The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Game Art Design at De Montfort 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanBK
Congrats StrategicKage, high risk pays off i guess :P you got any work online that you could share, would be helpful for everyone i think :smile: Also how was the interview? basically, TELL ME EVERYTHINGGG! :biggrin:
my application has just been sent off so I'm pretty excited :smile:
seeing as people were asking, i have an online sketchbook here if people want to see my stuff. It contains pretty much everything I've done in the last six months :smile: if anyone feels like commenting or giving some tips please do, would love to hear everyones views on my stuff

Hehe, good luck!

There is a link to my Carbonmade portfolio in my profile, there isn't much in it but I took all the alevel stuff you see there and various other things.

Interview, for me, was really casual and I really enjoyed it. I got very excited with a 3rd year about RDR and just had a bit of a laugh with my interviewer. Really enjoyed the day! Most of my portfolio was traditional art too so I was surprised I got a place!

They're really lovely there, had an unexpected email from the course leader the following morning about how he had heard good things about my portfolio which was so thoughtful. For all I know it might have been a stock email though but who knows!

Just show them how passionate you are. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 181
You've definitely got some cool stuff in there :smile:

That sounds perfect :P definitely seems like the best way for interviews to go. Thats reassuring, I've done a bit of digital but its nearly all oil paintings and sketchbook work

Thats well nice of them, assuming it wasn't one that they just sent to everyone :P

sounds good to me, thanks :smile:

Another worry is that if they've already offered a bunch of people places then there are less places left for me to get in to, and seeing as i seem to remember them saying they only had 30 places (is that right??) thats not great :/
Just wait and see i guess :smile:
Original post by DanBK
You've definitely got some cool stuff in there :smile:

That sounds perfect :P definitely seems like the best way for interviews to go. Thats reassuring, I've done a bit of digital but its nearly all oil paintings and sketchbook work

Thats well nice of them, assuming it wasn't one that they just sent to everyone :P

sounds good to me, thanks :smile:

Another worry is that if they've already offered a bunch of people places then there are less places left for me to get in to, and seeing as i seem to remember them saying they only had 30 places (is that right??) thats not great :/
Just wait and see i guess :smile:

I heard they had a similar amount of places, but I'm sure they give everyone who applies in time an equal chance. I don't know how freely they've been giving offers since I haven't found anyone who has had an interview, let alone an offer. I shouldn't worry, so long as you get your application in, in time.
I have the same worry as you Dan! Surely the people that apply later are at a disadvantage?

Also, a related question:
If they have say 30 places, how do they decide when to hand out each of the places? Like, say if they handed out 30 offers but then someone else came along that they also loved, would they give them an offer too, and hope that some people don't get expected grades? And do they hand out offers as soon as they like someone, or once they've compared them with other people first?
Reply 184
As long as they haven't handed out too many already it should be fine

Its a worry, but I'm not sure anyones going to be able to answer the question. Its effectively just one or a few people who can pretty much do what they want in terms of offering place. Theres probably going to be a logical guideline, as it obviously makes sense to not offer 30 places with only half the people interviewed, but anything could happen

Just sit here and hope i guess :P
So do you guys know if everyone gets interviewed? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 186
Yeh, I'm pretty sure everyone does. Unless for some reason theres no chance of you being a candidate for the course (I'm thinking really low grades or incredibly awful ps, something like that)
But id assume that would be only a few extreme cases and everyone gets a chance, especially coz its so heavily portfolio based :smile:
Reply 187
Hi guys! Current 1st year here, seeing all you new guys talking away is bringing back all the memories of applying. Anyway, if you guys have any questions or queries about the course or student life in general then just shoot and I'll try to get back to you as quick as I can. :biggrin:
Same here, I'm currently a first year, and if you guys have questions just ask us :smile:
About the 'how many places are there?' Discussion, our year they accepted 53 (or around that number lol) people for 1st years. So don't worry too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the help guys! How is the course going for you two?
Reply 190
It's the best course in the world!! That said I may be being a little biased there, just a little though, but I am loving every minute of it. It's alot of work though, I don't think there was a person in our year who wasn't stressed over the first deadline! Although, personally, I enjoy everything we do, sketching, 3Ding and the blogging has grown on me as well. The course team is great as well especially Chris, also noteworthy are Simon and Jack, but they're all pretty close by whenever you need their help.

Have any of you guys had your interviews yet, or got a date for them?
Original post by Bloodrush1992
Same here, I'm currently a first year, and if you guys have questions just ask us :smile:
About the 'how many places are there?' Discussion, our year they accepted 53 (or around that number lol) people for 1st years. So don't worry too much

Posted from TSR Mobile

53?! We were told at the open day they accept around 30! How comes they accepted more?
Oh, and my interview is this thursday, so 3 days! How many landscape paintings did you guys have in your portfolios, also?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 192
Original post by Anniestasia
53?! We were told at the open day they accept around 30! How comes they accepted more?
Oh, and my interview is this thursday, so 3 days! How many landscape paintings did you guys have in your portfolios, also?

There's around 30 in the year above, maybe 20 in 3rd year, I think we were a wierd one when it came to numbers. and regarding your the interview, firstly I hope it goes well for you, I only had 2 or 3 landscapes and personally I thought they were pretty poor but showing an understanding of form, composition and prespective is good but most importantly show your potential. Not an easy one but what they're looking for is people who they think are able to improve to the industry standard. I hope that explains it OK and I haven't made you worry more.... Uh, if I have sorry :/ But it should go fine, I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times already but be confident, be yourself and it'll go swimmingly. :smile:
Thanks! Were all your portfolio pieces proper big paintings too, like each paintings being several hours of work, or were some just sketches? As it seems a lot to ask for 15 full pieces of art to a good quality!
Reply 194
Mine were an even mix, perhaps leaning more to finished paintings. Looking back my folio seemed to be a mess of anything I thought they'd want to see, 3D, technical drawings, sketches, paintings. But yes, you're right in what you're saying, they're not asking for all of your pieces to be final, sketches and sketchbooks, unfinished stuff too, if they show a good example of the structure of the painting are really good. Have you done much figure work? Life drawing or otherwise? Oh and while I'm thinking about it, I don't know if you've done any big projects or anything, it may be good to bring along a small portion of your research and development and talk about the thought process behind a project.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 195
Oh Ewan, get off the SR and do your van.
If any of you guys have the portfolios you used to get in online, that would be great to see!

Most of my portfolio is either digital paintings or drawings on paper. My mediums are mainly Pencil, Pen, Brush Pens, and Photoshop. So far in my portfolio there's one life drawing piece done with poster paints, but that's the only proper 'painting' in my whole portfolio.

Do you think it's a good idea to try and create some acrylic/oil pieces or is drawing and it's translation to digital enough?
Thanks to you first years for helping us out :smile:

I dont have much of a portfolio yet... the start of my foundation year hasn't gone that great but i'm really getting stuck in now i'm NOT ILL haha. I only got my application sent today... thank goodness.

I did this today its not finished but I was hoping for your thoughts... good enough.. okay.. rubbish? :/

E-tha2.jpg

xx
Reply 198
I'm joining you Ewan! I procrastinate...

I pretty much just brought my A level work (well mostly AS as my A level wasn't fully completed at the time) and some personal paintings. I also brought photos of my textile piece that I made for my AS. I'm not sure how other schools work, but we basically spread out our A level projects on A1 sheets and put them up. I just brought several sheets with me in a big portfolio and presented them during my interview. I just wanted to show my thought process, a variety of different media as well as some consistency in my style. Here are some examples: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/o/2012/014/f/d/fd12433c4e4a3cdf3f901b09a4d07482.jpg (all digital) and http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/o/2012/014/5/8/58eaca56338bea01a954b2b71864a9c0.jpg (colouring pencils, pencils, acrylic, watercolour, ballpoint pen) and http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/o/2011/356/4/b/4be5dbf9d7f54fa2aa0cebb5d5158d80.jpg

I also put together my A level project (well, anything that was finished at the time), it was based on Mirror's Edge so I thought it would be relevant to the course. I drew a lot of buildings and stuff for it so once again, it was good for adding a little variety to my portfolio. I just stuck the finished pieces and some sketches on a big white sheet and talked them through it.

I didn't bring any traditional paintings because I can't paint for sheit. Digital painting for the winnnnn! (printing is so expensive though) ):

To be fair though, I think they would much rather see your traditional work and some touches of digital here and there, simply because digital art doesn't necessarily prove your skill. Just keep it balanced.
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh man! I've seen your work all over the place when researching the Game Art course. Your work looks pretty awesome, I love the one with that woman warrior with the war paint. Looks incredibly realistic! If you work is 'standard' for the year then I don't think I have a chance haha

Recently in my foundation I've started to focus on working towards this course; if you could critique my work that would be really helpful :smile:

http://momotaroushido.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/castleadjusted2.jpg (scanned drawing painted on Photoshop)
http://momotaroushido.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/flyman.jpg (scanned drawing painted on Photoshop)
http://momotaroushido.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/mattepaintingletterboxnoheli.jpg (Matte Painting; mostly edited photos with some Photoshop paint)
http://momotaroushido.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/dsc_3630.jpg?w=500 (my most recent Life Drawing)

I've already talked to two of your course members, but it would be awesome to hear the opinions of as many people as possible. I really want to get into this course!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending