The Student Room Group

PC Gaming Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FloydRix
Just got new computer setup.

Nice! How much did that set you back?
Played Arkham City all the way through in one sitting. **** sleep.
Original post by mevidek
Is the XFX AMD Radeon HD 6670 good when it comes to playing new releases, as well as graphic intensive games?

No. :colonhash:
Reply 323
Original post by Darkphilosopher
No. :colonhash:

Yes it is, for people on a budget. a HD 6670 can run any game out there at the moment. Ok not on high settings but drop some GPU intensitive settings and it should run any game out there today.
Reply 324
Original post by mevidek
Is the XFX AMD Radeon HD 6670 good when it comes to playing new releases, as well as graphic intensive games?

Assuming you have a good CPU, the 6670 will get the job done on most games. Just not at resolutions above 1680x1050 and having settings on high etc.
If your a picky person and can't stand games not being run maxed out, then save up.
If your fine with having to turn down some settings and not gaming on a massive resolution then the 6670 will be a good card for you. Even though I would rather spend another 20 quid extra and get the 6770 which will be much better.

However please bare in mind that a good GPU without a good CPU is nothing...
Your better off having a mid range GPU and a good CPU than having the worlds best GPU and a bad CPU...
Reply 325
Original post by Kya
Assuming you have a good CPU, the 6670 will get the job done on most games. Just not at resolutions above 1680x1050 and having settings on high etc.
If your a picky person and can't stand games not being run maxed out, then save up.
If your fine with having to turn down some settings and not gaming on a massive resolution then the 6670 will be a good card for you. Even though I would rather spend another 20 quid extra and get the 6770 which will be much better.

However please bare in mind that a good GPU without a good CPU is nothing...
Your better off having a mid range GPU and a good CPU than having the worlds best GPU and a bad CPU...

I'm guessing the 6770 is much better than the xfx geforce 8600 gts?
Reply 326
Original post by mevidek
I'm guessing the 6770 is much better than the xfx geforce 8600 gts?

Yes! Over twice as good!
Reply 327
Original post by Kya
Yes! Over twice as good!

Then I'll probably get it for Christmas :awesome:

my 8600 gts is beginning to die so I need a change!

THANKS!!!
For any X series fans out there, a new X3 game on the way to bridge the gap between X3: TC and the upcomming X: Rebirth :smile:

If you've never played them then I do recommend them if your in to space games and/or have plenty of time on your hands :wink:
Reply 329
Original post by mevidek
Then I'll probably get it for Christmas :awesome:

my 8600 gts is beginning to die so I need a change!

THANKS!!!

No problem!
the 8600GTS used to be a very good card in its prime!
But now its waaaaaay out dated!
Reply 330
Original post by Kya
No problem!

Yeah, nowadays even an entry level card such as a HD 6450 performs on-par/better than the 8600GTS
Original post by Fenrirs_space
For any X series fans out there, a new X3 game on the way to bridge the gap between X3: TC and the upcomming X: Rebirth :smile:

If you've never played them then I do recommend them if your in to space games and/or have plenty of time on your hands :wink:

Is it like Freelancer? That game is epic.
Original post by Tzarchasm

Kinda...but bigger. First person like freelancer, but you can own whole fleets of ships and command them to do stuff at the same time (rather than the 1 ship at a time of freelancer), you can own factories to set up an empire and so on. They also have a decent enough story, but the main highlight of the game is that its a sandbox, so you can really do anything you like, and totally ignore the story if you want, or jump out halfway through and carry on with your empire building/exploring.

Only problem thats been in the game so far really is that apart from mods you cant really take over and own sectors, although this new addition looks like it may change that :smile:

X3: Terran conflict is the latest one, but X3: Reunion and X2: The threat are both great games as well (havnt tried the earlier ones yet, but they released a. X superbox last year that includes every game in the series so far and extra stuff as well. Owners of that get X3: Albion for free but i think its sold out on amazon atm, steam have it for around £40 (thats for 5 games ))
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 333
Original post by Kya
No problem!

That's odd - I can play most new games on decent settings...
Reply 334

Kinda...but bigger. First person like freelancer, but you can own whole fleets of ships and command them to do stuff at the same time (rather than the 1 ship at a time of freelancer), you can own factories to set up an empire and so on. They also have a decent enough story, but the main highlight of the game is that its a sandbox, so you can really do anything you like, and totally ignore the story if you want, or jump out halfway through and carry on with your empire building/exploring.

Only problem thats been in the game so far really is that apart from mods you cant really take over and own sectors, although this new addition looks like it may change that :smile:

X3: Terran conflict is the latest one, but X3: Rebirth and X2: The threat are both great games as well (havnt tried the earlier ones yet, but they released a. X superbox last year that includes every game in the series so far and extra stuff as well. Owners of that get X3: Albion for free but i think its sold out on amazon atm, steam have it for around £40 (thats for 5 games ))
Reunion. Rebirth isn't out yet :p:
Also, Steam tends to be more expensive than other places unless they've got something reduced. X Superbox can be bought from GamersGate for £30 http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-XSB/x-superbox-bundle

Original post by Tzarchasm
Freelancer's got a more arcadey feel to it. X2: The Threat and X3: Reunion in particular are considerably slower-paced. X3: Terran Conflict is somewhere in between them and Freelancer, but still relatively close to its X-Universe roots.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dalimyr
Reunion. Rebirth isn't out yet :p:
Also, Steam tends to be more expensive than other places unless they've got something reduced. X Superbox can be bought from GamersGate for £30 http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-XSB/x-superbox-bundle

Opps thanks, didnt see that ha :tongue: And yeah steam was just an example, general price i've seen is around £30. Albion I think is going to be around £10, released on Steam next week (for owners of Terran conflict & reg'd on steam), and boxed version released after christmas. Need a new joystick before I get it though (I hate using M+K for these games...too many keys !)
Reply 336
Original post by mevidek

What resolution do you play on?
And it depends what games you play... I'm thinking from a BF3 point of view and 40-50+ constant fps maxed out =)
Reply 337
Original post by Kya
What resolution do you play on?
And it depends what games you play... I'm thinking from a BF3 point of view and 40-50+ constant fps maxed out =)

1024 x 768

Most games work well.
For anyone out there who wants to find out that their gpu is crap:

That's right, new Metro game :biggrin:

Original post by mevidek

...no you can't :redface:
Your resolution will not be HD or even low HD (720), and the games you will play will be very poor console games.
Reply 339
Original post by mevidek
1024 x 768

Most games work well.

That's a low resolution.
You'll be able to max out most "new" games at that res despite the not so high gpu.

Quick Reply

Latest