The Student Room Group

I was planning to propose but there has been a death in family. Should I delay it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I was planning to propose on a fancy trip away next week but my girlfriend's grandfather has just died whom she was close to. She is really upset but still wants to go on the trip.

Should I postpone the proposal to another time?

I have not got the ring yet but had picked one out and was planning on getting it at the weekend. It is a really nice ring.

I'd say take her on the trip to get away from it all. Buy the ring but be prepared to keep it safe for a while. Once you're away, play it by ear. If you're only away two or three days I'd say it's unlikely but see how she's acting. If you feel like it's the right thing to do, do it. If you're away a week or so then she has time to try and come to terms with her loss and it's more likely that proposing would be okay. Even then, try not to get your hopes up. I lost a close family friend at the beginning of the month and it took me a couple days to just stop bursting into tears over it without any triggers. I didn't feel stable because I was so shaken by it and I feel like I couldn't appreciate anything good that was happening because it felt like a shadow over everything. Your girlfriend might be nothing like this whatsoever but just pay close attention to how she's acting. It might be the best thing for her to get something to look forward to but it might also be the worst at this time. Maybe thing about talking to her friends/siblings/family about it and see what they think? Just make sure that she knows you're there for support right now.
Reply 21
I was planning to propose on a fancy trip away next week but my girlfriend's grandfather has just died whom she was close to. She is really upset but still wants to go on the trip.

I have not got the ring yet but had picked one out and was planning on getting it at the weekend. It is a really nice ring.

Possibly at the end of the trip? I'd take the ring just in case..
No no. The funeral has already happened. I would be proposing 9 days after it.

In which case... I'd go for it.
Reply 23
sounds like the family needs some good news i say
Reply 24
She will probably start to be over it by then, if not, you will be giving her probably the best news of her life that is bound to pick up here spirit. I don't think it would be an issue.
Reply 25
Original post by thatrollingstone
I seriously never understood the big deal about grandparents dying. What do you expect? No one is immortal; it's just stupid to get very upset over something like that. Just hold and cherish the good memories and move on with your life. Crying and grieving will achieve nothing.

Anyway, I digress. I personally would go ahead anyway. Depends on how your girlfriend is coping though.

That's a very rational way of looking at it. 'Crying and grieving' is a natural response to the loss of someone close to you - it's not about 'achieving' anything. And I do find that some men tend to approach grief in a more goal-oriented way than women sometimes. I am the same as the other person who quoted you, my grandparents were like second parents to me - age and knowing they will sooner rather than later is irrelevant.

Anyway OP, my grandad died last month and my advice would be...do what you think is right. You know your girlfriend better than anyone - what does your gut say you should do? I would suggest you go away on the break and have a lovely time. I'm sure it will be great news but everyone reacts to grief so differently - if your girlfriend was close to her grandfather she will probably want to grieve in her own time. Personally, I would want the space to work through my grief so that when my other half did propose - I wouldn't want to look back and think of it as a time when I was struggling. Perhaps wait a little while? Let her deal with one emotion at a time. Even if it is wonderful it might be a lot to deal with right now. Let your knowledge of your girlfriend and her feelings guide you.

Also nothing against males but from the responses I have seen in this thread so far I would definitely take more notice of the responses you are getting from women. More emotional/probably more relevant to your gf!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Kattt_452
That's a very rational way of looking at it. 'Crying and grieving' is a natural response to the loss of someone close to you - it's not about 'achieving' anything. And I do find that some men tend to approach grief in a more goal-oriented way than women sometimes. I am the same as the other person who quoted you, my grandparents were like second parents to me - age and knowing they will sooner rather than later is irrelevant.

Anyway OP, my grandad died last month and my advice would be...do what you think is right. You know your girlfriend better than anyone - what does your gut say you should do? I would suggest you go away on the break and have a lovely time. I'm sure it will be great news but everyone reacts to grief so differently - if your girlfriend was close to her grandfather she will probably want to grieve in her own time. Personally, I would want the space to work through my grief so that when my other half did propose - I wouldn't want to look back and think of it as a time when I was struggling. Perhaps wait a little while? Let her deal with one emotion at a time. Even if it is wonderful it might be a lot to deal with right now. Let your knowledge of your girlfriend and her feelings guide you.

Also nothing against males but from the responses I have seen in this thread so far I would definitely take more notice of the responses you are getting from women. More emotional/probably more relevant to your gf!

We have been going out for 3.5 years and I had planned this for months. Do you think I should get the ring and then play it by ear? If I feel on the trip that she is still really upset and not in a fit emotional state then I could delay it. I will have to think of another special way to propose though.
Original post by TNA123
Maybe you weren't as close to your grandparents as some, but my maternal grandparents I consider my second set of parents. I stay over at their house in the holidays because I love spending time with them (I'm 19), my Grandad is the best storyteller I know and my Gran is always there to make me feel better.
I know one day they have to die but that won't make their passing any easier for me, crying and grieving is a process you go through when you lose someone so close. I will cherish the memories but it will crush me that I won't be able to make any more memories with them.

But you knew this would happen anyway. I don't understand why anyone would let themselves go through the agony/sorrow.

When things happen I tend to get past it extremely quickly because I know one day I will get over it anyway, so I think, why not just get over it now? I realise this is very robotic and inhuman though.
Reply 28
Original post by thatrollingstone
But you knew this would happen anyway. I don't understand why anyone would let themselves go through the agony/sorrow.

When things happen I tend to get past it extremely quickly because I know one day I will get over it anyway, so I think, why not just get over it now? I realise this is very robotic and inhuman though.

I don't think I can explain to you how knowing that something will happen won't make it easier for me personally. I would need the time to grieve and be upset for a while so that I can then move forward with life, otherwise my emotions would catch up with me at some point in the future if I tried to move forward too fast.
If you're lucky enough to get over it straight away without it hitting you at a later stage in life then that's fine. People deal with emotions in different ways.
11 days is long enough that the events won't forever be associated. Plus, losing someone often makes you appreciate the people around you more - the proposal may be the perfect thing for her at the point as she's gaining someone who will become her family and always be there for her.
Reply 30

like many others have said, its entirely up to you :smile: I think you're obviously really sweet and considerate about the whole thing, good on you. Only you can sense how her reaction to it might be.

In my own personal opinion, even though she may be grieving, a proposal from you (i'm guessing you're the love of her life) would rather make her day :smile: it would brighten up, from what you've said, what i'm guessing has been a pretty horrendous time for her.

Maybe she will be thrilled and say that this is just what her granddad would have wanted? I'm sure she would be delighted with a proposal, if you're sure you're at the right stage of the relationship for it.

Also, you wouldn't necessarily have to announce it straight away. She could keep it secret for couple of weeks before breaking the news, as a mark of respect so as not to make it look like she's forgotten about her bereavement? If you see what I mean
Reply 31
It's so hard to know what to do. I think I'll bring the ring and play it by ear.

Original post by AB25
like many others have said, its entirely up to you :smile: I think you're obviously really sweet and considerate about the whole thing, good on you. Only you can sense how her reaction to it might be.

In my own personal opinion, even though she may be grieving, a proposal from you (i'm guessing you're the love of her life) would rather make her day :smile: it would brighten up, from what you've said, what i'm guessing has been a pretty horrendous time for her.

Maybe she will be thrilled and say that this is just what her granddad would have wanted? I'm sure she would be delighted with a proposal, if you're sure you're at the right stage of the relationship for it.

Also, you wouldn't necessarily have to announce it straight away. She could keep it secret for couple of weeks before breaking the news, as a mark of respect so as not to make it look like she's forgotten about her bereavement? If you see what I mean
Reply 32
For anyone who cares she said yes!
all u need now is the mother to die so she'll have noone and be forced to spend the rest of her life with u

might take a couple years (pro tip: buy a shotgun)

edit: rofl she actually said yes? nvm
(edited 10 years ago)

Congratulations!! :biggrin:
Happy to hear the good news

Congratulations!
:party:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply