The Student Room Group

Guy wants UK uni fees to go up?

Hey guys, this was in the news today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24771452 and I was wondering, what do you guys make of it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What a plonker. I have an idea, stop wasting millions on stupid weddings and funerals and make education free.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I hate that guy!! It's bad enough for us already!!
I hate to say this, but technically he's correct ie: one day a 9K fee would be equivalent of us spending around £1000 today. It'd be nice if we could get free education though :biggrin: Sadly that's not going to happen
hang him.......
Original post by de_monies
I hate to say this, but technically he's correct ie: one day a 9K fee would be equivalent of us spending around £1000 today. It'd be nice if we could get free education though :biggrin: Sadly that's not going to happen

It could happen, but yes you're right, it probably won't.
Original post by economist2
hang him.......

Doesn't sound like a bad idea when you have over £27000 worth of debt after uni
Reply 7
So glad i was the last year to pay 3.5k
Original post by emski
I hate that guy!! It's bad enough for us already!!

Its fine for him because he didn't face uni debt and he earns over 100 grand :angry:
He has a point, and it's something the government was too stupid to foresee (or they did and just didn't care).

Previously the government would've paid for it and compensated for inflation, using the increased taxes that were gained through inflated earnings. Now that's been disabled, so families have to pay for the rise in real terms, rather than through their tax allocations.

It's not the institutions' faults that they've been forced to take their capital from the students directly instead of through the government.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Its fine for him because he didn't face uni debt and he earns over 100 grand :angry:

I hope the uni students make him pay :wink:
Original post by emski
I hope the uni students make him pay :wink:

Haha me too.I highly doubt Labour will do much about the uni fees. The Conservatives just rushed everything to a whole new level that it'll take Labour years to sort out
Reply 12
Haha me too.I highly doubt Labour will do much about the uni fees. The Conservatives just rushed everything to a whole new level that it'll take Labour years to sort out

To be fair if it wasn't for Labour getting us into this debt problem then the conservatives might not have done that
Original post by emski
To be fair if it wasn't for Labour getting us into this debt problem then the conservatives might not have done that

Labour never considered trebling tuition fees like the Conservatives. I want to go to Swansea Uni to do engineering but it looks like I'll have to go for somewhere in London now :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by james1211
So glad i was the last year to pay 3.5k

Now hurry up and graduate!
Reply 15
That's so disgusting. I still don't understand why the government can't just pay for our education like before?

Oh right, of course, I forgot profit before people.

Thanks, Conservatives.
Hey guys, this was in the news today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24771452 and I was wondering, what do you guys make of it?

A clever idea would be too increase the £21,000 that you have to earn before you pay for your fees by inflation and I actually agree with the guy's point because you can't just up fees massively every so often its not sustainable all it means is short term security for universities and in the long term problems from inflation will make the university fees a lot lower in value the article says how the university fees would only be worth the equivalent of £8,250 today by 2016 think how much they would lose over time.The article is a bit misleading a rise by inflation isn't a true rise if something doesn't rise at the inflation rate then the fees have been cut.
Original post by Dalek1099
A clever idea would be too increase the £21,000 that you have to earn before you pay for your fees by inflation and I actually agree with the guy's point because you can't just up fees massively every so often its not sustainable all it means is short term security for universities and in the long term problems from inflation will make the university fees a lot lower in value the article says how the university fees would only be worth the equivalent of £8,250 today by 2016 think how much they would lose over time.The article is a bit misleading a rise by inflation isn't a true rise if something doesn't rise at the inflation rate then the fees have been cut.

Well you have a point there but £8250 for 3 years is still a debt hard enough to get on the property ladder
Reply 18
I'm assuming he/she lives in London already and so the theory is that he/she will save money on accommodation?
I'll have to stay at home..My parents would have told me to go to Swansea but because of the fees, I'm going to be a home student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending