The Student Room Group

Does anyone else own an exotic pet (reptiles, inverterbrate etc.)?

Hey everyone! I thought I'd make this thread because AFAIK there aren't any other threads about exotic pets on TSR, and I know that there is a pretty active community out there on the internet, so it will be good to speak to people with similar interests. If you own any sort of pet that is a bit different, be it a reptile, amphibian, invertebrate, maybe even an exotic mammal species, post here! Admittedly I'm an invertebrate enthusiast, but I love reptiles too and would love to have some snakes and some more lizards one day.

I personally have three tarantulas, a praying mantis and a crested gecko - I only started the hobby in August last year, but I'm already a bit obsessed. I'd love to get some more reptiles in the future (only problem is they're so damn expensive!) and expand my collection of tarantulas.

I'll kick the thread off with some photos.

Here are some pics of my tarantulas: (arachnophobes beware)

Spoiler

Here is my praying mantis:

Spoiler

This is my crested gecko (contender for cutest animal in the world BTW):

Spoiler

So yeah... tl;dr, talk about exotic pets here! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a leopard gecko. She's a four-year-old female named Zazoo :smile:

Here she is:

Absolutely love your crestie, btw :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by F Ellen
I have a leopard gecko. She's a four-year-old female named Zazoo :smile:

Here she is:

Absolutely love your crestie, btw :smile:

Oh wow she's beautiful. I can't wait for my crestie to be fully grown, it's only a few months old and it's tiny at the minute, this is a picture for size comparison

I'd like to get a leopard gecko, their patterns are so cool (although I like the crests on cresties too) :smile:
Reply 3
I want a chameleon :biggrin: One day!
Reply 4
Original post by Pawsies

One of my friends has a chameleon, they're really not that expensive and hard to find as reptiles go :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by lukas1051
One of my friends has a chameleon, they're really not that expensive and hard to find as reptiles go :smile:

Yeah I want to do it properly, make sure it has proper care and stuff so will save up and research before I do anything.

I just think they're incredible creatures.
I used to live abroad (Malawi) and kept a few reptiles (house snakes, agamas, skinks/geckos, and a chameleon or two). My friend and I would catch them and keep them for a few days before releasing them. :smile:
Looked after a python at school there too! :biggrin:

I've really wanted to get a snake since getting back, but with uni looming and the sheer cost of them in the UK, I've kept putting it off :frown:
Maybe if I rent a place in second year... :wink:

Basically: *watching this thread* :biggrin:

Original post by Pawsies

They're not too hard to keep, and they are so funny to watch! :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by Pawsies
Yeah I want to do it properly, make sure it has proper care and stuff so will save up and research before I do anything.

I just think they're incredible creatures.

Yeah it is important to take good care of them. I think a lot of people don't realise that these sorts of pets are quite readily available though. They are really awesome, especially the camouflage.
Reply 8
Original post by Hearty_Beast
I used to live abroad (Malawi) and kept a few reptiles (house snakes, agamas, skinks/geckos, and a chameleon or two). My friend and I would catch them and keep them for a few days before releasing them. :smile:
Looked after a python at school there too! :biggrin:

I've really wanted to get a snake since getting back, but with uni looming and the sheer cost of them in the UK, I've kept putting it off :frown:
Maybe if I rent a place in second year... :wink:

Basically: *watching this thread* :biggrin:

They're not too hard to keep, and they are so funny to watch! :wink:

Wow that's really cool! Uni is something I have to consider too, I'll be starting in September so I'll probably have to leave them all at home :frown: (I hope my mum can take good care of them) but hopefully in the later years keeping some won't be a problem. The best thing about these sorts of pets is they're not noisy and their don't make a mess!
Wow that's really cool! Uni is something I have to consider too, I'll be starting in September so I'll probably have to leave them all at home :frown: (I hope my mum can take good care of them) but hopefully in the later years keeping some won't be a problem. The best thing about these sorts of pets is they're not noisy and their don't make a mess!

Awesome pets man, mantis looks too badass.

BTW you ever considered shaving your spider?
Reply 10
Original post by HSG1992
Awesome pets man, mantis looks too badass.

BTW you ever considered shaving your spider?

Thanks! The mantis is badass, they're such vicious eaters, I actually have a video of it eating that I took a few months ago:

And no I've never considered shaving my spider :wink: hahaha... I believe their hairs are actually quite important, they use them to sense what's around them. They can kick them off though and be left with a funny looking bald patch.
(edited 12 years ago)
Some day I hope to get a leopard gecko. From what I've seen and heard they're awesome animals!! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Thanks! The mantis is badass, they're such vicious eaters, I actually have a video of it eating that I took a few months ago:

And no I've never considered shaving my spider :wink: hahaha... I believe their hairs are actually quite important, they use them to sense what's around them. They can kick them off though and be left with a funny looking bald patch.

Awr! I love praying mantids too! hehe. Be careful with the cricket though incase it doesn't eat it and the cricket chews the mantid's leg off :frown:

I have also just finished doing a project for a uromastyx enclosure. She was ace. Most docile reptile ever :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Pawsies
Awr! I love praying mantids too! hehe. Be careful with the cricket though incase it doesn't eat it and the cricket chews the mantid's leg off :frown:

I have also just finished doing a project for a uromastyx enclosure. She was ace. Most docile reptile ever :smile:

Yeah I know that, my mantis usually goes for them more or less instantly though (and I take it out if she's not interested).

I'd never even heard of a uromastyx before, I had to google what one was - wow! You mentioned a project, are you involved in some sort of course that studies animals then?
Reply 14
Uni is something I have to consider too, I'll be starting in September so I'll probably have to leave them all at home :frown: (I hope my mum can take good care of them)

that is a really responsible and mature approach to your plan of hoarding even more exotic animals.

I'm trying to find a leech as a pet at the moment, but I don't know where to find one...
Reply 15
Yeah I know that, my mantis usually goes for them more or less instantly though (and I take it out if she's not interested).

I'd never even heard of a uromastyx before, I had to google what one was - wow! You mentioned a project, are you involved in some sort of course that studies animals then?

Yeah I do animal behaviour and training. For my herpetology module I had to design an enclosure for reptile/amphibian and got given uromastyx.
Omfg at the tarantula.

Kill them now!!
Reply 17
Original post by yun
that is a really responsible and mature approach to your plan of hoarding even more exotic animals.

I'm trying to find a leech as a pet at the moment, but I don't know where to find one...

I don't know about hoarding, lots of people keep a large number of these sorts of pets, and it's not like they require a lot of space or food. They're all well cared for, and I know they'll be cared for when I go to university too.

Original post by Pawsies
Yeah I do animal behaviour and training. For my herpetology module I had to design an enclosure for reptile/amphibian and got given uromastyx.

Ah that sounds really cool :smile:

Original post by Miracle Day
Omfg at the tarantula.

Kill them now!!

I'm surprised it took as long as it did for someone to make this comment.
(edited 12 years ago)
does a skunk count as exotic pet :teeth:

:getmecoat: ;_;
I don't know about hoarding, lots of people keep a large number of these sorts of pets, and it's not like they require a lot of space or food. They're all well cared for, and I know they'll be cared for when I go to university too.

Ah that sounds really cool :smile:

I'm surprised it took as long as it did for someone to make this comment.

Omg I hate Spiders. If that was in my house I'd probably burn my house down!

Quick Reply

Latest