The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2013 entry

hi Guys,
This thread is for everyone who is planning to apply for an A&F course for 2013 entry. I found the thread for 2012 entry very helpful so I thought... Why not make one for next year.

GCSEs: A*BCCC
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): Maths A, Accounting A, Business Studies A, Economics C, Dutch A
Subjects you're taking on to A2: Maths, Accounting, Business Studies and Dutch
Universities likely to apply to: Bristol, Lancaster, Southampton, Kent and Oxford Brookes
Additional Info.: I moved from Holland to the UK in 2009 (year 11 for me) that is the main reason my GCSEs are so poor.

Can anyone tell me what my chances are...? Would the reason for my poor GCSEs fall under ''extenuating circumstances''...?

Good luck everyone!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They're not poor GCSEs results by any stretch of the imagination... They're all a C or above, which is considered a good pass (as any grade is technically considered a pass).

As for what we've been told about applying for uni, they tend to not focus as much on GCSE results and focus more on AS results and predicted A2 grades :smile:
Reply 2
You need to meet a university's general minimum entrance requirements, which generally are grade C maths and english. Individual courses then usually have their own gcse requirements, for A&F most would be grade B maths.

For A Levels for A&F a lot of courses wont care what subject, just provided you meet the minimum a level requirements (youre looking at AAB + for the top end universities). If you want a more mathsy/financy degree, look at maybe Economics & Finance, or Financial Maths. But for those you'll need typically AAA-AAB depending on whether you have A Level Maths or further maths (depending on course)
Original post by Gigaunit
I would e-mail the University. Most unis for A&F don't care as long as you have a B in GCSE Maths and A-Levels entry requirements.

ooh okay. can I email them now or should I wait till September. Which university do you go to now...?

Original post by eimmas
They're not poor GCSEs results by any stretch of the imagination... They're all a C or above, which is considered a good pass (as any grade is technically considered a pass).

As for what we've been told about applying for uni, they tend to not focus as much on GCSE results and focus more on AS results and predicted A2 grades :smile:

I really hope so. it would be really disappointing if I get rejected because of my GCSEs. What do you think of school leaver programmes as an alternative to university

Original post by orionmoo
You need to meet a university's general minimum entrance requirements, which generally are grade C maths and english. Individual courses then usually have their own gcse requirements, for A&F most would be grade B maths.

For A Levels for A&F a lot of courses wont care what subject, just provided you meet the minimum a level requirements (youre looking at AAB + for the top end universities). If you want a more mathsy/financy degree, look at maybe Economics & Finance, or Financial Maths. But for those you'll need typically AAA-AAB depending on whether you have A Level Maths or further maths (depending on course)

Thanks. I have also looked at degrees in Financial Maths but most of the good universities tend to ask for further maths. What if I take AS further maths next year, would that be a smart thing to do in order to increase my chances...?
Reply 4
Original post by lmartynofficial
ooh okay. can I email them now or should I wait till September. Which university do you go to now...?

I really hope so. it would be really disappointing if I get rejected because of my GCSEs. What do you think of school leaver programmes as an alternative to university

Thanks. I have also looked at degrees in Financial Maths but most of the good universities tend to ask for further maths. What if I take AS further maths next year, would that be a smart thing to do in order to increase my chances...?

Not all ask for Further Maths, some just give you a lower conditional offer if you do have it, others may interview you too if you don't have it.

Take up AS F. Maths provided it does not have a negative impact on your main three A Levels - at the end of the day offers are made on your best 3 A Levels, so don't do anything that may pull them down.

However taking up the extra AS could be the difference between getting an offer and not at a top-end uni, or if you've slipped a grade come results day the difference between getting a place and not.
Original post by Gigaunit
Depends, A levels are more important and solid grades will be valued 10x more than GCSEs. So if you know you can accomplish your predicted grades I wouldn't even bother.

But if you're in the slightest doubt, they get sent this kinds of questions daily (I've seen them at the Oxford Q&A service). So asking wouldn't hurt either.

I am not going to any university right now, only researching like you. My answer was based on info from the websites of some universities.

And I am currently looking at LSE, Wharton and Sloan for Finance.

yeah, I'm probably just worrying too much. Wharton and Sloan are both in America aren't they..? Why are you considering american universities when there are so many good unis in the UK
I wanna do A&F as well, but don't know what uni is best. I'm thinking about going to UEA, Bournemouth or something. I probably prefer Bournemouth cause they do a work placement for a year.

My predicted grades:
A German
B Economics
B Business
C Sociology

That's 240 ucas points at AS
If I keep those grades up at A2 level it will equal about 400 ucas points at A2 :smug:

I'm well confused :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
A&F applicant here!

GCSEs: AAAABBBBBB (A in Maths and English Language)
Predicted Grades: Economics A, History A, Psychology A, Biology B
A2 subjects: definitely Economics and History. Biology if i get an A at AS, Psychology if not.
Universities likely to apply to: Durham, Exeter, Lancaster, Loughborough, Nottingham

Last years' thread looked active hope this years' is too!
Reply 8
Good luck everyone - hope you all know what your getting yourselves in for..:biggrin:

P.S Have a look at Newcastle's course, when i applied 3 years ago to them they offered a course with a PwC placement in the 3rd year paying £19,000 - which pays for your student fees (or it did back when i started).

Birminghams A&F course is brilliant as well, very well respected lecturers on the course. Some of the books you will use throughout your course are written by a lot of the lecturers who teach int he birmingham business school.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mattalis
Good luck everyone - hope you all know what your getting yourselves in for..:biggrin:

P.S Have a look at Newcastle's course, when i applied 3 years ago to them they offered a course with a PwC placement in the 3rd year paying £19,000 - which pays for your student fees (or it did back when i started).

Birminghams A&F course is brilliant as well, very well respected lecturers on the course. Some of the books you will use throughout your course are written by a lot of the lecturers who teach int he birmingham business school.

May I please ask what you mean by this? :P
Original post by Derrick1509
I wanna do A&F as well, but don't know what uni is best. I'm thinking about going to UEA, Bournemouth or something. I probably prefer Bournemouth cause they do a work placement for a year.

My predicted grades:
A German
B Economics
B Business
C Sociology

That's 240 ucas points at AS
If I keep those grades up at A2 level it will equal about 400 ucas points at A2 :smug:

I'm well confused :confused:

What are you confused about...? ABBC at AS level is 200 UCAS points isn't it..? :smile:

Original post by zachyg
A&F applicant here!

GCSEs: AAAABBBBBB (A in Maths and English Language)
Predicted Grades: Economics A, History A, Psychology A, Biology B
A2 subjects: definitely Economics and History. Biology if i get an A at AS, Psychology if not.
Universities likely to apply to: Durham, Exeter, Lancaster, Loughborough, Nottingham

Last years' thread looked active hope this years' is too!

Good university choices!! I was thinking of Durham as well till I heard that only one group of students has actually graduated from their A+F course as it is a new degree there. Do they offer a placement year...?

It's now called the pwc degree or something like that and it's incredibly hard to get on. It is a real good opportunity that I would have grabbed with both hands if it wasn't so d*amn competitive. what do you think of school leaver programmes as opposed to the traditional degree route into accountancy...?
And what books/videos would you recommend for preliminary reading..?
Original post by lmartynofficial

Good university choices!! I was thinking of Durham as well till I heard that only one group of students has actually graduated from their A+F course as it is a new degree there. Do they offer a placement year...?

I'm pretty sure they do, yes :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by zachyg
May I please ask what you mean by this? :P

Its not a walk in the park, its an extremely intensive course and if you are looking to do a university course that has 4 hours lectures a week you have picked the wrong one! :biggrin:

Minimum was 14 hours for me in first year which quickly rose up to about 20 hours including classes/seminars
Reply 13

It's now called the pwc degree or something like that and it's incredibly hard to get on. It is a real good opportunity that I would have grabbed with both hands if it wasn't so d*amn competitive. what do you think of school leaver programmes as opposed to the traditional degree route into accountancy...?
And what books/videos would you recommend for preliminary reading..?

I know it is extremely hard to get on, i got to the interview stage where i got grilled by a PwC partner. I went down for a 2 day interview in newcastle where i had to take part in a 1 on 1 interview, a group exercise and many other things. In the end i ended up passing the interview with flying colours but the group work not so much - i sat back a bit in that - i got offered the place on the course without the placement, so i chose birmingham as it was closer to home and a better course than Newcastles.
Does anyone know if Deloitte school leavers programme is anygood? :confused:
Its not a walk in the park, its an extremely intensive course and if you are looking to do a university course that has 4 hours lectures a week you have picked the wrong one! :biggrin:

Minimum was 14 hours for me in first year which quickly rose up to about 20 hours including classes/seminars

Ah i see! i'm not expecting it to be easy, that's for sure
Original post by FA_Professional
Does anyone know if Deloitte school leavers programme is anygood? :confused:

I signed up for a buddy at Deloitte and she said that it's a pretty good, difficult and rewarding programme. I guess the school leaver programmes from the top 4-6 accounting firms are good. Have you started the application process yet...?
(edited 11 years ago)
Any top unis happy for a C in GCSE Maths? I know Liverpool accept, but has anyone else got some top unis that will accept?

If not, I may retake and get a B
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
Any top unis happy for a C in GCSE Maths? I know Liverpool accept, but has anyone else got some top unis that will accept?

If not, I may retake and get a B

what year are you in now if you don't mind me asking...? I think most universities in the top 20 ask for a B in GCSE maths if not taken at A-level... so my advice will be to look at universities from the top 20 downwards. Good luck
Year 13, but I'm looking for a back up plan if I miss my grades this year. If I do miss them, I'd probably retake GCSE Maths. Shouldn't be too hard to get A/B, I was never entered for higher tier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending