The Student Room Group

How are you passing time until uni starts?

Scroll to see replies

given up with looking for a job -_-
volunteering, abit of work experience
just wasting each day one by one otherwise :P
got a wedding coming up and will be up north most of august
after results day, Uni shopping/sorting stuff/packing
have some forms I need to fill in but keep putting off :tongue:
erm meeting friends ofc :biggrin: thorpe park hopefully soon and just random trips out to the cinema, town, park, bowling :biggrin:
Original post by when she was 22
Watched a lot of daytime TV. Cake Boss is great, makes you reconsider uni at all in favour of a cake career. There's also some sort of programme like It's Me Or The Dog that I can't remember the name of, except it's with cats, hosted by a guy with this crazy beard, but anyway as you can imagine it's about training these insane rogue neighbour-terrorising cats and it's brilliant. And of course, Jeremy Kyle.

Playing The Sims, rereading books, watching a lot of YouTube make-up tutorials, internetting in general. My one bad habit though is "popping into town for a look around" when I'm really really bored, which almost always ends in spending a small fortune. The money I was saving for uni is slowly draining away!

And then normal stuff like seeing the boyfriend and friends, working (I'm only getting about 15 hours max. per week though :sad:), going out to summery events like festivals etc.

15 hours...i don't think ive had a week with less than 15 hours since i started in feb, the only problem is if you get to do more than 15, you tend to always do a lot more than 15, e.g. ive done a 53 hour week
Original post by kuroudo93
15 hours...i don't think ive had a week with less than 15 hours since i started in feb, the only problem is if you get to do more than 15, you tend to always do a lot more than 15, e.g. ive done a 53 hour week

Well the company I work for have gone mad for cutting hours as much as they can to save money... the full timers and people who started before me (which is literally everyone) get priority over me so I always end up with crap shifts and crap hours. It's awful, I can't wait to leave :tongue:
Original post by when she was 22
Well the company I work for have gone mad for cutting hours as much as they can to save money... the full timers and people who started before me (which is literally everyone) get priority over me so I always end up with crap shifts and crap hours. It's awful, I can't wait to leave :tongue:

Aha i know how you feel re wanting to leave, im counting down the days, and days like today and yesterday dont help
Volunteering for a children's centre called Sure Start and for the British Heart Foundation.

Otherwise, just been seeing friends, reading etc.
Reply 105
I finished 1st year of uni at like the start of may, I had to go back up there to do a resit in a module I hadn't really studied for the 1st time around,
Other than that applied for loads of jobs didn't get anywhere, had 2 interviews for a Mcdonlds summer Job but they still didn't want me. This wasted like 6 weeks,
saw friends back home realised how much or how little certain friends had changed
started volunteering at my local The Children's Society charity shop although getting my school to finally send my references was a nightmare.
I really like working there and do 3 shifts a week
Other than that looking at internships for 3rd year
Trying to learn PHP MySQL which will give me a head start for next year at uni
And I watched all of current Breaking Bad, Prison Break and have now started on Dexter :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 106
Hey! Ive been unsuccessfully applying for job vacancies, I managed to get 3 interviews but none have lead to anything further unfortunately, but hey, at least I had the joys of them right!? Hmm..

Then pretty much been hitting the gym, I lost 3 stone last year and 1 stone this year so far, but at the start of summer I put on about 8lbs (now I can eat all the food I want again), but Ive got rid of that again thankfully.

Been going out weekly with my friends back at home, many drunk times, and other than that enjoying being back with the family and catching up with TV series (Game of Thrones, The Returned, Skins, Modern Family, starting Haven Season 3 and American Horror Story Season 2).

Im really enjoying summer, make the most of the time!
Reply 107
Reading books, Facebook, watching Tv, playing video games and on my way to fame on TSR.
Working 30-40 hours a week in a Hotel
Doing online university courses on Coursera, maybe 3 hours a week.
Working out 6-7 hours a week.
Reading 1-2 hours a week.
Catching up on TV shows and films that I missed since April, there's always more films to see, so maybe 20 hours a week.
Probably 5 hours a week on the Xbox.

It all adds up, I'm never bored,
Sleeping
Reading - it is so nice to have the time to just sit and read a book after 2 years of constantly thinking 'I should be working/revising I can't just sit and read for 3 hours!'
Swimming
Playing with my next door neighbours kids - 1 and 4 adorable but tiring trying to entertain them for 3 hours straight
Babysitting next doors kids
Waiting for my best friend to get home from her month-long volunteer holiday
Watching pictures go up on facebook of all my other 'friends' getting together without me

Almost forgot the most important one, uni shopping! Been to ikea and got all my pots and pans and general kitchen stuff :smile:
Working, Spending 80% of my earning on partying and generally living it large till I'm skint again in 2 months
Reply 111
Redecorating my room - don't know why since I'll be moving out end of Sept, but hey, at least I'll have a nice room to come home to in the holidays.
Watching lots of TV - mainly anime though and An Idiot Abroad
I'm restarting work mid August and I'll be trying to get as much hours as I can till September.
Driving lessons, been doing 2 hours a week and I will be stepping this up to 3-4 hours a week soon as I have a driving test booked.
Selling anything and everything on eBay to declutter and make some cash.
Have a scholarship interview coming up which I haven't started preparing for yet :redface:
Hanging out with my family as much as I can especially my nieces and nephews.
Talking to my closest friend every night for like 1+ hours
(edited 10 years ago)
Trying to find somewhere to live for 4th year (just got back from my year abroad 2 weeks ago), currently failing, panicking a bit, watching the cricket, reading, baking, sleeping, taking the dog for several walks a day to fend off boredom, more panicking.
Gym, TV series, Uni reading list, PS3 and, of course, playing Pokemon.
Reply 114
PS3, work and looking for a new series to watch. currently watching St. Elsewhere pilot...its not very new tho lol :bebored:
football manager/fifa
Enjoying middle of my 5 month long summer of course.

Making the most of having to complain about not having anything to do. :biggrin:
By working my arse off.
This summer has been really busy, thankfully, last summer had me literally running circles around my hometown and watching far more Hannibal films than is good for me. I watched heaps of films, worked, went driving, went running, talked to anyone who was willing to chat to me on the Freshers Page for uni and raged about how long the summer was. And watched the Olympics, naturally.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 119
Been killing time for a whole year because of my (unplanned) gap year so I'm pretty pro at it!

Working the next few weeks. Got a few meetups with friends planned but most or spontaneous. Then off to Madagascar FINALLY from 1st September to 2 days before uni. Think I should start buying things before I leave!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending