The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

BSc Finance at Durham University

Hi,
I have come across undergrad Finance at Durham University which is only asking for AAB... considering it's a top uni why are the entry requirements so low? Is there a catch?
Don't worry about that, if you like the uni then pick it. Btw I think you need a 7 in maths GCSE.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I have come across undergrad Finance at Durham University which is only asking for AAB... considering it's a top uni why are the entry requirements so low? Is there a catch?

It is probably not popular hence the reduction in requirements. I suggest you submit an application. Good luck
Reply 3
Don't worry about that, if you like the uni then pick it. Btw I think you need a 7 in maths GCSE.

From their website - 'A strong proficiency in Mathematics is required. If not taken as an A level, a grade 7 (or grade A) in Mathematics at GCSE is required'
I got a 6 in GCSEs but I'm predicted A in a level so its alright ig
Reply 4
Original post by Wired_1800
It is probably not popular hence the reduction in requirements. I suggest you submit an application. Good luck

are you sure? I feel like its a bit weird having such low requirements from top unis
do u know anything about the careers prospect?
are you sure? I feel like its a bit weird having such low requirements from top unis
do u know anything about the careers prospect?

I dont know the career prospects for the course. Some top unis have lower requirements for some subjects. For example, some Cambridge courses have A*A*A* while others have A*AA.
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
I dont know the career prospects for the course. Some top unis have lower requirements for some subjects. For example, some Cambridge courses have A*A*A* while others have A*AA.

A*AA is still high tho ... is Durham good in terms of finance?
A*AA is still high tho ... is Durham good in terms of finance?

Durham is in the top 30 for accounting & finance.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2020/sep/05/best-uk-universities-for-accounting-finance-league-table
Reply 8
Hi,

I applied for this course and had A*A*A predicted grades. I got rejected yesterday for personal statemnt I doubt that the course is not competitive
Hi,

Durham is great for Finance, and in terms of placements, specifically IB, it does really well. The reason why the requirements are lower is that it is a relatively new program compared to courses such as Econ and PPE. And to be fair uni's such as LSE also have courses at AAB (Economic History even though it is really competitive).
Original post by dah22
I applied for this course and had A*A*A predicted grades. I got rejected yesterday for personal statemnt I doubt that the course is not competitive

Sorry to hear that, but honestly it's not really your fault, the number of applicants that took a gap year (deferred entry) from last year as a result of inflated grades is very high. Most tops unis this year have faced that dilemma.
Reply 11
Sorry to hear that, but honestly it's not really your fault, the number of applicants that took a gap year (deferred entry) from last year as a result of inflated grades is very high. Most tops unis this year have faced that dilemma.

Thank you mate I was pretty depressed to get that rejection as I thought I had a good chance and I wasn’t sure how competitive the course was but I’m thinking of trying to get into Warwick through clearing for engineering/chemistry now instead
Original post by dah22
Thank you mate I was pretty depressed to get that rejection as I thought I had a good chance and I wasn’t sure how competitive the course was but I’m thinking of trying to get into Warwick through clearing for engineering/chemistry now instead

All the best, Warwick is a great uni and they'd be lucky to have you!
Reply 13

Thank you very much!
Reply 14
Hi,

I got an offer, I had A*AB. I was really surpised as well when I saw that the requirement was only AAB. Did you guys end up applying or recieving offers?
Original post by LSD689
I got an offer, I had A*AB. I was really surpised as well when I saw that the requirement was only AAB. Did you guys end up applying or recieving offers?

hey,

I firmed Durham but my offer was AAB.
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous #3

Hi there do you study bsc finance at Durham and I you enjoy it battling this out with accounting and finance same uni or at brum???

Quick Reply

Latest