The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Agreed :smile: I have no idea either
Reply 21
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
For men and women. I keep seeing people posting photos of people they think are hot and they're either massive body builders or very muscular women. Nothing's wrong with personal preference but why is this look so popular here?

I've also never seen this in real life. I know a couple of guys into gym but they're in the minority and they're not jerks about it.
I also notice a lot of "lol do you even lift" and bodybuilding references. Why does the STUDENT room have such a prominent (aggressive) bodybuilding community? :confused:

Because pop culture promotes egoism and since everyone is so ready and willing to project their ego, people need ways to stand out above the crowd in doing so. Lots of people also fall for the mantra 'if you aren't muscly/fit/perfectly proportioned and unrealistically attractive, then the opposite sex won't like you'.

Nobody wants to admit to finding the geeky awkward guy/girl insanely hot because wider society is a judgemental idiot that doesn't have the first idea what individuals are all about.

Then there are some people who genuinely just like to run and stuff.
(edited 9 years ago)
You're entitled to that opinion but I prefer a more natural looking physique. Also what peogress? What am I meant to be progressing with? I just run because I like it.

Girls who lift aren't for me, it's cool if you like that, just wondering why on here it's so popular

Because you seem to think that when girls lift weights, they end up looking like this:

When actually the average female who lifts weights regularly will end up looking something like this (she's a figure competitor):

And I'm sure we can all agree the girl in the second photo looks great
Original post by bertstare
Why wouldn't people lift weights is a far more perplexing question

-Takes at max 1 hour per day, and is great stress relief
-Allows you to eat a ****load of food and not get fat
-Various health benefits
-Gets you physically strong
-Makes you look much better, for both guys (obviously) and even for women (squats = win)

So yeah, why wouldn't you lift?

This.
Original post by MidnightDream
Agreed :smile: I have no idea either

Then read the responses on the thread.

Zero loss, all gain.
[QUOTE="bertstare;47521202"]Because you seem to think that when girls lift weights, they end up looking like this:

When actually the average female who lifts weights regularly will end up looking something like this (she's a figure competitor):

And I'm sure we can all agree the girl in the second photo looks great[/QUOTE
I'm fully aware that when women lift they don't get huge they get that "toned" look, but I personally don't like it. I think it looks hard and masculine. I can understand that some people are into that though
Reply 26
A lot of guys with low self-esteem.
You're entitled to that opinion but I prefer a more natural looking physique. Also what peogress? What am I meant to be progressing with? I just run because I like it.

Girls who lift aren't for me, it's cool if you like that, just wondering why on here it's so popular

Because athleticism isn't natural? lol.

I'm sure its more natural than the average physique today, which is achieved by sitting on your arse all day eating chips.
Reply 28
Because most people on here are between the ages of 16-21 which is the worst age range for it.

Most males I've known seem to start somewhere around the beginning of sixth form and slow down towards the end of first year of University. Seems to be a trend based purely on my own anecdotal perspective.

It gives a lot of guys a sense of confidence, which a large portion choose to convert into arrogance. The attitude though is attractive to some girls. The whole bad boy thing. When a dude sees his friend who is bulked pulling on a night out, he probably puts it down to the bulking, which makes him join a gym. In reality, t's more likely that the girls are attracted to the laddish/arrogant/cheeky body language the guy has as a result of his bulking (confidence).
For men and women. I keep seeing people posting photos of people they think are hot and they're either massive body builders or very muscular women. Nothing's wrong with personal preference but why is this look so popular here?

I've also never seen this in real life. I know a couple of guys into gym but they're in the minority and they're not jerks about it.
I also notice a lot of "lol do you even lift" and bodybuilding references. Why does the STUDENT room have such a prominent (aggressive) bodybuilding community? :confused:

95% of people who say that don't even lift (srs)

It's a difficult pastime and people like to motivate each other. Just like women constantly give each other compliments all of the time (but for nothing they've actually achieved).

I think you just prefer less dominant guys and guys who lift have less reason to be shrinking daisies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Stinkum
OMG ****ing YES THANK YOU, there it is, that's ****ing exactly what I wanted to say!!! Seriously, why on earth would someone choose not to lift? Would rep you if I had any rep left! Very well said. Should be quoted on every thread that makes any mention of bodybuilding.

- Because it's boring, stressful, exhausting and doesn't have a positive effect for many people

I spent a month lifting and excercising an hour every day. I lost about a stone, but I just hated it, I hated the diet, and I hated having to drag myself away from whatever I was doing.
(edited 9 years ago)

I'm fully aware that when women lift they don't get huge they get that "toned" look, but I personally don't like it. I think it looks hard and masculine. I can understand that some people are into that though

So the second girl in that pic looks hard and masculine? Now I've literally heard everything

Original post by ChickenMadness

I'm sure its more natural than the average physique today, which is achieved by sitting on your arse all day eating chips.

This. In a society where so many people are ridiculously out of shape, lazy, physically useless, some people actually enjoy pushing themselves and striving for better strength, athleticism and physique, and they get criticised? Some world we live in

Most women on here prefer the lean look from what I've read in threads...lean and muscular, infact most girls on here say they despise the bodybuilder look.

Same for guys. The admiration for fit, toned women is all over the "hot female bodies" threads, but not for "very muscular" women with clearly defined 6 packs or anything. Its all about girls with trim waists, cracking arses for most of the lads...its these frequent gym going girls who tend to have this sort o body.

The do you even lift stuff is said in jest a fair bit, unless you're on the fitness section, where its quite understandable...

Funnily enough I think guys who are big and built are far more successful with women that TSR would suggest, though that may have something to do with the youngish age of posters here.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Can't say I've come across many of them myself, it might be something to do with psychology as to why the more athletic bodies are seen as attractive. How many of those posted pictures are of those heavily bubbled bodybuilders?

As for the 'do you even lift?' I think that's more of a 'macho man' thing, along with 'alpha' and the likes of, as opposed to ACTUAL bodybuilding attitudes (as in, why waste the energy taunting someone when you could use it to push out one more rep?). Although WHY that's said so often.. nope, I'm stumped too. I think it's more as a joke and never really meant in seriousness.

tbh brah. I started because I live in a bad area and didn't want to be beaten up all the time. Then it turned into a very enjoyable lifestyle.

Female attention is just a bonus.
Original post by CJKay
- Because it's boring, stressful, exhausting and doesn't have any positive effects for many people

Lol what? Only if you're doing it completely wrong.

Boring: Fair enough
Stressful: Again, if you do it right it won't be, it will reduce stress
Exhausting: No ****, it's exercise.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by manchesterunited15
95% of people who say that don't even lift (srs)

This 100%.

Somehow misc lingo was elevated to god-like status in virtue of the cool people using it on the forum.

Now, all the nerds use it.

See signature.
Reply 37
Original post by manchesterunited15
Lol what? Only if you're doing it completely wrong.

Edited; see above. I followed exactly the same schedule as my Dad - the difference being that he loved it and continues to do it, and I hated and won't be doing it again.
Original post by ChickenMadness

I haven't said being fat is better :s-smilie:

Original post by Jebedee

I think you just prefer less dominant guys and guys who lift have less reason to be shrinking daisies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot if guys who lift (and who go on about it) are the biggest pussies out there, so not sure what your point is. It takes more than muscles to intimidate me :lol:
Original post by CJKay
- Because it's boring, stressful, exhausting and doesn't have any positive effects for many people

I spent a month lifting and excercising an hour every day. I lost about a stone, but I just hated it, I hated the diet, and I hated having to drag myself away from whatever I was doing.

Thats a cool story but plenty of other people have better willpower than you

Latest