The Student Room Group

Which A-level exam board do you hate and why?

Poll

Which exam board do you hate the most?

??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All of them
OCR is a son of a bitch when it comes to Sciences.

The exam is meant to consist of 3 modules, as evenly as possible. No, 80% of the Biology exam focused on ****ing evolution. Suck my nuts OCR.
Edexcel has this ridiculous word limit on foreign languages. How on hell are you supposed to write a literature essay between 180 and 200 words, anyway?

Aqa seems to be copying Edexcel in terms of Maths. I've seen Edexcel type questions on the real exam :O

Ocr GCSE geography was mainly about how fast you can write and writing a proposal on the spot. I think that the latter exam was just pointless tbh.
Reply 4
OCR. I do triple science GCSE with them, and their resources are rubbish! The teachers resources have spelling mistakes in (including keywords spelt wrong), and the text books have rather a lot of information that we don't need and a severe lack of the information we actually need.
AQA, their Maths qualifications are far too easy. OCR comes a close second for the existence of Advancing Physics.
welsh board WJEC messed up my exam mark and my coursework mark so I went from an A to just under a B
Reply 7
I don't like OCR. Their maths exams are not very well made in terms of timings - sometimes you do a paper that's supposed to be 1hr 30 and it only taken one hour and other times it can take a lot longer. At least that's the impression I got from doing past papers, but perhaps I'm just bad at Maths.
Reply 8
OCR, due to the existence of both their Advancing Physics and Salters Chemistry specs

Edexcel, due to the fact that they don't know the difference between photocopies and the actual bloody exam paper
Original post by JulietheCat
Edexcel has this ridiculous word limit on foreign languages. How on hell are you supposed to write a literature essay between 180 and 200 words, anyway?

Aqa seems to be copying Edexcel in terms of Maths. I've seen Edexcel type questions on the real exam :O

Ocr GCSE geography was mainly about how fast you can write and writing a proposal on the spot. I think that the latter exam was just pointless tbh.

:lol: Really?
Never had a problem with Edexcel really, OCR however...
Reply 11
AQA because it is HARD
Original post by hannah60000
:lol: Really?

Yeah like the f(|x|) that I've seen in aqa C3. The only place where I saw it before is Edexcel papers. They also took a Solomon paper question and put it in C4, though a slightly different equation but the amount of marks and wording was exactly the same. I was lucky to have done such a similar question - my classmates couldn't handle it though. :frown:

Aqa are complete copycats...
Original post by JulietheCat
Yeah like the f(|x|) that I've seen in aqa C3. The only place where I saw it before is Edexcel papers. They also took a Solomon paper question and put it in C4, though a slightly different equation but the amount of marks and wording was exactly the same. I was lucky to have done such a similar question - my classmates couldn't handle it though. :frown:

Aqa are complete copycats...

Ha even Solomon papers, I always though Edexcel was the superior paper compared to AQA anyways (but I may be bias :tongue:)

Must be annoying for your classmates such is life, I personally lost faith in AQA for essay subjects after a remark fiasco :angry:
Reply 14
OCR. No logic, they just feel really weird to me.
OCR - because of their habit of putting completely pointless questions in their psychology core papers, that in no way determines a person's intelligence e.g. "What were the names of the TWO pygmy chimpanzees studied?" Very helpful... :facepalm:
(edited 11 years ago)
I quite like OCR for Physics.
WJEC for Biology is shockingly bad

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5360
Reply 17
Which is the hardest for science, and why?
Aqa for biology because the mark scheme is stupidly specific.

Edexcel chemistry for it's long, waffly questions where you have to keep turning back pages to check what you're doing. But generally edexcel chem is good.
Reply 19
OCR - apparently "all my alleles" receives the full 2 marks for the definition of genotype whereas "combination of alleles" only gives you 1 mark. The marks schemes are ridiculous and even if you understand a topic, you only gain the marks if you use some very specific key words (even if you have no idea what they mean) or make some ridiculous comment. Not impressed.

Quick Reply

Latest