. Does no one else think think this goes a little again the Daily Mail's image? :tongue:

2. I listened to the song and no word of a lie, my headphones don't work anymore :s-smilie:
Original post by damos92
No, obviously not. I think however that there's no university which teaches stuff which another university doesn't, simple as.

Well to be fair, if the courses aren't identical (which you've admitted is true), I'm not sure why you think it's so ludicrous that some universities may go into more detail in certain areas, or teach different topics.
Original post by Forever a Gnome
Why did he even apply if he doesn't want to go there? Seems just like 'ooh, I'll see how many top universities offer me a place, even if I don't want to go there,' which seems a tad unfair. I'm happy for him that he's achieved so much, though.

- If you're going to neg me for this, please at least tell me how I'm wrong; I don't mind being wrong if you actually cared to explain.

He clearly states in the article that Cambridge was his second choice to LSE. So if he didn't get into LSE then he'd go to Cambridge. Everyone has a university that they want to go to, the others are just there because you get more than one choice.

I only applied to 2 universities that I really wanted to go to. The other 3 were filla tbh.
Reply 154
When I applied, I knew I loved Nottingham. If I had've got an offer from Cambridge and an offer from Nottingham, I would've chosen Nottingham beyond a shadow of a doubt. Applying to Oxbridge doesn't automatically mean you HAVE to firm them if you get offered a place.

(I understand that the situation's a bit different for my course - medicine - where university prestige doesn't matter so much, but still: it's LSE, he's hardly going to get a sub-standard education!)
Original post by therealOG
He clearly states in the article that Cambridge was his second choice to LSE. So if he didn't get into LSE then he'd go to Cambridge. Everyone has a university that they want to go to, the others are just there because you get more than one choice.

I only applied to 2 universities that I really wanted to go to. The other 3 were filla tbh.

I've not read the article in a couple of days, sorrry! If he does say that that's fair enough and I'm wrong.
The rest of the article made it seem like (to me) he'd applied to Cambridge just because it was Cambridge, rather than because it was a university he'd actually like to/be happy to go to if he didn't get into his first choice.
I'm not the type to argue that people should accept Oxbridge offers no matter what - if he just likes them both (coursewise or any other reason) but LSE was his preferred uni at the end of the day, that's fine. :rolleyes: I just don't think people should apply to universities they wouldn't be happy to go to (Oxbridge or not).
Hope this actually makes sense, sorry :frown:
Original post by HandsomeLAD
You must be a Cambridge reject, I presume?

Nope haven't made my applications yet.
I don't see what the fuss is about. He didn't have to choose Cambridge just because he got an offer from there. He did apply to 4 other universtities too and chose the one he felt was best for him both academically and socially over the next 3-4 years.

People make these decisions ever year, regardless of which university it is. Like I said, don't know why it's news worthy.
Reply 158
So did he apply and then reject it?
If so why did he even apply if he had reasons not to go there?
Original post by jam.wa
So did he apply and then reject it?
If so why did he even apply if he had reasons not to go there?

Most likely because he was undecided and might not have got into other places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending