The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juno
Because they have passed and you haven't. It's not being rude, it's just stating the truth.

I haven't taken my test yet. Just because people have passed their test, that doesn't mean they are at the same standard they were when they passed, and that they haven't developed bad habits.
Reply 2361
Juno comes across blunt but she is right. When you can't deal with basic elements of driving such as looking out for motorcyclists before you pulling off then you are not ready for the roads.

That mistake could ended up with the motorcyclist suffering serious injuries.
Original post by Henrikh
Juno comes across blunt but she is right. When you can't deal with basic elements of driving such as looking out for motorcyclists before you pulling off then you are not ready for the roads.

That mistake could ended up with the motorcyclist suffering serious injuries.

The way she puts things can be so unnecessary sometimes though
Original post by rharvey9510

[*]

Its so frustrating because I drive so well with my instructor! I really wish they were the ones to judge if you pass or fail.

Yeah got it in for December but looking for a cancellation.
Failed my first test on the LAST corner before the test center!

There were 2 cars in front of me and 1 oncoming that stopped to give us way.
So the first car went past and the car directly in front of me pulled up on the left behind a parked car.
So I go to overtake her and as i'm next to her she decides to pull back out and the examiner had to use the brakes.

The examiner told me that it was my fault because she was giving the oncoming car way, which doesn't make sense since
he already stopped for us and even with her to the left I had nowhere to go and would have blocked his way anyway.

Was so upset and angry, couldn't talk to anyone or eat anything that whole day.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2365
Failed my test for the 3rd time on Saturday and literally feel like giving up, never felt so down:frown:
Reply 2366
Original post by Hayleyys
Failed my test for the 3rd time on Saturday and literally feel like giving up, never felt so down:frown:

How did you fail if you dont mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2367
Original post by dooobie_
How did you fail if you dont mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The examiner claimed that I 'brushed' the wing mirror of a parked car when going down a narrow street:frown: didn't even realise at the time. Only got 3 minors as well which made it worse:frown:
Reply 2368
I failed today, I got 3 minors and a serious for forgetting to indicate right at a roundabout :frown: so gutted.
Reply 2369
Original post by Hayleyys

Dont give up. You will pass. Just keep at it.

Someday you will wonder what the fuss was about.
Reply 2370
Original post by nebulous
I failed today, I got 3 minors and a serious for forgetting to indicate right at a roundabout :frown: so gutted.

This is what realllllllly annoys me.. you failed straight away because you didnt indicate right and my boyfriend failed for the same reason but one of my friends forgot to indicate THREE times and were all noted down as minors and the examiner could have failed him but due to his 'discretion' and because the rest of his drive being 'moderate' the examiner let him off! It's a complete joke, the system needs to be clearer.. it's getting beyond ridiculous now. I failed once for going 'too slow' (I was doing 25 in a 30) yet when anothet friend did theirs they were doing 20 and never got told anything about their speed.. so annoying!
Reply 2371
This is what realllllllly annoys me.. you failed straight away because you didnt indicate right and my boyfriend failed for the same reason but one of my friends forgot to indicate THREE times and were all noted down as minors and the examiner could have failed him but due to his 'discretion' and because the rest of his drive being 'moderate' the examiner let him off! It's a complete joke, the system needs to be clearer.. it's getting beyond ridiculous now. I failed once for going 'too slow' (I was doing 25 in a 30) yet when anothet friend did theirs they were doing 20 and never got told anything about their speed.. so annoying!

If anything you would have still failed and your boyfriends friend should have failed too. Just because the examiner used his discretion with others doesn't mean you should have passed.

In essence, don't rely on an examiners discretion to pass a test.
I failed my driving test today. Not good :/ And i failed mine in the LAST 2 feet of my test. I went to park into a bay and the examiner said i was going to hit it. Deemed it as dangerous. However funny thing, he made me do it again... And i did exactly the same thing and didn't tell me off that time.

Was really gutted with myself. :/
Original post by B_Britcliffe
I failed my driving test today. Not good :/ And i failed mine in the LAST 2 feet of my test. I went to park into a bay and the examiner said i was going to hit it. Deemed it as dangerous. However funny thing, he made me do it again... And i did exactly the same thing and didn't tell me off that time.

Was really gutted with myself. :/

Di you end up getting a serious for that? How many minors did you get? Was this your first test?
Original post by Anonymousgirll
Di you end up getting a serious for that? How many minors did you get? Was this your first test?

It got classed as a "Dangerous" - Automatic Fail .

I got 14 minors (and some where seriously picky)

Yes this was my 1st Test.

I live in an Area, which according to statistics, is the most difficult place to pass in Lancashire.
Reply 2375

You can't say that. It depends on the circumstances. Anything can be a fail in the wrong circumstances, and in the right circumstances it isn't so dangerous so would be a minor.

Depending on the conditions, 25 can be too slow and holding up traffic. But going at 20 can be appropriate - a different road with more bends, outside a school, in heavy rain or fog, lots of parked cars etc.

Similarly, forgetting an indicator on a busy roundabout can be a problem but if it's really quiet or roads are marked differently it's not so much of an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2376
Original post by Juno
You can't say that. It depends on the circumstances. Anything can be a fail in the wrong circumstances, and in the right circumstances it isn't so dangerous so would be a minor.

Depending on the conditions, 25 can be too slow and holding up traffic. But going at 20 can be appropriate - a different road with more bends, outside a school, in heavy rain or fog, lots of parked cars etc.

Similarly, forgetting an indicator on a busy roundabout can be a problem but if it's really quiet or roads are marked differently it's not so much of an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The circumstances were fine. My instructor was with me and was pissed too and me and my boyfriend have the same instructor

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I had my first test today and all was going well until I decided to mount the kerb!!
There really was no need for it but I was focusing on not getting too close to the other car and then before I knew it it was over. Fun.
If that wasn't bad enough, I did the parallel park afterwards (I'm usually good with this) and it went horribly wrong. I don't think I steered right early enough and the camber got the better of me. I just looked at the instructor at this point in a way that said "I've already failed this thing so can we just drive on?!"
My test was actually very good apart from the kerb incidents (I had seven minors).
And I've NEVER mounted the kerb in lesson before. The conditions and roads were brilliant too.
I now have to wait until January - I'm not impressed -___-
Reply 2378
I've failed four times so far, and am nearly feeling ready to throw in the towel. Not because I'm a bad driver-- I think I'm pretty good by now, and so does my instructor-- but because I freeze up and make stupid and costly mistakes on tests. This process is draining me emotionally, financially, and taking me away from my PhD and bread and butter work. I feel really desperate, like I'll never get through this process. I've been taking lessons for over a year, and spent thousands of pounds on lessons, test fees, manuals, and even self-hypnosis tapes and silly self-help books on how to pass and overcome nerves. To no avail. My one consolation is that I'm now a pretty damned good driver. Confident and capable when taking lessons. Then I self-sabotage on lessons. Oh, and by the way, I'm an older driver-- in my mid-30s. I never learned to drive when I was younger, which I'm of course kicking myself for now.

First test: total disaster. So nervous I was visibly shaky, and got 2 majors, one dangerous (tried to overtake 2 cylcists on a too-narrow road) and lots of minors. That was just an "acclimation" test so I wasn't too upset. 2nd test: all went perfectly except at the very beginning of the test, leaving the center, I pulled up the clutch a bit too much out of nerves and rolled a little into the intersection. Only three minors, but failed for that one major since traffic had to go around me a bit. Test three: all perfect, except I took a wrong turn on the infamous Oxford Headington roundabout, spilled onto the dual carriageway on the right in rush hour traffic, and drove too slowly as I was trying to get back into the left. Failed for one major, again (inappropriate speed).

That brings me to today's disastrous result: I failed before even leaving the test centre. I was feeling super confident: had taken several days of intensive lessons and finally felt I had a good shot. But I hadn't properly practiced bay park manoeuvre, and my instructor kept saying it was easy and since I mastered corner resverse and parallel park, I shouldn't worry. Of course I should-- I get super nervous about anything I don't think I've mastered. So when the (very nice instructor) asked me to do a bay park directly before we even went out to drive, I botched it. Felt panicky and frozen, and couldn't get it right. Ended up between two spaces, and gave up too soon, probably...told her that I didn't want to continue the test since I'd already failed. Ended up crying most of the morning. I'm just so frustrated and drained by this process. Upset with myself for self-sabotaging due to nerves and panic-- in my normal state I would have easily been able to fix this problem, but the feeling of someone watching me so carefully makes me SUPER nervous and on edge. And I hate the DSA. I genuinely feel that this test is too rigid. No one was around for my imperfect bay park to affect-- so why can't that count as three or four minors? It's a system that permits so little imperfection, and focuses on such inconsequential things at times, that I have grown to deeply resent this process and the bureaucracy behind it. I'm fed up with draining my savings for this never-ending process, and fed up with feeling like a total idiot.

:-( Thanks for listening. Any advice would be a great help!
Reply 2379
You're a misogynist and don't deserve to post here-- that's troll behaviour. Read the statistics. Women are rarely responsible for fatal accidents, rarely speed, and are generally more considerate and responsible drivers. If they have a harder time passing, it may sometimes be down to an idiotically misogynistic culture expecting them to perform less well on these tasks (especially people like you sputtering unfounded cliches). Shame on you.

Original post by Oceanic
The number of females failing their driving test numerous times has started to reinforce my perception that women can't drive.

Edit: wow look at all these Neg ratings from women failing their driving test multiple times lol

Latest

Trending

Trending