The Student Room Group

UCAS Course Change Following OFFA Fee Revisions

Below are answers to the questions that we submitted to UCAS earlier in the week regarding the OFFA course changes. I'm really sorry for the delay on a reply here. These responses are from the policy team at UCAS rather than the advisers on the phone, so they will be correct and accurate.

If there are any more questions, please do continue to post them and I will do my best to get clarification. These answers are direct copy & pastes from the email I received from the UCAS team, so take it as the official line.

1. If an applicant has already been rejected from a course or withdrew from it before receiving a decision, are they now able to substitute this course for a new one?

Yes, they can, although applicants should remember that if they applied to a university or college which did NOT change its fee arrangements on 2 December 2011, they may only change to one of the institutions that has changed its fees - see this list from OFFA.

If they have applied to a university or college which DID change its fee arrangements on 2 December 2011, applicants may change choice to any institution that uses the UCAS system.

2. Many applicants have noticed that UEA is the only university on the list with a medical school. Can medicine applicants therefore substitute another medicine choice for UEA? Are UEA bound to consider such applications?

Applicants cannot change to courses with an October 15 deadline (all medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine/science courses).

* Do applicants have to submit their choices in exactly the same manner as it is currently listed on their UCAS form? Ie: if they are choosing to switch the university which is currently listed as choice number 2 on their UCAS track, do they enter their new choice into choice number 2 on the OFFA course change form?

No, this isn’t necessary. The important thing is that the applicant states the “to” and “from” choices clearly in the fields provided.

4. If an applicant is only wanting to substitute one of their choices, do they quite literally enter the new choice on the OFFA course change form or do they have to enter all of their other ones too exactly as it is on UCAS track at the moment?

Applicants need only enter the choices they wish to change on the form the unchanged choices not need to be re-entered. It is important to remember that this is not a fully-automated process there are human beings assessing and checking the forms at the other end.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is purely my reading of the information currently on the UCAS website. No guarantees are given that any of this is correct. No guarantees are given that any of this information will not change. No-one should do anything in reliance on anything here without obtaining specific confirmation from UCAS that it works.

Minerva and the other UCAS helpers may wish to come in on these comments.

It seems that anyone who is rejected by any university can have a sixth (or more if they have more than one rejection) choice by de-selecting the university from which they were rejected and making a new choice from the following list by 15th January 2011:-

Anglia Ruskin University Aston University Bradford College Brunel University Canterbury Christ Church University University of Central Lancashire University of Chester University of Chichester University of Cumbria University of East Anglia University of Gloucestershire Harper Adams University College University of Hertfordshire Heythrop College University of Huddersfield Institute of Education Leeds Trinity University College Liverpool John Moores University
London South Bank University
University of Northampton
Nottingham Trent University
Plymouth College of Art
Roehampton University
Ruskin College
Southampton Solent University
Sparsholt College Hampshire
University College St Mark and St John
St Mary's University College
University Campus Suffolk
Teesside University
University of the West of England
University of West London
University of Winchester
University of Wolverhampton
University of Worcester
York St John University

It also seems that anyone with a choice at one of those listed universities can de-select that choice and select any university, whether or not in that list (seemingly including Oxbridge) for equal consideration by 15th January 2011.

One can only de-select and re-select on one occasion and so it would be sensible to do this only once one knows that one has received all likely rejections.

Only applicants who apply by 7th December 2011 will have the right to de-select and re-select and so anyone who has not yet applied to UCAS, whether or not intending to apply to one of the listed universities should apply by 7th December 2011.

Although I have referred to people de-selecting choices from which they were rejected the same is true for someone who has simply changed their mind.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
This is purely my reading of the information currently on the UCAS website. No guarantees are given that any of this is correct. No guarantees are given that any of this information will not change. No-one should do anything in reliance on anything here without obtaining specific confirmation from UCAS that it works.

Minerva and the other UCAS helpers may wish to come in on these comments.

It seems that anyone who is rejected by any university can have a sixth (or more if they have more than one rejection) choice by de-selecting the university from which they were rejected and making a new choice from the following list by 15th January 2011:-

Anglia Ruskin University Aston University Bradford College Brunel University Canterbury Christ Church University University of Central Lancashire University of Chester University of Chichester University of Cumbria University of East Anglia University of Gloucestershire Harper Adams University College University of Hertfordshire Heythrop College University of Huddersfield Institute of Education Leeds Trinity University College Liverpool John Moores University
London South Bank University
University of Northampton
Nottingham Trent University
Plymouth College of Art
Roehampton University
Ruskin College
Southampton Solent University
Sparsholt College Hampshire
University College St Mark and St John
St Mary's University College
University Campus Suffolk
Teesside University
University of the West of England
University of West London
University of Winchester
University of Wolverhampton
University of Worcester
York St John University

It also seems that anyone with a choice at one of those listed universities can de-select that choice and select any university, whether or not in that list (seemingly including Oxbridge) for equal consideration by 15th January 2011.

UEA seems to be the only one of these universities with a medical school. There does not seem to be any reason why anyone cannot de-select a medical school from which they have been rejected and select UEA instead. I think one would still be limited to 4 concurrent medical school applications.

One can only de-select and re-select on one occasion and so it would be sensible to do this only once one knows that one has received all likely rejections.

Only applicants who apply by 7th December 2011 will have the right to de-select and re-select and so anyone who has not yet applied to UCAS, whether or not intending to apply to one of the listed universities should apply by 7th December 2011.

Although I have referred to people de-selecting choices from which they were rejected the same is true for someone who has simply changed their mind.

No. Not for Medical School. Med school apps usually close on 15th October. Most decisions come waaayyy after that. :h:
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
No. Not for Medical School. Med school apps usually close on 15th October. Most decisions come waaayyy after that. :h:

I know medical school applications usually close on 15th October. I know Oxbridge applications usually close on 15th October.

However, there is nothing on the UCAS course change webpage which has gone live today that contains any exception for either Oxbridge or medicine.

now see above

If you have any specific information, rather than guessing, please share it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Nothing about that on UCAS
Reply 5
I have looked everywhere for some kind of condition stating that a choice could not be altered if you had already been rejected but I can't see anything? Surely it can't be the case you get 'extra' choices!?!? I assumed if you put these down on the form they won't do them. Worth a go though?
Reply 7

Cheers, was expecting a bit announcement on the website.
Reply 8
The choices you don't want changed are left completely blank on the form?
I am confused about how to fill out the form. Do I only fill the one choice I want to change and leave the rest blank? Or fill in the first half for all of them and the second one only for the one I want to change?

(if that makes sense?)
Reply 10
Original post by MissBlueskys
I am confused about how to fill out the form. Do I only fill the one choice I want to change and leave the rest blank? Or fill in the first half for all of them and the second one only for the one I want to change?

(if that makes sense?)

I have exactly the same problem. UCAS need to specify.
Reply 11

(if that makes sense?)
My reading of that form is that you only enter the choice you want to change. There are five slots because (theoretically at least) you could change all of your choices.
Reply 12
It also seems that anyone with a choice at one of those listed universities can de-select that choice and select any university, whether or not in that list (seemingly including Oxbridge) for equal consideration by 15th January 2011.Unless all your original choices were on the OFFA list, you would only be able to pick another OFFA list uni. I doubt very much that medical schools (including UEA) or Oxbridge will accept any applications now.

The other points you make do need urgent clarification, so no-one should change anything at this stage.

If anyone does get any further information from UCAS about this, please do post it here.
Original post by Minerva
Unless all your original choices were on the OFFA list, you would only be able to pick another OFFA list uni. I doubt very much that medical schools (including UEA) or Oxbridge will accept any applications now.

The other points you make do need urgent clarification, so no-one should change anything at this stage.

If anyone does get any further information from UCAS about this, please do post it here.

I was thinking that it would just apply to the one I want to change but I would rather having it confirmed/ seeing someone else do it just in case?
Reply 14
I was thinking that it would just apply to the one I want to change but I would rather having it confirmed/ seeing someone else do it just in case?
As it says on the form, your best bet would be to contact UCAS if you aren't sure. I can't see why you would have to put down choices you don't want to change; it doesn't make sense.
Original post by Minerva
Unless all your original choices were on the OFFA list, you would only be able to pick another OFFA list uni.

No that isn't right. From http://www.ucas.com/changechoices

Some of my choices are on OFFA’s list:

Those choices on OFFA’s list can be changed to any university or college in the UCAS system.

I doubt very much that medical schools (including UEA) or Oxbridge will accept any applications now.

At first blush one would think so. However, UCAS isn't a pick and mix system. Universities have to abide by all of UCAS's rules. Unless UCAS builds in an exception for Oxbridge/medicine/traditional Chinese dance, the universities are stuck with the the rules.

Ucas have now built in an exclusion for Oxbridge/medicine-see above

(edited 12 years ago)
I got that email today :biggrin:
Reply 17
No that isn't right. From http://www.ucas.com/changechoices
:o: Yup, misread the middle bit.

At first blush one would think so. However, UCAS isn't a pick and mix system. Universities have to abide by all of UCAS's rules. Unless UCAS builds in an exception for Oxbridge/medicine/traditional Chinese dance, the universities are stuck with the the rules.
Strictly speaking, yes - but all that would happen, in practice, is an immediate rejection and UCAS would be able to do nothing about it.
Original post by Minerva
:o: Yup, misread the middle bit.

Strictly speaking, yes - but all that would happen, in practice, is an immediate rejection and UCAS would be able to do nothing about it.

But what about UCAS's equal consideration rule particularly where people who applied at the "right" time were interviewed?

The issue is perhaps more significant than I indicated.

Assume a candidate originally applied:

Oxford
UCL
Durham
Nottingham
UEA

She is rejected from Oxford post-interview. She receives offers from all of the other four.

On 14th January she decides to change her choices. She decides to swap Oxford for Brunel and UEA for Cambridge.

However, of course the Cambridge offers have already been handed out but nevertheless she is entitled to equal consideration.

Not permissible-see above
(edited 12 years ago)
But what about UCAS's equal consideration rule particularly where people who applied at the "right" time were interviewed?

The issue is perhaps more significant than I indicated.

Assume a candidate originally applied:

Oxford
UCL
Durham
Nottingham
UEA

She is rejected from Oxford post-interview. She receives offers from all of the other four.

On 14th January she decides to change her choices. She decides to swap Oxford for Brunel and UEA for Cambridge.

However, of course the Cambridge offers have already been handed out but nevertheless she is entitled to equal consideration.

But it's equal consideration for people who apply before Jan 15th, except with some courses/universities where the deadline is earlier/later. Medicine/Oxbridge are example of those. Hence anyone who applies AFTER the Oct 15th deadline does NOT deserve equal consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest