The Student Room Group

A grades without resits?

I got a ACC in my AS levels last year (with the A being from a resit). I need a AAB for university. I'm late in being able to resit so is it possible to gain these results without resiting (the CC bit)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Assuming your C is like a mid 65 ums. If you get 95 UMS in A2, you will get an A*. Not possible for you to get an A though.
Reply 2
What do you mean?
I assume they mean that as you're required to get over 90% to get an A overall, this would automatically be an A* due to getting over 90 in A2 modules.
Reply 4
Okay I think I understand. One of the C, I'm aiming for a B, so I'm guessing that will be an easier goal, and the other C I have, I'm aiming for an A, which is supported by 3 pieces of coursework that have been given A grades. Will this improve my chances?

I am also revising every day, that will obviously help me get an A grade
Original post by SPollitt1
Okay I think I understand. One of the C, I'm aiming for a B, so I'm guessing that will be an easier goal, and the other C I have, I'm aiming for an A, which is supported by 3 pieces of coursework that have been given A grades. Will this improve my chances?

I am also revising every day, that will obviously help me get an A grade

In that case yes you can.

Just make sure your current A doesn't fall down!
Reply 6
Original post by milienhaus
I assume they mean that as you're required to get over 90% to get an A overall, this would automatically be an A* due to getting over 90 in A2 modules.

That is only the case if all your other modules average an A grade(80%) from the year before though, you can't get an a* which a c from the year below.

However, let's say OP had 65 Ums last year and managed to get 95 this year, that would put them on exactly 160 which is the boundar your an A (if our of 200) . So it is possible, but I'd say its unlikely that you will do so much better at a2 when in general the work has stepped up from year 12, meaning a lower grade is more likely...

Hope that makes sense!
Reply 7
My teacher told me that, because of the A grade, if I get a B in one of the modules, and do well in my coursework, I could get an A :biggrin:
Original post by Breens345
That is only the case if all your other modules average an A grade(80%) from the year before though, you can't get an a* which a c from the year below.

However, let's say OP had 65 Ums last year and managed to get 95 this year, that would put them on exactly 160 which is the boundar your an A (if our of 200) . So it is possible, but I'd say its unlikely that you will do so much better at a2 when in general the work has stepped up from year 12, meaning a lower grade is more likely...

Hope that makes sense!

You do not need 80% from AS to get an A*. You need 80% of the OVERALL UMS from AS and A2, with 90% average in the A2 exams.
Original post by Azland
Assuming your C is like a mid 65 ums. If you get 95 UMS in A2, you will get an A*. Not possible for you to get an A though.

But isn't it a balance of As and A2, so even if op does get 90% this year they would not get an A* overall :confused:
Reply 10
It is possible, but will be difficult since you only got a C in the easy part of the course. Unless you change something you haven't got a chance.
Reply 11
But if I revise a lot?
Reply 12
add up your UMS (on your final AS results slip) and take that away from 480. This is what you need to get in your A2 (out of 300 possible) for an A.

If that looks feasible as a percentage, don't resit :smile:
Original post by Forget that
But isn't it a balance of As and A2, so even if op does get 90% this year they would not get an A* overall :confused:

Well if he got 66 percent of the ums last year and 96 this that would average as 81 percent overall. So yes you couldn't go from an E to a A* because it wouldn't balance out at eighty percent overall...but it is possible with a C :wink:
Reply 14
But if I revise a lot?

You need to do more than just revise. Look at where you went wrong last year. Did you revise the wrong things? Was the way you worked wrong? Did you just not revise at all? You can get the grades but not by doing the same thing you did last year.
But if I revise a lot?

Realistically, you won't go from a C to an A; I think your university offer is too high for you to meet. Do you have an insurance choice with more realistic grades?

If you were resitting some exams from AS then you'd have a shot at an A, why didn't you resit any? You had 2 chances to enter for resits in November and March. It just seems that you're not that serious about your A-levels if you don't know how much UMS you need to get an A and that you've left it too late to resit anything.
Reply 16
Original post by Forget that

It's a balance. 95+65 / 2 = 80 ( A ). He also satisfys the A* requirement of 90% in A2 modules. so yes, he will get it in the right conditions.
Original post by poison.
add up your UMS (on your final AS results slip) and take that away from 480. This is what you need to get in your A2 (out of 300 possible) for an A.

If that looks feasible as a percentage, don't resit :smile:

For all my A-levels it's 320 out of 400 for an A...
Original post by xfirekittyx
For all my A-levels it's 320 out of 400 for an A...

Maths, science and music are out of 600, making 480 an A.
Original post by Flyteryder
Maths, science and music are out of 600, making 480 an A.

Ok but OP didn't specify what A-levels he was doing, therefore it seemed a bit strange to give the formula out of 480.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest