The Student Room Group

Why do people buy Macs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by {Unregistered}
Well, I had never used a MacBook myself before last week so I'm not really the person to answer this but I've certainly heard better things about MacBooks than, say, HP or Acer.

The manufacturer's I trust (based on my experience with them) are Toshiba, Samsung and Asus...and now I'm beginning to like Apple too, even though it's only been a week since I've had it.

HP and Sony are two manufacturers that I know from experience to be a bit of "hit or miss".

According to most reliability surveys (that I have seen) Toshiba and Asus are usually at the top of the pack...then again, reliability surveys don't matter if your specific product fails. My Toshiba is still going strong after more than 1.5 years of rough use but that doesn't mean Toshiba laptops don't fail.

Well obviously reliability surveys don't matter if your specific product fails, however when making your buying decision they tell you with some precision how likely your product is to fail.
Reply 61
Original post by Robertall
Sorry but my MacBook is 100% reliable, not a single problem.

You are obviously the one that is deluded.

MacBooks are better than Windows Laptops, i have had both, and i have used Ubuntu. The OS X Lion is a bit of a rip off from Linux, but not too badly.

It is preference and personal opinion, after all.

100% is a statistic, so I expect you to source your statistic. If you can't then stop spouting crap. Guess what? I haven't had a single problem with my Alienware M11x R1 in ~2 years but that doesn't mean it's 100% reliable. It also cost £400, take that Apple.

Original post by CHY872
I've used Macs and PCs side by side for a few years now, so I have had a while to formalise this argument.

1) In general, all Mac hardware is pretty good. I'm totally ignoring the price in this point - I'm just saying that in general, there won't be a part of a Mac laptop which is a total dud. Normally when you buy a laptop, there's at least one part of it that you don't like that much - the key action, the touchpad response. This is because there's a race with the OEMs to pump out as many different models as possible to attempt to fill every single niche. With Macs, pretty much all of them feel exactly the same - the keyboards are the same, the touchpads are the same - so provided you like those two methods of input, you'll like all of them. I like those two methods of input.
2) It runs a Unix operating system. This is a big deal for me. I do lots of computer programming, and like to be able to use the command line. Bash is far more featured than the dos emulator on Windows - it's just easier to use, more featured and extends more. You can do most things without leaving the command line on OSX, should you want to. Last year I made a bet that I could do all my schoolwork from the command line - it worked perfectly. In effect, I get the benefit I need from Linux, but the mass-market appeal of Windows.
3) OS X is a nice operating system to use. I don't really give a crap about customising my desktop. I don't care too much about custom drivers or any other tweaks that OS X is meant to be good for. I just like everything to work, with minimal effort. I'm not a fan of extensive customisation, but when I do need it, I'm fine with delving into system files - so OSX is for me.

All in all, the reasons I have a Macbook Pro are: Hardware, Software. Pretty simple really!

1) Fair enough, Mac hardware (by that I don't mean the electronic internals) is pretty great.
2) Well you can run any Unix variant (or Linux if you want) on a PC so it's a moot point.
3) If you don't really care about customizing or what OS X is specifically meant to be good for, I don't see how you can say OS X specifically is good since you would be able to get by on any OS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
I use a Macbook Air, iPhone + nano.

I started just over a decade ago with a Dell (75Mhz...woooo...speed!). Progressed to building over a dozen desktops for gaming/geeky stuff, then a few windows laptops, a series of netbooks...and recently the Air. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Why? My job keeps me on the road 200+ days a year. I only need MS Office, internet and music - but i need my gear to be light and definitely reliable - i don't have time for pi55ing around fixing things and tweaking settings. Plug and play is vital.

The Air boots/wakes instantly, i've DIY upgraded the SSD to 256gb, you connect the phone/mp3 and it all just syncs. It's lightweight, well-built and the battery lasts forever. Come within home wifi range, auto-backups with TimeCapsule. I've worked with PCs/Windows long enough to realise i am paying a significant premium...but, imho, for something that Windows/Android/PC Mfrs' simply can't deliver without a lot of mucking around - guaranteed ease and convenience. I'm no Mac fanboy and not keen on Mac OS, but *my* alternatives are only attractive if cost is an issue. Which it isn't. If a better solution to my needs appears, i'll switch in a heartbeat.

Not sure why other people buy it, everyone's needs are different, but great hype, marketing, design and snob value are probably a factor - Apple are good at that side of business! :-)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Joinedup
Macs are nice, not nice enough to justify the expense tho imo given pc's are nearly as nice and will do everything you need for uni plus play games.

One of my lecturers used a mac to prepare their powerpoints to show us on the uni pc's... Every so often a slide would **** up meaning there's some compatibility issues between mac and pc versions of powerpoint, probably not even apples fault but you wouldn't want it happening to you on a powerpoint you were showing on a uni pc and being assessed on.

Real world jobs apart from in hipster industries like advertising, you'll likely be using a pc anyway.

Dead on. And as far as I'm aware, isn't that the coding differences between the PC and Mac why some documents aren't being displayed clearly?
Original post by tooosh

1) Fair enough, Mac hardware (by that I don't mean the electronic internals) is pretty great.
2) Well you can run any Unix variant (or Linux if you want) on a PC so it's a moot point.
3) If you don't really care about customizing or what OS X is specifically meant to be good for, I don't see how you can say OS X specifically is good since you would be able to get by on any OS.

2) It's not a moot point. If I ran (say) Debian or Fedora, I wouldn't have access to MS Office or iTunes or Photoshop or any one of the numerous Windows/OSX limited pieces of software that I use almost daily (although I am using MS Office less, I wouldn't easily be able to do without it). I'd effectively have to dual boot. By using OSX, I achieve both access the broad mass market software ecosystem as well as the open source one. There are certain pieces of Linux software I'd find hard to get running - but there's usually an OSX equivalent.
3) Again, not a moot point. OP claims that Windows is better because it can do more in terms of hardware and software. I claim it's not better for me, because I simply don't care about the extra things it can do. If I have no preference about the base operating system (except for anything that uses Unity. Unity is IMO ****e), then that means that any specific benefit the OS provides is useless to me.
Reply 65
THE QUESTION IS WHY DON'T PEOPLE BUY A MAC?
WHY DO THEY BUY A PC? :cool:
Reply 66
Original post by CHY872
2) It's not a moot point. If I ran (say) Debian or Fedora, I wouldn't have access to MS Office or iTunes or Photoshop or any one of the numerous Windows/OSX limited pieces of software that I use almost daily (although I am using MS Office less, I wouldn't easily be able to do without it). I'd effectively have to dual boot. By using OSX, I achieve both access the broad mass market software ecosystem as well as the open source one. There are certain pieces of Linux software I'd find hard to get running - but there's usually an OSX equivalent.
3) Again, not a moot point. OP claims that Windows is better because it can do more in terms of hardware and software. I claim it's not better for me, because I simply don't care about the extra things it can do. If I have no preference about the base operating system (except for anything that uses Unity. Unity is IMO ****e), then that means that any specific benefit the OS provides is useless to me.

2) There are very good alternatives to all of those except Photoshop. Photoshop CS5 works almost perfectly on wine though and CS6 is well on its way. I can only think of a few propietary apps that don't have viable alternatives.
3) If the specific benefits of any OS is useless then it doesn't matter which one you use so the cheaper one is better.
Original post by CHY872

It's not MS Office, it's Office for Mac. They're different products (and serious users will notice this), even if they are closer to each other than let's say Openoffice and MS Office.
Reply 68
I don't own one but they sure look pretty.

The pricetag is far from appealing though. They need to get their heads out of their arses and lower their prices.

I do love my iPod touch though. I swear there's nothing else on the market that can compete with that.
Original post by Chad_Bronson
Genuine question I've never really got my head round. There seems to be a lot of stick about people owning Macs - Mostly the accusations about them being 'hipsters', technologically arrogant, etc.

So I asked myself this question - Why do people buy Macs? What loving incentive is there to buy a Mac, when a Windows machine that's configured correctly has the flexibility of Windows (or Linux, if you wanted) and will just run and run?

Genuine question here. I use Windows 7 on a PC; and the performance on it has been rock solid after I installed a driver that fixed my display (D-SUB to HDMI lead always displayed the images underscanned; but a driver update fixed that).

I've used a Mac, personally didn't like my experience. It seemed... Backwards; in the sense most people train on a bog-standard Windows PC, but the Mac PC seems to rewrite this. IMO, it seems clumsy to use, whereas Windows 7 doesn't get in the way and let you do things (unlike the dog Windows 7).

Windows can do more than a Mac, too, in terms of hardware, software, etc... So is there something I'm missing out with a Mac, or is it just glorified hype?

" 'Cause its shiny and expensive thus that means it is better right?"
:facepalm2:

Well, most people using Macs are conned into thinking that expensive = better, but for some people eg. those using specific industry software, audio packages, terminal, or making use of the Unix architecture, a Mac is required - but these people are about 1 in 100 of actual Mac owners.

Original post by {Unregistered}
I'll just post my input here and explain why I bought a MacBook Pro 13" recently for university, instead of opting for one of my other Windows options (Samsung Series 7, Lenovo Thinkpads, Toshiba Portege).
I've always been a Windows guy and this is my first Apple product too, so you should keep this in mind before you read ahead.

Note: I am going to be assuming that the MBP 13" is classified as an ultra-book for all intents and purposes due to the great battery life and light weight, even though it technically isn't classified as one by Apple.

1. Aluminium Unibody: Aesthetically pleasing, seems pretty solid, no noticeable air vents, fairly light. Most other laptops (even those in the same price range) make extensive use of plastic in the body and the build quality will generally be lower, not only because of the plastic, but because the body is assembled in parts and may result in creaking and bending. Toshiba Portege series laptops and Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 is an exception.
2. Hardware / specs: Standard mobile processor instead of ULV one leading to better performance (Ask if you want an explanation). Most, if not all, other laptops with the same battery life (6+ hours) have ULV processors. User upgradability - I can upgrade to an SSD and add more RAM later on by myself instead of having to take it to Apple and pay a premium for the same upgrades.
3. Good connectivity: ethernet port, optical drive, thunderbolt port, firewire (all these things are usually not present in many PC "ultra-books").
4. Battery life: Following point 2...The battery life is comparable (and often better) than the ultra-books on the market, without compromising on performance with a ULV processor.
5. Software: Mac OSX - incredibly optmised for the hardware as OSX only has to deal with a fixed set of configurations of hardware and not provide guaranteed support for all configurations like Windows, Unix-based - so the memory management is better and free RAM is used in a more efficient manner, Secure - not because "derp I are c00l MaC don't GET ViruS lololol" but because Mac OSX's market share is too low for hackers and crackers to bother spending there resources on making viruses for it...not saying there are no viruses, but they are very few in comparison with Windows. Gestures - At first the cool gestures with swiping and multi-touch support feel like gimmicks but the more you use them, the more you like them and appreciate their usefulness in everyday computing. Xcode - so I can legally program apps for Mac OSX and iOS in Objective C.
6. Personal preference: I wanted to try something new and I hadn't ever used Mac OSX or an Apple product, so I decided to try it out. Basically, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
7. Durability: Or rather what I've heard of Apple MacBooks and how they are very reliable and last long. I want something that will last me the next 4 years and I didn't want to risk with anything of lower quality. (If I wanted to risk it, I would have definitely gone with the Sony S13, which is cheaper and packs a discrete GPU too. The only reason I didn't go with it is because I haven't had a great experience with Vaio's in the past and because of this: http://www.sonyvaiosucks.com :tongue:)

If I have missed anything, I will edit it in later. Feel free to comment on why you think I'm right or wrong, but please do make sure you can show me a comparable machine at a significantly lower price. Tip: The Toshiba Portege is the only line-up that comes close to the Apple MacBook line-up in terms of quality and performance...and you know what? They cost pretty much the same as the MacBooks. Keep in mind that I researched the laptop market for over a month before I bought this MBP last week.

Also, I have another Windows laptop (Toshiba Satellite L655) which I love, but I'm not taking to university due to low portability.

1 - Who cares about the outside :confused: With electronics what matters is the inside, not the outside :rofl: So cheesy, but in thise case it is true.

2 - Dell also offer upgrades, and the horrific time it takes for Apple to renew their products makes the hardware inside a downside as they become very dated, very quickly.

3 - All laptops have them (bar firewire as nothing uses it).

4 - Battery life is a problem on most laptops, but new batteries are lasting at a comparable rate to Macs. Also some batteries don't last as long as the hardware is far more powerful.

5 - the software being so optimised is also limiting as it prevents many programs running smoothly on the Mac compared to a PC.

7 - That is sadly a myth and very wrong. The life span of Macs is the same as any other laptop, and you have no support if you do not continue to pay through your nose for Apple care. The fact is any compact electronics (laptops, smartphones etc) will break within 18 months + due to heat damage, thus you want to find the laptop with the longest warranty possible.
Original post by LilMonster
this thread is just stupid, the OP is obviously biased as he is contradicting everything mac users says, OP asks for why we have macs and OP slams you for having one wtf?

when OP learns to stop being a bigot, then ignore this post. HATE ON.

I cant be arsed reading the rest of the thread, but I just got to this then noticed you used "hate on" to finish 2 posts and it really bothered me. Just wanted to let you know that it either sounds like a very faggy signing off catchphrase or a really **** superhero powering up. FLAME ON.
Reply 71
Original post by lisa.k
THE QUESTION IS WHY DON'T PEOPLE BUY A MAC?
WHY DO THEY BUY A PC? :cool:

Because macs are a complete rip-off! I can get a machine with the same specs for half the price. We don't all have money to burn to look cool. :cool:
Original post by Horatio-
You seem to be acting as if this is a life or death decision. It's not.

What if I told you that neither is truly better than one another? Omg!

It isn't a life or death situation obviously. It's a matter of preferences and money.

Do computer users not prefer faster machines? Do they not prefer better hardware? Do they not prefer having more money?

You could say that neither is truly better than the other, but that is a little naive. Some computers are better than others based on comparisons of hardware and price. Simples.
Reply 73
Original post by tweeto
Because macs are a complete rip-off! I can get a machine with the same specs for half the price. We don't all have money to burn to look cool. :cool:

I don't have money to burn. I worked hard to buy it... I have had my mac for about 6 years now. In the same time frame my brother has had a sony vaio and a hp laptop. These were about £450 brand new so you might as well save up a bit longer to buy a mac as it will last longer :cool:
Reply 74
Original post by tweeto

Spec is not everything. When people look at spec they ignore the quality of build, choice of materials, actual usage battery life or the resolution of the screen.

It is expensive. But you get more when you pay more. :smile:
Reply 75
I bought one of the most expensive non-apple laptops out there, and it set me back £500. A normal, "average" macbook will set you back AT LEAST £800. Its crazy, most people just pay for the little chewed apple logo anyway. I have an iPhone 4 and really like it, but its not worth the money I paid for it originally.
Reply 76
thy area awesome. period. stat. end of.
Original post by tooosh
2) There are very good alternatives to all of those except Photoshop. Photoshop CS5 works almost perfectly on wine though and CS6 is well on its way. I can only think of a few propietary apps that don't have viable alternatives.
3) If the specific benefits of any OS is useless then it doesn't matter which one you use so the cheaper one is better.

2) Fact is that I'm not particularly interested in the open source alternatives. I'm a big fan of open source software, I use open source software when I can and generally develop using the GPL v2 - but when it comes down to it, I like to use either the best solution for the problem or one I already know. In general this is closed source software. With regard to Wine, it's always seemed a little ropey for me. Lots of stuff works, but often the more esoteric features crash the app or whatever. It's a good stopgap, but is often more trouble than it's worth. It may (or may not) please you to know that I use Wine on OSX just fine.

3) Yes, and OSX comes free with any Mac, which is better for me as detailed in my previous posts.

Seriously, you need to realise that arguing with me like this will not in any way influence my use of operating systems - partly because I have a Windows desktop, a Mac laptop and a Raspberry Pi linux thing (I'm not uneducated) - but also that it's just bad discussion tactics. Attempting to convince me with a 'you're wrong about this' attitude will only help set me in my ways - it's been shown in studies many times. I was simply posting here to answer the OP's question - if you want to argue with me about it that's fine, but my opinion will not be changing, so you will I assume achieve nothing.

Original post by Teenage Pirate
It's not MS Office, it's Office for Mac. They're different products (and serious users will notice this), even if they are closer to each other than let's say Openoffice and MS Office.

True, and the differences are there and obvious (different UI for one) but by and large, they do the same things almost as well as each other.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Apple put a lot into marketing.

Do have to credit Macs for Sound Engineering and Video Production.

Ah, this explains it really.

Reply 79
I haven't read the whole thread, but the main anti mac argument i see is why pay more for their products when you can get a much higher spec windows product for the same price. Personally i use both, i have one of the higher spec iMac's and a medium spec windows desktop. Why did i get a mac? because i wanted one . . .simple. I could have got another windows machine but tbh i am bored of windows, it just seems bloated and slow in comparison. The mac, when teamed with the trackpad is so easy to use, multi gesture features just make for complete ease of use and a nicer user experience. In comparison my mac beats my other PC for processing power in every way. I really don't see peoples problems when people suggest buying a mac. If you can afford it and your happy to pay for a mac then you won't be disappointed. I couldn't care less what the haters think, i am very happy with my mac purchase and still use windows machines for work and uni. I much prefer using the mac, but i don't hate windows, a rare thing it seems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending