The Student Room Group

Cameron: Schools should increase focus on sport...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alittlepixiedust-
Oops, should've thought about how sad I'd sound just then.

Im joking. If maths is your thing thats cool :smile: to other weirdos
kids being able to read by the time they get to secondary school would be a good start Dave....
Reply 22
Maybe Cameron should focus his attention on the economy and his government's accounting practices. I mean seriously, with all the funding cuts local authorities and state schools have to priortise what services they offer and constantly review their budget (P.E. equipment is expensive) for example. Then with all the benefit cuts and increased contribution squeezing the middle-income and lower-income households, students taking up sports outside of school (only in some cases, not all, remember most coaches don't do it for the money but they still gotta eat) might not even be able to afford professional coaching.

It's all very well talking sbout what it should be like Mr Cameron and not setting into motion any definite action
Original post by anthonyfl
My school gets £7,000 a year per pupil, instead of wasting their money on smart boards they could buy other things, easily. After all, this is more money than fees for the local private school.

However, he should stop forcing sport on everyone. Some people are good at Maths, some good at music, some are good at sport. We should all aim to be fit but we don't all need to do sport. However, I'd like to see more unusual sports like sailing, rowing and fencing tried out with pupils to interest them.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Don't forget that that £7000 pays for the salary of teachers, cleaners, cafeteria staff, caretakers as well as smaller things like textbooks, exam entries, new desks/chairs, updating computer equipment etc.

Everyone should have some form of physical activity that they take part in. Usually - since most people find running and weightlifting boring - this means taking up a sport. I believe it's good to focus on sport but yes, more funding is required to focus on anything beyond sports that are already common. Maybe a greater focus on some of the lesser known sports would make Britain more successful at the Olympics (not saying we're not successful, but we definitely could be more so).
Reply 24
now that education is compulsory up to 18 (at least that's what i am told) will PE also be compulsory? i recall having to take part in 2 PE sessions a week during my GCSE's ... not studying PE or anything, but just general fitness.

might be a good idea since i read a thread recently that some people cannot even sustain a hours constant physical activity...
Original post by A.J10
And when do we fit this in? School curriculums are already being stuffed full of "we need to put more focus on X"

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i

That's because the school system is broken.

Up until year 9, schools should just teach English, Maths and how to analyse a piece of literature.

Then at GCSE age you can introduce history, geography, physics, chemistry, biology.

Then at A-level you introduce the full spectra of subjects we have currently for A-level students.

You may think that I'm crazy, but the fact is if people were more confident in the basic skills of reading, writing, analysing and maths, then they'd be far better positioned to move onto other things. This would allow the GCSE or whatever they are replaced by to be more advanced, and this would allow the A-levels to be more advanced too. It would also leave more time free throughout the whole school career to do sports, instruments, and other activities.

Instead time is wasted teaching false science and history and geography too vague to be of any use to anyone; maths is the language of science, and English is the language of everything else (in the UK at least) and so focusing more on the development of those two languages, the very things that allow you to do other subjects, should be paramount, follow by sports.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sclez1
I'm all for encouraging sport. However, there needs to be some changes. It's cruel to expect someone that doesn't like sport (as so many school kids don't) to be forced into hours of Rugby a day in freezing temperatures, for example. Currently, the un-sporty ones don't make much of a protest as P.E is only an hour or two per week; increase this time and you increase their misery. Whether they like exercise or not it could be seen as a necessary evil, but it seems unrealistic and primitive to force students into sports they desperately hate - the benefit is health, not skill at a particular sport. Therefore, movements should be made to offer more sports and an alternative in conjunction with the main. For example, on a day which would normally be football day, yoga or aerobics should be offered. While this increased choice would increase spending etc. I think it's a vital condition of increasing sporting focus.

A second effect of this might be a slight financial balance as health increases and therefore long-term NHS spending decreases.

Of course, one could argue that the extra (tax) money needed for this could be better directed. Health is important, but is it more important than policing, for example?

:lolwut: Well I guess if the population gets sick and dies, or gets obese and can barely stand up anymore, then that'd cut policing costs, so...everyone's a winner?

Of course health is more important than freaking policing.
Original post by Astronomical

Up until year 9, schools should just teach English, Maths and how to analyse a piece of literature.

Then at GCSE age you can introduce history, geography, physics, chemistry, biology.

Then at A-level you introduce the full spectra of subjects we have currently for A-level students.

You may think that I'm crazy, but the fact is if people were more confident in the basic skills of reading, writing, analysing and maths, then they'd be far better positioned to move onto other things. This would allow the GCSE or whatever they are replaced by to be more advanced, and this would allow the A-levels to be more advanced too. It would also leave more time free throughout the whole school career to do sports, instruments, and other activities.

Instead time is wasted teaching false science and history and geography too vague to be of any use to anyone; maths is the language of science, and English is the language of everything else (in the UK at least) and so focusing more on the development of those two languages, the very things that allow you to do other subjects, should be paramount, follow by sports.

They should teach science too otherwise some people (me) wouldve handcuffed themselves to their houses.
Reply 28
i dont understand anyone who thinks the conservatives have moved on from thatcherism. my old schools playing fields were sold to the adjacent PRIVATE SCHOOL in the eighties which already had about four acres. we tried to claim it back and as soon as we made the claim they built a hockey pitch on it so they were then entitled to it. we subsequently had to buy another playing field much further away from the school a couple of years ago after having NO sports grounds and by the time we ever got to the field half the pe lesson was done and we had to go back. child obesity at an all time high amongst britains working class and yet david cameron is doing the same thing.

im sick of all his talk making out like he's so active and encouraging positive change when he has done nothing but encourage ill thought out decisions
Original post by green.tea
They should teach science too otherwise some people (me) wouldve handcuffed themselves to their houses.

In years 1 through 9? Why? All that happens is your told the same things over and over, whilst simultaneously being told the last way you were told it was wrong. It's a pointless waste of time; were people better equipped to learn science, through having better maths and English, then you could just get it right the first time, or at least, skip many of these false steps out altogether.
(edited 11 years ago)
In years 1 through 9? Why? All that happens is your told the same things over and over, whilst simultaneously being told the last way you were told it was wrong. It's a pointless waste of time; were people better equipped to do learn science, though having better maths and English, then you could just get it right the first time, or at least, skip many of these false steps out altogether.

Because it would be mind numbingly boring. Id be in favour of abolishing maths as a subject altogether and then just teaching it as and when its needed in the subjects you need it in.
Because it would be mind numbingly boring. Id be in favour of abolishing maths as a subject altogether and then just teaching it as and when its needed in the subjects you need it in.

Then you end up in a situation where to teach the science, you have to first teach the maths, and because the maths, i.e. the language, is unfamiliar, it's difficult to see the science. Just like if you don't know what half the words mean, because you've only just seen them, then reading a book is essentially a pointless exercise; you have to keep checking what the words mean, thus detracting from the effect they may have in relation to the rest of the book. The unknown or unfamiliar maths would get in the way of the science you want to convey to the pupils; were they fluent in maths to begin with, not only would this not be a problem, but you could go faster and harder with the actual science, especially since by this point the students will also be older and more mature.

Maths is as far from boring as anything scientific, it's merely presented in a horrific manner at school. As I said, the schooling system is broken; it needs rebuilding from the ground up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Then you end up in a situation where to teach the science, you have to first teach the maths, and because the maths, i.e. the language, is unfamiliar, it's difficult to see the science. Just like if you don't know what half the words mean, because you've only just seen them, then reading a book is essentially a pointless exercise; you have to keep checking what the words mean, thus detracting from the effect they may have in relation to the rest of the book.

Maths is as far from boring as anything scientific, it's merely presented in a horrific manner at school. As I said, the schooling system is broken; it needs rebuilding from the ground up.

Maths is like science with the point removed. With the point goes the natural learning motivation of greater understanding.
Maths is like science with the point removed. With the point goes the natural learning motivation of greater understanding.

Maths is a language, just as English is. You learn to read and write English before you start doing humanities, and so to should you become familiar with more maths before beginning to do science and engineering. Doing science without calculus is ridiculous, yet even at A-level you don't get to this stage.

What level of maths have you actually completed, might I ask?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34

Hilarious. You genuinely think it would be a good idea to ONLY teach Maths and English for the first 9 years of your school life?

So by the time your 15 or so you'll have no idea about any sort of scientific reasoning, creativity or general knowledge about the world. You'd essentially be a robot with the ability to speak, talk and do calculations but unable to understand basic day to day concepts. Nice.
In years 1 through 9? Why? All that happens is your told the same things over and over, whilst simultaneously being told the last way you were told it was wrong. It's a pointless waste of time; were people better equipped to learn science, through having better maths and English, then you could just get it right the first time, or at least, skip many of these false steps out altogether.

I just think a 14 year old should know that the earth goes round the sun and light travels faster than sound and what gravity is.

You talk about a "pointless waste of time" well maths seems to be the biggest. If we did your proposal then after year 9 and learning the basics of maths it shouldn't be taught at gcse level, because 90% of it is absolute bs that noone ever uses
Maths is a language, just as English is. You learn to read and write English before you start doing humanities, and so to should you become familiar with more maths before beginning to do science and engineering.

What level of maths have you actually completed, might I ask?

AS equivalent at around c ish. Its like teaching chemical equations without the chemicals, like learning to read using the dictionary before novels. You wouldnt take something such as reading and remove the self evident point and then add it in later. You learn to read because you wanna read the book. Just like you should learn maths with the point attached. At very least they should have a separate applied maths for people with souls. Humans are natural learners. Someone needs to study what motivates learning and how it works and use that as the driving force in a new curriculum rather than forcing it. If left to their own devices people would take stuff apart, want to know about space and what things are made of, how their bodies work and so forth. They wouldnt go get a book about quadratic pissing equations
Original post by tsnake23
Hilarious. You genuinely think it would be a good idea to ONLY teach Maths and English for the first 9 years of your school life?

So by the time your 15 or so you'll have no idea about any sort of scientific reasoning, creativity or general knowledge about the world. You'd essentially be a robot with the ability to speak, talk and do calculations but unable to understand basic day to day concepts. Nice.

Oh I'm sorry I forgot that people aren't allowed to read newspapers or books outside of school hours. :rolleyes:

Yes I do genuinely think that. What do you gain from year 6 history? You get told vague facts which are probably only half true. Geography? Same thing. Sciences? Even worse, you get told pure lies. FYI, I am almost certain "the ability to speak, talk and do calculations" are "basic day to day concepts". Please tell me which are missing, or what could not be achieved through reading a newspaper/book on your own?

You don't go to school to get general knowledge, you go to get an education that will allow you to pursue things that you find interesting. If this is science, you need to be good at maths, if it's an art you need to be good at English, and at analysing texts. If it is "art" then that's something you could have worked on in the numerous free hours you'd have had saved through not being forced to sit and learn some utter rubbish you'd be told was wrong a year later.
Original post by manchesterunited15
I just think a 14 year old should know that the earth goes round the sun and light travels faster than sound and what gravity is.

You talk about a "pointless waste of time" well maths seems to be the biggest. If we did your proposal then after year 9 and learning the basics of maths it shouldn't be taught at gcse level, because 90% of it is absolute bs that noone ever uses

Which you could do, as you just did, in one sentence. Why do you need to waste hundreds of hours to tell them that?

Of course GCSE maths would be much more difficult than it is now, and would certainly involve calculus, vectors, matrices. "90% of maths is absolute bs that no one ever uses"? You sure about that? Let me ask, do you think microchips and the complicated that technology that exists just happened to pop up by guesswork? :mmm:
AS equivalent at around c ish. Its like teaching chemical equations without the chemicals, like learning to read using the dictionary before novels. You wouldnt take something such as reading and remove the self evident point and then add it in later. You learn to read because you wanna read the book. Just like you should learn maths with the point attached. At very least they should have a separate applied maths for people with souls. Humans are natural learners. Someone needs to study what motivates learning and how it works and use that as the driving force in a new curriculum rather than forcing it. If left to their own devices people would take stuff apart, want to know about space and what things are made of, how their bodies work and so forth. They wouldnt go get a book about quadratic pissing equations

It's nothing like teaching chemistry without the chemicals, as maths isn't a science. It's a language! Is this really so difficult to grasp?

How did you learn English, because I recall starting out with reading things like "Biff and Chip" and then steadily progressing up to things like "To Kill A Mockingbird" in year 9. That's quite a monumental leap. All I am suggesting is that the equivalent difficulty is reached by the same age in maths, which would be calculus.

You only have to listen to any maths or science lecturer and they all same that freshers are underprepared for the rise in difficulty. Let us consider for one moment why this is. Firstly, it must mean that A-levels are not difficult enough, but yet they seem much harder than GCSEs. Therefore we can deduce GCSEs aren't hard enough, but even they seem a little tricky at times. So finally, we must conclude, that by the end of year 9, students have not been exposed to anywhere near enough maths. It's odd: you start adding in year 1, and by year 9 all you can do is add, multiply and rearrange. There is no logs, no exponentials, no calculus. Even by the end of GCSE this remains the same. Then within the next two years you have to cram in all these things, rather than having spread them out over the previous 11 years. Why do we do this? So that we can be told blatant oversimplifications year upon year instead. It's fools logic to continue in this manner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending