The Student Room Group

Does he like me? (getting mixed signals from him!)

Okay, so we're both guys, and he's very secretive about his life. He doesn't like many people knowing about his sexuality, but yes, he's gay. Anyway, so me and him met like a year ago through mutual friends and ever since, I couldn't stop thinking about him. Now he's done a few things which I'm unsure if they're signals or hints that he's into me or not:

1. when it's just us 2 in the backseat of the car, he edges his knees closer to mine till our legs touch

2. sometimes i move my leg towards his and he doesnt move his legs at all

3. once, he edged closer to me and somehow his left leg ended up under my right leg ,and we just stayed like that for like 5 mins...

4. he always smiles with me and all, never once was rude to me (even tho he gets angry at his friends, but never to me, hes too sweet to me)

5. I invited him out once for a dinner & movie and afterwards he said: "I dont normally say this but i really had fun with you tonight. Thank u so much, and next time, it's my treat" After that, he walked me home.

6. once, i invited him out with some mutual friends, and he called my best friend michelle and told her sorry i cant make it and i didnt call max (me) because i really like the guy and i dont wanna break his heart. and afterwards when she ran into him, he told her, did u tell him? and she told me he looked so sad and his eyes were so sad.

7. whenever we're out with friends and i wanna go to the bathroom, he comes with me, or says yeah i'm gonna go to the bathroom too.

8. when i invited him that day, just us 2, we our burgers got mixed us (i took a few bites out of his and he took a few bites out of mine) so he was like do u mind eating from my mouth? im like no, do u mind eating from mine? he was like no. so we ended up switching the burgers.

9. 2 of my friends have caught him staring at me a few times and they were like it wasnt a normal look

10. my best friend michelle said once she caught him staring at me and when she looked at him he blushed and turned away and she was like it's so obvious he's into you

-------------

Anyway, so it's really messing with my head. i wanna ask him out but I'm afraid he's too scared to admit anything to me IF he did like me at all. so what do u guys think? Are those hints? does it mean something? or is it all in my head?

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

From what you say, he might do - but then if you like him, you might be overreading things / seeing things which are not actually there. (E.g. with number 2, he just doesn't notice).
Reply 2
Original post by rmhumphries
From what you say, he might do - but then if you like him, you might be overreading things / seeing things which are not actually there. (E.g. with number 2, he just doesn't notice).

Fair enough, but how would you explain the whole putting his left leg under my right leg and just leaving it there? I mean it was pretty obvious our legs were locked
Aw, I remember all your previous threads about this guy - how did you find out he is gay after all?

Also, you say his signals are mixed but they don't seem so to me - seems like he definitely likes you (he accepted and went on a date with you, and followed dating etiquette with a thank you text afterwards!). However he might be reluctant/not ready to pursue it if he doesn't like people knowing his sexuality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Fair enough, but how would you explain the whole putting his left leg under my right leg and just leaving it there? I mean it was pretty obvious our legs were locked

I am not saying he doesn't like you, I am just saying be careful you are not seeing things because you want to.
Reply 5
Original post by Musie Suzie
Aw, I remember all your previous threads about this guy - how did you find out he is gay after all?

Also, you say his signals are mixed but they don't seem so to me - seems like he definitely likes you (he accepted and went on a date with you, and followed dating etiquette with a thank you text afterwards!). However he might be reluctant/not ready to pursue it if he doesn't like people knowing his sexuality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thank you. Do u see how long I've been after him? :tongue:

Well, a good friend of mine knows him back from his hometown (they're neighbors) so he did some background search and found out from people he's actually gay but likes to keep it to himself. I mean the poor guy's girlfriend dumped him for that & really hates him (even tho it's not his fault!) And then lots of guys gave him s**t for being gay. It just breaks my heart. No wonder he's secretive and keeps to himself in uni.

So yeah, that's about it, and also be because Michelle (my best friend) & I, always see him checking out guys. And also because she claims she has this "gaydar" & always thought he's gay but I don't believe in that :tongue:

So yeah.. I really do hope he's into me, because I'd literally die if he wasn't :tongue:

But then again, I think maybe all those aren't signals, maybe he doesn't know he's giving off signals? Maybe I'm reading too much into it? That thought alone depresses me :frown:

And sorry to take your time, but I'd just like to add one thing. Michelle came up with a plan. She was like next weekend, me zak her and her bf will go out and then spend the night in a hotel. Now the room has 2 beds and she was like she'll sleep in one with her bf and the other for me and zak. The bed is kinda small so we're bound to get tangled. Michelle was like pretend to be asleep and just cuddle him and if he does something too, then you'd know for sure he's into you.

Do u think that's a good plan? She claims it's "genius" :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by rmhumphries
I am not saying he doesn't like you, I am just saying be careful you are not seeing things because you want to.

Haha I know. Believe me, I never put my hopes up too high just in case. I always question the things he does, call it an accident, etc. Michelle's the one who tells me no he likes u, open up your eyes Max. :tongue:

And sorry to take your time, but I'd just like to add one thing. Michelle came up with a plan. She was like next weekend, me zak her and her bf will go out and then spend the night in a hotel. Now the room has 2 beds and she was like she'll sleep in one with her bf and the other for me and zak. The bed is kinda small so we're bound to get tangled. Michelle was like pretend to be asleep and just cuddle him and if he does something too, then you'd know for sure he's into you.

Do u think that's a good plan? She claims it's "genius" :tongue:

No, I don't think it's a good idea - it seems rather like you're trying to jump him/suddenly push things up quite a few levels. Also if the beds are in the same room he might not feel comfortable even cuddling you knowing the other two are there, even if he's close to them. If you really want to go ahead with it, run it by the guy first - explain it'll save money which is why you're suggesting it, but that if it would make him uncomfortable you two could have another room with a bed each...? And leave it hanging. If he wants to share a bed with you I think he'll communicate it to you. Also, why are you going to a hotel? Are you also going to go to a gig or on a night out or something? If not, it's pretty weird for you all to just randomly go to a hotel to share beds. Sorry to be a downer, but I really don't think it's a good idea.
Reply 8
No, I don't think it's a good idea - it seems rather like you're trying to jump him/suddenly push things up quite a few levels. Also if the beds are in the same room he might not feel comfortable even cuddling you knowing the other two are there, even if he's close to them. If you really want to go ahead with it, run it by the guy first - explain it'll save money which is why you're suggesting it, but that if it would make him uncomfortable you two could have another room with a bed each...? And leave it hanging. If he wants to share a bed with you I think he'll communicate it to you. Also, why are you going to a hotel? Are you also going to go to a gig or on a night out or something? If not, it's pretty weird for you all to just randomly go to a hotel to share beds. Sorry to be a downer, but I really don't think it's a good idea.

Yeah a night gig haha. But I mean I explained that to Michelle. She said she'd take her bf to the bar or something and leave us alone for a while. We thought of another room but it's too costly. And it's not the first time we go to the hotel :tongue: (it would be zak's tho haha)
Plus I won't do anything, I'll just wait & see what he does :tongue: I mean, one touch or gesture and then I'd know for sure he likes me..

Well okay, let's say this plan doesn't work. Got any other ideas? I thought of confessing but I'm very scared to do so. :frown:
Reply 9
Apart from point 7, I think they all suggest he might be into you. Ask him out, the worst that can happen is you know where you stand earlier. The plan sounds much riskier to me.

Plus I won't do anything, I'll just wait & see what he does :tongue: I mean, one touch or gesture and then I'd know for sure he likes me..

Well okay, let's say this plan doesn't work. Got any other ideas? I thought of confessing but I'm very scared to do so. :frown:

But he might be scared to initiate anything and then you still wouldn't know! It's scary to make the first move, especially when he probably doesn't have a clue whether you like him or not. He might be desperately in love with you but think you don't feel the same way, and thus wouldn't make a move.

I think the best thing to do is to ask him on another date, like when you two went to dinner and the cinema together. He's already accepted once - chances are he'll do so again. Go back to yours/his afterwards (wherever you can have some privacy), ideally you'll both be a bit tipsy, and either make a move or tell him how you feel.

None of this sharing a bed nonsense - if he does like you, being in bed with you will be scary enough without also making some sort of move!
Reply 11
Original post by ThePoster
Apart from point 7, I think they all suggest he might be into you. Ask him out, the worst that can happen is you know where you stand earlier. The plan sounds much riskier to me.

Haha thanks. But I can't ask him out cuz that's the same as confessing...kinda? Unless I don't say it's a date :tongue:
Reply 12
But he might be scared to initiate anything and then you still wouldn't know! It's scary to make the first move, especially when he probably doesn't have a clue whether you like him or not. He might be desperately in love with you but think you don't feel the same way, and thus wouldn't make a move.

I think the best thing to do is to ask him on another date, like when you two went to dinner and the cinema together. He's already accepted once - chances are he'll do so again. Go back to yours/his afterwards (wherever you can have some privacy), ideally you'll both be a bit tipsy, and either make a move or tell him how you feel.

None of this sharing a bed nonsense - if he does like you, being in bed with you will be scary enough without also making some sort of move!

Hahah I didn't think of it in that way! Yeah true the bed thing might be too much for him. But then again, what if I initiate a move first? We might both end up cuddling each other or something and then we'd both know haha! But yeah ill definitely ask him out again but I won't say it's a date or something cuz I might just as well confess right? :tongue:

So if I won't be direct with him, what clues can I throw off to make him know I like him?
Reply 13
Okay, so we're both guys, and he's very secretive about his life. He doesn't like many people knowing about his sexuality, but yes, he's gay. Anyway, so me and him met like a year ago through mutual friends and ever since, I couldn't stop thinking about him. Now he's done a few things which I'm unsure if they're signals or hints that he's into me or not:

1. when it's just us 2 in the backseat of the car, he edges his knees closer to mine till our legs touch

2. sometimes i move my leg towards his and he doesnt move his legs at all

3. once, he edged closer to me and somehow his left leg ended up under my right leg ,and we just stayed like that for like 5 mins...

4. he always smiles with me and all, never once was rude to me (even tho he gets angry at his friends, but never to me, hes too sweet to me)

5. I invited him out once for a dinner & movie and afterwards he said: "I dont normally say this but i really had fun with you tonight. Thank u so much, and next time, it's my treat" After that, he walked me home.

6. once, i invited him out with some mutual friends, and he called my best friend michelle and told her sorry i cant make it and i didnt call max (me) because i really like the guy and i dont wanna break his heart. and afterwards when she ran into him, he told her, did u tell him? and she told me he looked so sad and his eyes were so sad.

7. whenever we're out with friends and i wanna go to the bathroom, he comes with me, or says yeah i'm gonna go to the bathroom too.

8. when i invited him that day, just us 2, we our burgers got mixed us (i took a few bites out of his and he took a few bites out of mine) so he was like do u mind eating from my mouth? im like no, do u mind eating from mine? he was like no. so we ended up switching the burgers.

9. 2 of my friends have caught him staring at me a few times and they were like it wasnt a normal look

10. my best friend michelle said once she caught him staring at me and when she looked at him he blushed and turned away and she was like it's so obvious he's into you

-------------

Anyway, so it's really messing with my head. i wanna ask him out but I'm afraid he's too scared to admit anything to me IF he did like me at all. so what do u guys think? Are those hints? does it mean something? or is it all in my head?

Thank you :smile:

Sounds like he likes but he's a bit too shy to make a move - does he think you're straight (would add to the shyness)
Reply 14
Yeah a night gig haha. But I mean I explained that to Michelle. She said she'd take her bf to the bar or something and leave us alone for a while. We thought of another room but it's too costly. And it's not the first time we go to the hotel :tongue: (it would be zak's tho haha)

My attitude is: "you like him but don't know if he likes you - ask him out - then you'll know"
Reply 15
Original post by Andy98
Sounds like he likes but he's a bit too shy to make a move - does he think you're straight (would add to the shyness)

Yeah, I think he thinks I'm straight (even tho I told him I have gay friends and they're cool ppl etc...) but I can't tell him I'm bi because I'm not fully out (only 2 close friends know)
Reply 16
Original post by Andy98
My attitude is: "you like him but don't know if he likes you - ask him out - then you'll know"

Yeah, I think he thinks I'm straight (even tho I told him I have gay friends and they're cool ppl etc...) but I can't tell him I'm bi because I'm not fully out (only 2 close friends know)

The above still stands
Reply 17
Original post by Andy98
The above still stands

I'm scared :frown: I wanna throw him subtle hints & see how he reacts so I can be sure and THEN I'll ask him out like that/confess :tongue:
Reply 18
I'm scared :frown: I wanna throw him subtle hints & see how he reacts so I can be sure and THEN I'll ask him out like that/confess :tongue:

He sounds like one of those people who won't react to the subtle hints - just ask him out.

What have you got to lose?
Reply 19
Original post by Andy98
He sounds like one of those people who won't react to the subtle hints - just ask him out.

What have you got to lose?

His friendship? :cries:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending