The Student Room Group

How competitive is sociology to get into? Please help

Can someone tell me how competitive it is especially at Manchester Uni? Xxx

Scroll to see replies

Bit of a difficult question to answer really.

As a rough guide you need to look at what each University is asking in terms of grades; these are your indicator of entrance difficulty. It's often (maybe always) the case that exactly the same course will ask for different grades at different Unis - grades simply reflect the "popularity" of courses (and also the number of places on offer).

Not sure that's answered your question but have a look at Manchester and see what they're asking.
Reply 2
Original post by Chris.Livesey
Bit of a difficult question to answer really.

As a rough guide you need to look at what each University is asking in terms of grades; these are your indicator of entrance difficulty. It's often (maybe always) the case that exactly the same course will ask for different grades at different Unis - grades simply reflect the "popularity" of courses (and also the number of places on offer).

Not sure that's answered your question but have a look at Manchester and see what they're asking.

thanks for your help and time x
Reply 3
It's popular amongst BBB students, because whilst it's not the most respected degree, a BBB will get you into a top uni for sociology, namely Bristol/Warwick/Manchester/Leeds etc..
Reply 4
Original post by srascal8
It's popular amongst BBB students, because whilst it's not the most respected degree, a BBB will get you into a top uni for sociology, namely Bristol/Warwick/Manchester/Leeds etc..

How isn't it respected? X
Reply 5
It is respected, just not the most open degree, if you get me? Like its quite a specific degree, i.e. will lead you down research/sociologically oriented degree. That's what I meant.
It is respected, just not the most open degree, if you get me? Like its quite a specific degree, i.e. will lead you down research/sociologically oriented degree. That's what I meant.

that's not what you meant, sociology is a mickey mouse degree is what you meant, isn't it?
Reply 7
No, I didn't, I consider film studies/media studies/events management/business studies mickey mouse degrees, sociology has been around for ages. Thus, I don' consider it a 'mickey mouse' degree.
Reply 8

Oh right yh I get you :smile:
Reply 9
No, I didn't, I consider film studies/media studies/events management/business studies mickey mouse degrees, sociology has been around for ages. Thus, I don' consider it a 'mickey mouse' degree.

You sound like a judgemental dick. Hope I never have the displeasure of meeting a stuck up half-wit like yourself when I go to university.

This is simply untrue. BBB won't necessarily get you into Warwick anymore. This year was the last cycle they'd accept BBB, it's AAB now. Leeds and Bristol both want ABB.
Manchester want BBB but they're by no means a 'top uni for sociology', ranked 34th for Sociology by Guardian and Times.

Similarly, meeting minimum requirements for a course doesn't guarantee you a place. For example; last year the entry requirement for Warwick Sociology was BBB, but the average UCAS points of entrants was 410 points. (Equates to roughly AAAb). For Sociology at Manchester University, the entry requirements are BBB (300 points) but 96% of entrants had 320 points or higher. (10% had over 480 points - AAAA at A level!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by screenager2004
This is simply untrue. BBB won't necessarily get you into Warwick anymore. This year was the last cycle they'd accept BBB, it's AAB now. Leeds and Bristol both want ABB.
Manchester want BBB but they're by no means a 'top uni for sociology', ranked 34th for Sociology by Guardian and Times.

Similarly, meeting minimum requirements for a course doesn't guarantee you a place. For example; last year the entry requirement for Warwick Sociology was BBB, but the average UCAS points of entrants was 410 points. (Equates to roughly AAAb). For Sociology at Manchester University, the entry requirements are BBB (300 points) but 96% of entrants had 320 points or higher. (10% had over 480 points - AAAA at A level!)

Yeah, my mistake, Warwick have taken the pi** a bit by going from BBBb to AAB tbh. But yeah, talking of average points, you have to include AS results in that too. so someone with BBB could achieve ABB and a B at AS and an A* in the EPQ = 440 Ucas points, its the total number, all added up. (on average).
Reply 12
Original post by Geosmi
You sound like a judgemental dick. Hope I never have the displeasure of meeting a stuck up half-wit like yourself when I go to university.

LOL. If you met me, you'd realise I'm the complete opposite! I just don't see the value in the degrees I listed, you could just go to an FE college to get qualifications for courses like that, perhaps your an arrogant, retarded git. Sociology is academic, I never said it wasn't, and this thread is about Sociology, so I suggest you shut the f**k up. :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Thanks for all ur help guys
And everyone is entitled to their own opinion so chillll
Reply 14

Similarly, meeting minimum requirements for a course doesn't guarantee you a place. For example; last year the entry requirement for Warwick Sociology was BBB, but the average UCAS points of entrants was 410 points. (Equates to roughly AAAb). For Sociology at Manchester University, the entry requirements are BBB (300 points) but 96% of entrants had 320 points or higher.

(10% had over 480 points - AAAA at A level!)

What are the top unis to study sociology
Also any of youse actually studying it
Reply 15
Original post by pearls

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Sociology

Check that out mate, and sorry for disrupting your thread, but I've been profiled as 'stuck up', and I'm not having any of it, by calling something a mickey mouse degree does not mean I'm 'stuck up', I know people who live in poverty who share exactly the same opinions as me, and I'm not well off in the slightest, good luck mate. From that table, you could do very well at York, their standard offer is BBB.
Original post by pearls

I'm in my third year of Sociology at Warwick.

There are league tables for Sociology here, but remember to take them with a pinch of salt.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-sociology
Reply 17
OP the last thing you should be looking at is league tables to be honest. They are not the best factor to consider when choosing your university choices but it does give you a bit of idea of what the top unis could be.

But all in all, Sociology isn't really the most competitive course out there so if you are predicted something along the lines of AAB/ABB then you should get offers from the top top unis.
Reply 18
I'm in my third year of Sociology at Warwick.

There are league tables for Sociology here, but remember to take them with a pinch of salt.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-sociology

Thanks
Btw what job prospects are you thinking of? Lol
Reply 19

Check that out mate, and sorry for disrupting your thread, but I've been profiled as 'stuck up', and I'm not having any of it, by calling something a mickey mouse degree does not mean I'm 'stuck up', I know people who live in poverty who share exactly the same opinions as me, and I'm not well off in the slightest, good luck mate. From that table, you could do very well at York, their standard offer is BBB.

No no dnt worry
Just Take no notice :wink: thanks for your time n help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending