The Student Room Group

What was your first driving lesson like?

Scroll to see replies

My first lesson was today.
15 Mins describing all the pistons, how the engine works etc, which I found interesting.

Then 45 mins of driving, possibly the scariest thing I had done. It was ok on the country roads around me, but when he said turn left and I ended up on the busiest road in my town I was so scared.

I found out I cant move into gear 2, release the clutch and accelerate and steer at the same time. I need to learn to multitask :L
Ithought I did badly, but he said I was a really good beginner, so hopefully it will look up. My next lesson is wednesday though :/

I also never knew how easy it was to accelerate..reaching 40 mph scared the **** out of me so had to slow down to 20 and was alright haha
hey how do u pay for your lesson. do you just give em money? or what?
Yeah, I just usually give my instructor money at the end of each lesson.
Some people block book though, not sure how they pay that. Maybe by cheque? :s:
granger-malfoy
hey how do u pay for your lesson. do you just give em money? or what?

yeah i just gave my instructor cash at the end of each lesson. :smile:
First lesson was driving down wide rich roads/admiring the sports cars in their drives.

We pretty much stayed there for the whole first lesson. But the next lesson we went on roundabouts, dual carriageways and all over the place.
InvoluntarySlacker
x

This is why starting with your dad is so much better. But I suppose that's hard if your family don't have a small car.
michael321
This is why starting with your dad is so much better. But I suppose that's hard if your family don't have a small car.

i'd been driving with my dad for about a month, mainly weekends to the shops and back.

My mum booked me a lesson with an instructor (cos she doesn't trust my dad) and was told that i'd need about a month of driving to pass.

Did it 1 week later and passed with 4 minors.
Reply 47
I listened to a long discussion about the car and the different bits (Peugeot 206 with plenty of toys like Auto wipers and lights). Then I drove for 5 minutes or so.
got my first lesson next friday for 2hours! he was like take 2hours cose i'l be talking alot and then ur have abit more time to get use to having a go at driving!
ahh loved it! got an hour of driving although i only drove down my road and around the roads by it, it was good cose, ive got parked cars round cornors and a hill and speed bumps and a school so i was able to get to 2nd gear and kinda get a feel of steering but ahh cant wait to get back in the car tbh i miss it! he said that he think il have no problem since i got the whole pretty quickly and shizzle. fingers crossed:biggrin:
mine was similar to the OP - (i had 2 hour lessons) i got talked to for the 1st hour about the controls and what pedal was what and the switches... then i drove up and down a straight road about 4 times then it was time to go home.... that was my first lesson
had mine, 2 hours. the first half an hour was just the basics, seats, mirrors, dashboard etc then the next 10 minutes was about moving forward, getting use to the clutch and gas, finding the biting point and pulling in. then we worked on turning left and t-junctions. then talked about lessons and progress for the future for 10 minutes. This then led onto about 30/40 minutes driving from the t-junction, left, along the road, bearing left onto a hill, up the hill, left, along this road, turning left again, giant lorry in the way and then down the road and so basically it was a lap. involved working on my breaking, switching between first and second gears, techniques. overally, a nice experience, scary but nice. a very good instructer, made me feel abit confident, wasn't mean, had very good patience, answered my questions, taught me like an equal and just very good at his job. at first i started off, touch and go, wasn't amazing but then i got more use to it so, not bad or good but practise makes perfect and by the end of i was getting alot better, several laps under my belt. pretty damn good.
Reply 52
Had my first lesson today on my birthday, spent ten minutes doing cockpit stuff and then drove around Cannock Chase for nearly an hour all went quite well although I feel I could have done better as he had to keep adjusting my steering for me every time I went to change gear. Amazing how quickly you end up doing 65mph without looking though.

I then got in my own car and kurbed the only wheel to already of had a mark on it when my L plate blew off the front of the car and into the road :/

Going to do some more driving with my dad and hopefully look at passing this year we shall have to see.

Is it normal for your instructor to have to keep pulling the wheel back for you to begin with or is this something I might have problems with?
Reply 53
It was about a year and a half ago... I remember my instructor explaining all the boring stuff for about half an hour and drove for the remaining 90 minutes or so. I also happened to find myself on the main road after mishearing my instructor which was eventful. Was I nervous? hell yes, but it was still a fun experience. Driving becomes second nature though in due time...
first road drove down was cobbled... nearly got a boner. memory still haunts me.
my instructor asked me if i knew what each of the pedals did so i gave as much detail as i could to minimise his talking time. i got it spot on so he talked for a short amount of time then we got into the actual driving and i drove around for about an hour and 40 mins.
The lesson went quite slow though cos he was quite slow at teaching it took an hours worth of driving for me to be allowed to put it into second as we were just doing starting and stopping and getting a general feel for the car.
On my first lesson, my instructor took me to a quiet road, and went through the basics for most of the lesson. Then he let me drive down the road. That was it. I must add that i got rid of this instructor after about 8 lessons.
Original post by Emma:-)
On my first lesson, my instructor took me to a quiet road, and went through the basics for most of the lesson. Then he let me drive down the road. That was it. I must add that i got rid of this instructor after about 8 lessons.

:eek: How comes and what had you done by the end of 6 lessons?
Reply 58
I loved my first lesson. I was so excited when i actually drove the car. I think it's the best feeling ever the first time you drive. Then at the end of the lesson he asked me if i ever driven before because i was a good driver. :biggrin:
Original post by Coffeegirl
:eek: How comes and what had you done by the end of 6 lessons?

Basically in the 8 lessons i had, i had done pretty much naff all. I would have 2 lessons (i had one a week), then he would be "on holiday" for a fortnight, then i would have another couple, then he would be "on holiday" for another fortnight. At its worst, i had one lesson in 5 weeks. The first time, i actually believed he was on holiday (i had no reason not to), but then he kept doing it. Even when i did have a lesson, i just went round the same 2 or 3 streets constantly, just driving up and down, i never actually learnt anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending