The Student Room Group

Dropped out of uni, already spent my loan, and i think they want it back

I started uni october last year, then after christmas I became ill, I tried to continue with the course, doing what i could (which wasn't much) for most of the term, i then realised i had no hope of passing and it would be much better to start again next year.
The doctor put in her letter that my suspension of studies should start from the beginning of the academic term, or something a long those lines.. I didn't really think much of this at the time, but have now received a letter from student finance saying what they will pay for this year, which is only the first term. As i spent the next term in halls trying to keep up, I spent it all, and then some more, and am now worried they are going to ask for money i don't have. :frown:
Original post by Ouzo
I started uni october last year, then after christmas I became ill, I tried to continue with the course, doing what i could (which wasn't much) for most of the term, i then realised i had no hope of passing and it would be much better to start again next year.
The doctor put in her letter that my suspension of studies should start from the beginning of the academic term, or something a long those lines.. I didn't really think much of this at the time, but have now received a letter from student finance saying what they will pay for this year, which is only the first term. As i spent the next term in halls trying to keep up, I spent it all, and then some more, and am now worried they are going to ask for money i don't have. :frown:

You need to send student finance a letter from your GP explaining that you suspended your studies due to illness, and a letter from your university stating when your suspension is from, and the date you intend you resume your studies.

Generally, student finance will pay for up to 60 days of funding after the date of your suspension. They only pay more than that in exceptional circumstances (In my case they paid due to suspending for health reasons, and having financial commitments in Nottingham, along with evidence I was best staying in Nottingham as opposed to returning to my family home).

Generally as long as you plan to resume your studies, if you have had more funding than you are entitled to, they will simply pay you less money when you get your next payment as opposed to demanding money back (which they would do if you were unsure if you were returning).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending