The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Literature (A) coursework title

I'm studying this course independently from home, and I need to come up with a title question for my coursework for unit 2. I've emailed the AQA English department and they've said they can't give me any suggestions but if I send them my propsed title they'll approve/deny it.

I've chosen the Victorian Literature option as it's the most interesting to me, and I'd like to study 'A woman of no importance' and 'The picture of Dorian Gray' both Oscar Wilde.

Can anyone help me out with a title?! I would be extreeeeemely grateful
Reply 1
Original post by rubyrubyhobo
I'm studying this course independently from home, and I need to come up with a title question for my coursework for unit 2. I've emailed the AQA English department and they've said they can't give me any suggestions but if I send them my propsed title they'll approve/deny it.

I've chosen the Victorian Literature option as it's the most interesting to me, and I'd like to study 'A woman of no importance' and 'The picture of Dorian Gray' both Oscar Wilde.

Can anyone help me out with a title?! I would be extreeeeemely grateful

Well, for the novel (the first piece of coursework), would you like to write a creative piece (rewriting a certain part/alternate ending/etc in the style of the author) or an analytical piece?

And for the second piece of your coursework, are you just going to write about the play, or would you like to connect it to the novel, or indeed a second play?

Choices, choices... :biggrin:

(NOTE: In case you haven't read the books yet, make sure you read the books FIRST! If there's anything that stands out as quite interesting to you, then that's probably a good place to start your coursework.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Beth1234
Well, for the novel (the first piece of coursework), would you like to write a creative piece (rewriting a certain part/alternate ending/etc in the style of the author) or an analytical piece?

And for the second piece of your coursework, are you just going to write about the play, or would you like to connect it to the novel, or indeed a second play?

Choices, choices... :biggrin:

(NOTE: In case you haven't read the books yet, make sure you read the books FIRST! If there's anything that stands out as quite interesting to you, then that's probably a good place to start your coursework.)

Hey, thanks for your reply :smile:
I'd like to do an analytical piece for the novel, but I was a bit confused as to whether it should be about the structure of the book or more about themes etc?
One idea I found quite interesting in regards to Dorian Gray was the homoerotic element.. I'm not sure if that would fit with the specification though?!

As for the play, I really have no idea :confused: though admittedly I haven't actually read that one yet, so I guess as you say it would be a much better idea to read it first and go from there! :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by rubyrubyhobo
Hey, thanks for your reply :smile:
I'd like to do an analytical piece for the novel, but I was a bit confused as to whether it should be about the structure of the book or more about themes etc?
One idea I found quite interesting in regards to Dorian Gray was the homoerotic element.. I'm not sure if that would fit with the specification though?!

As for the play, I really have no idea :confused: though admittedly I haven't actually read that one yet, so I guess as you say it would be a much better idea to read it first and go from there! :redface:

I think homoerotic love would be a nice one to study, especially because you can consider it in the Vicorian context. :smile: I studied how women were presented for one of my pieces, and for the other I studied the decisions that women had to make regarding motherhood.

Your final piece will need to cover all assessment objectives i.e. it needs to cover structure, form and language; themes, characteriation and personal interpretations; context; as well as the omnipresent one - writing well - the most important element of this is to make your answer relevant to the question. So if your coursework title only addresses the structure, you may have difficulty meeting the other AOs. Ideally, you want a title that allows you to form an argument, though this is hardly essential. (e.g. rather than "How is motherhood presented in this novel?", it may be better to have "Explore how motherhood is presented in novel X. How far do you agree with the idea that motherhood is presented as an inescapable trap?")

I haven't read the books, so I don't know if homoerotic love would be too broad or too narrow a theme. You should definitely check with AQA before you start all the hard work!
I'm doing the same course. In my class we read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (prose) and we studied A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (drama). Our question was, "Compare and contrast Ibsen's presentation of characters being constrained by society's expectations with Bronte's presentation of Jane Eyre's struggle to be free of such social constraints."

Our second coursework piece we've just started is either:
- To look at Bronte's presentation of male/female characters in the play, so you could look at how Blanche Ingram is represented (as a bitch, basically!) compared with Jane Eyre

- A creative piece speaking as one of the characters in Jane Eyre.

We've got the option for the second coursework, the first one looks more straight forward but the second might be more fun :P

I'm not sure if that helped you because you mentioned Oscar Wilde but that's what we're doing. We're reading The Importance of being Earnest though for wider reading :smile: Hope it helped x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending