The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LaughingBro
You mean they can get it for free?! It cost like £22!!! :angry:

Really? Mine's entirely free of charge, in fact on the prescription note there's a box you can tick saying the patient doesn't have to pay because they've been prescribed free-of-charge contraceptives :confused:
I'd rather see 13 year old girls getting the pill than 13 year old girls getting abortions.
I first had the pill at 14 to control my periods for a holiday, then again at 15 and 16 in the summer holidays to control my periods (heavy and horrible) then from my AS Level summer (age 17) I went on it permanently for periods, not for contraceptive purposes.
Original post by The Baron
Why the hell not. It is better than having pergnant 13 year olds who would go on to be Jeremy Kyle fodder

You honestly believe 13 y/o girls are reliable with contraception?

Women in theirs 20/30/40s aren't reliable when it comes to contraceptive unless its an implant so the chances are of these pills reducing pregnant pramfaces is next to 0.

Also, the STD/STI epidemic is going to be rife amongst boys and girls this age and above, far more so than the older age groups.
Reply 124
Condoms definitely, but not the pill. I just wouldn't trust them to take it responsibly. At my secondary school, with 900 pupils, there were 8 girls that had a baby just in my final year. At least 6 of them were supposedly on the pill. One of them wanted a baby and so stopped taking it without her boyfriend realising. It's this immaturity that makes me think that condoms are better for people so young, because then at least both parties can be sure that they are using contraception.
Reply 125
I'm on the pill and it seems to work for me but I have a niece who is going to be 12 this year, I don't think by next year she would be ready to be sexually active, she is still a child.

Ultimately it's the individual's choice and they will make it whether we want them to or not. If they are going to be sexually active as much as the idea disgusts me at least they should be having safe sex and a girl is far more responsible than boys of that age.
Original post by Jimbo1234

Oh, so you think it is perfectly normal and fine for 13 year olds to sleep about? :rolleyes: Because that is not physically or mentally dangerous and is not hiding from the real problem - why the hell are 13 year olds having sex?!

No, I don't. It's pretty obvious you're a troll because you're just twisting words and I've seen you around before.

Your straw manning is boring and your logical fallacies are too obvious. Try harder, maybe learn how to debate and then you might be interesting.
Original post by RollerBall
No, I don't. It's pretty obvious you're a troll because you're just twisting words and I've seen you around before.

Your straw manning is boring and your logical fallacies are too obvious. Try harder, maybe learn how to debate and then you might be interesting.

Oh look, you avoid the question and resorted to an ad hominem argument. How original!
So? Do you think that the govt is advocating under-age sex or not dealing with the real issue?

Original post by The Baron
Let me break it down for you doctor cox style princess. Teenagers have sex. Welcome to the real world. I'm not saying its right but it happens. Nothing can be done to stop it, we have seen abstinence based sex ed is a complete joke and doesn't work.

When I have kids I will be educating them about contraception so they at least don't regret their decision to have sex for the rest of their lives. Tell me how it goes when you have your kids and are a grandparent before they even hit 16/ have to endure them going through an abortion.

.....I would barely call a 13 year old a teenager. You are implying that a 19 year old student has things in common with a 13 year old by lumping them into the same group. How ridiculous :giggle:

Oh, nothing can be done to stop it? Well then why is it not a problem in every country? :confused: Because clearly something is wrong with this country and can be solved, but yet again the govt take the easy and most damaging option.

When I have kids, I'll make sure they are brought up with morals and standards so they don't put out at 16 like some cheap village bike.
Oh look, you avoid the question and resorted to an ad hominem argument. How original!
So? Do you think that the govt is advocating under-age sex or not dealing with the real issue?

I don't think they're doing either. I really don't think you understand just how complicated an issue this actually is. You can't just tell a 13 year old not to do something and expect them not to do it no matter how well you explain it. There is always going to be kids that will have sex.

Do I think they should be able to buy the pill OTC? No. Do I think they should have access to it after a consultation with a doctor/pharmacist/medical professional? Yes. If somebody who is used to patients and is experienced in dealing with patients expectations (and is fully aware of the consequences of their choices) can't convince them otherwise then it's going to happen regardless.

The difference is if they're going to do it then it's better they're educated in the best way possible. Do you advocate teaching absitence is the only contraception like some of the more backward states in America?

If a teenager approaches you (as a medic) to get the pill of course you're going to talk to them seriously and explain the risks. If they're set after that consultation on having sex then there is very little you can do about it, you need to treat them as adults if you want them to make adult decisions. One of the most important aspects of that is allowing them to make informed decisions about they're own life. If they've made their decision and your attempts to change their minds don't work then why on earth would you refuse them something to make their decision safer?

It's like somebody saying they're going to skydive but you refusing to give them a reserve shoot because you don't agree with what they're doing.
Original post by Clare~Bear
What nonsense. You're implying that anyone who got pregnant under 22 would be forced to have an abortion which is traumatising and can lead to all kinds of complications. How old are you?

18, and I cannot see how anyone giving birth at my age or younger is giving their child a better life than if they had them when they were 25+.

young mothers are far more likely to split up with the fathers. Boys who have no contact with their fathers are so much more likely to be messed up.......

I'm not saying there aren't accept ions, just that everyone would be a better parent when they are older. To me that is reason enough reason to use every possible method to not have children at a young age, in the knowledge that life will be (probably) for you and the rest of the world if you wait however many years. Postponing the child so it has a better life.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't think they're doing either. I really don't think you understand just how complicated an issue this actually is. You can't just tell a 13 year old not to do something and expect them not to do it no matter how well you explain it. There is always going to be kids that will have sex.

Do I think they should be able to buy the pill OTC? No. Do I think they should have access to it after a consultation with a doctor/pharmacist/medical professional? Yes. If somebody who is used to patients and is experienced in dealing with patients expectations (and is fully aware of the consequences of their choices) can't convince them otherwise then it's going to happen regardless.

The difference is if they're going to do it then it's better they're educated in the best way possible. Do you advocate teaching absitence is the only contraception like some of the more backward states in America?

If a teenager approaches you (as a medic) to get the pill of course you're going to talk to them seriously and explain the risks. If they're set after that consultation on having sex then there is very little you can do about it, you need to treat them as adults if you want them to make adult decisions. One of the most important aspects of that is allowing them to make informed decisions about they're own life. If they've made their decision and your attempts to change their minds don't work then why on earth would you refuse them something to make their decision safer?

It's like somebody saying they're going to skydive but you refusing to give them a reserve shoot because you don't agree with what they're doing.

You can tell a 13 year old not to do something and they will listen........if their parents have been good parents and this is the problem. Frankly if they become pregnant under 16 they should be forced to have an abortion and either a fine or prison. These kids need to learn that their actions have consequences and to not mess about but to listen to their elders.
Or just reduce the ability to get state welfare. Many slags have kids knowing that the state will care for them. If however, they new that their life was going to hit a new low, they would think twice.

One of the most important aspects of that is allowing them to make informed decisions about they're own life

What the hell?! They are 13. They are still kids and some still need to be told exactly what to do. When they are older, sure, let them learn for themselves, but at 13 they are too young to make such a decision.
You can tell a 13 year old not to do something and they will listen........if their parents have been good parents and this is the problem. Frankly if they become pregnant under 16 they should be forced to have an abortion and either a fine or prison. These kids need to learn that their actions have consequences and to not mess about but to listen to their elders.
Or just reduce the ability to get state welfare. Many slags have kids knowing that the state will care for them. If however, they new that their life was going to hit a new low, they would think twice.

What the hell?! They are 13. They are still kids and some still need to be told exactly what to do. When they are older, sure, let them learn for themselves, but at 13 they are too young to make such a decision.

Your first idea about forced abortions and barbaric and idioitic, if you want to advocate such fascist ideas stay the **** away from the health system. I really don't think you understand people. People will always break the law, people will always do things they shouldn't. If we can minimize the impact and the potentially life altering consequences then why wouldn't we? Are you also against posters warning that if people leave their stuff lying about it could get stolen? I mean, surely we should just "make" people not steal by telling them they'll go to prison rather than educate people about the risks, right?

Wrt informed treatment, go look up the idea of gillick competence. Perhaps when you're a bit more educated you can make a more informed decision. For now you're just coming across a mixture of niave and ignorant.
Girls take the pill for other reasons than contraceptive, you know...
If a 13 year-old wants to have sex at 13, the lack of availability of the pill is not going to stop her. So yes, it should be available for anyone who wants it.
Your first idea about forced abortions and barbaric and idioitic, if you want to advocate such fascist ideas stay the **** away from the health system. I really don't think you understand people. People will always break the law, people will always do things they shouldn't. If we can minimize the impact and the potentially life altering consequences then why wouldn't we? Are you also against posters warning that if people leave their stuff lying about it could get stolen? I mean, surely we should just "make" people not steal by telling them they'll go to prison rather than educate people about the risks, right?

Wrt informed treatment, go look up the idea of gillick competence. Perhaps when you're a bit more educated you can make a more informed decision. For now you're just coming across a mixture of niave and ignorant.

No, some people have always broken the law and clearly our current system does not work. Minimising the impact is removing all responsibility from the persons actions. Why not be an utter whore and ignore all responsibilities if the State will solve all your problems?

What the hell does gillick competence have to do with this? We are talking about 13 year old children and you claiming that 13 years olds have the experience and wisdom to make rational decisions :giggle:

Original post by Ice_Queen
If a 13 year-old wants to have sex at 13, the lack of availability of the pill is not going to stop her. So yes, it should be available for anyone who wants it.

Rubbish. They should learn to keep their legs shut, but more importantly, what 13 year old wants to sleep about?
What the hell is with this country wanting to protect people from their mistakes and dealing with consequences?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
It's addressing the reality that a law which is impossible to enforce all the time is already being broken. Not many people are going to have sex because the pill's available. They're already flouting the law and our priority should be preventing pregnancy, not being all morally absolutist because unfortunately that just doesn't work.

I totally see both sides of the story. I agree that giving contraceptive pill to 13 year olds won't necessarily mean a massive break down and more girls having underage sex but it is a possibility. I find the choice of contraceptive not very appropriate for this age group because the taking of it has to be consistent at the same time and should be taken again if an individual regurgitates. Taking this into account, I don't think that all young girls at 13 who would choose to take the pill should it be available, would be mature or responsible enough for it to work efficiently.

Other than that, of course preventing young pregnancy is important and it is worth looking at prevention and not cure but maybe just extending the availability of condoms or the implant would be more efficient?
(edited 12 years ago)

Rubbish. They should learn to keep their legs shut, but more importantly, what 13 year old wants to sleep about?
What the hell is with this country wanting to protect people from their mistakes and dealing with consequences?

Well yes, I agree they should. And if they don't want to sleep about, they won't be needing the pill then :p: It is a safeguard for those who do.

And a thirteen year old with a kid? It's not just going to be her that takes the consequences.
Well yes, I agree they should. And if they don't want to sleep about, they won't be needing the pill then :p: It is a safeguard for those who do.

And a thirteen year old with a kid? It's not just going to be her that takes the consequences.

I think why the UK is ****ed up is because of all the safeguards in place. Giving out the pill is condoning that type of behaviour. Let people burn for sticking their hand in the fire. Let the stupid 13 year old get pregnant and then either give the kid up for adoption or starve to death.
I think why the UK is ****ed up is because of all the safeguards in place. Giving out the pill is condoning that type of behaviour. Let people burn for sticking their hand in the fire. Let the stupid 13 year old get pregnant and then either give the kid up for adoption or starve to death.

So you may well be condemning the kid to a life of starvation? A mother's love for a child is unimaginable for anyone who doesn't have kids or men. It's not that easy to give up a child, and to let someone as innocent as a newborn starve is not at all fair.

It is not the job of the government to condone or not condone behaviour like this. It is not harming anyone.
So you may well be condemning the kid to a life of starvation? A mother's love for a child is unimaginable for anyone who doesn't have kids or men. It's not that easy to give up a child, and to let someone as innocent as a newborn starve is not at all fair.

It is not the job of the government to condone or not condone behaviour like this. It is not harming anyone.

Ha, if only the world was as you say it is.
Trust me, many of these skanks don't give a **** about their child. I have seen these slags neglect their children because they honestly don't care.

And what the **** do you mean it is not harming anyone?!
The girl suffers a massive concoction of chemicals she is in no way emotionally ready for and becomes a train wreck, and being preganat at that age could kill her.
But of course the real solution to this problem lies within the girls home and what the hell her parents, or most likely, parent is doing to force a child to go out and have sex.

In my perfect world, you could only have children if you have a license and anyone breaking this law would be made sterile.

Latest

Trending

Trending