The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No.
i think so. in a good relationship you should know your partner well enough to know what they'll say when you propose
It's not over, however you should speak to each other to see where you both go from there. It may be that the other person has completely different intentions, doesn't want to get married, isn't sure etc. Nothing that a conversation may fix.
Not necessarily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, it just means you don't want to get married.
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
i think so. in a good relationship you should know your partner well enough to know what they'll say when you propose

i wouldn't say's it necessarily over. But I agree with the bolded bit.
Reply 7
Original post by MylittlePlusle
I'm just wondering if no is said is the relationship over?

If I loved a girl enough to ask her to marry me then I would likely consider it a rejection of our future together.
I'd say it depends.

Ask your partner why they don't want to marry you.
Is it because you haven't been together long
or because you were unfaithful
or because they don't see a future with you and want to marry someone else.

If it's the last one I'd say the relationship is over and if it's the unfaithful one... why is your partner still with you?
depends on exactly what you proposed.

I said no to my husband several times as I wasn't ready to get married. We've now been married a very long time while friends who made the decision a bit faster are often divorced.
Reply 10
Yes of course, obviously. If you need to ask this question, then you must be very confused. It's a straight up rejection, a slap in the face. It means they don't want you.
It can mean that they aren't ready. You need to know the reasons why.
Nope. Just means they aren't ready for marriage yet.
No, just means the other person isn't ready for marriage yet. I'm sure there are loads of couples who stayed together after not saying yes to a proposal
Yes.
lol at me loving a girl more than she loves me.
My ego simply would not allow it
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MylittlePlusle
I'm just wondering if no is said is the relationship over?

Totally depends on the individuals. It might just not be the right time but the following year it might.

I just read a story about this woman who said 'no' to her first love, when she was in her late teens. They drifted, married other people and then 20 odd years later (both divorced) they met up and she said 'yes'! Now engaged soon to be married ahhhh.:tongue:
No. We had a teacher who told us that she'd rejected her bf's proposal 3 times. She even had kids with the guy.
Yes.

The girls here are living in fantasy land if they think that this isn't a deathblow to a relationship.
Not necessarily. If the person refuses the proposal simply because they're not ready for marriage just yet, then of course the relationship is over. However, I think that if they refuse the proposal because they don't want to ever get married then the fate of the relationship could change. I personally don't like to get into relationships with people who I can't picture myself marrying one day, and I don't see the point in getting into a relationship if you alone aren't ready for full commitment to that person when they are.
No I wouldn't say so. If the person rejects the proposal because they never want to get married but the other person does, then that could cause problems. If the proposal is rejected because they aren't ready for marriage for whatever personal/financial reason but do want to get married at some point to that person, then no I don't think its over. Though tbh, if it were me who got proposed to and I wasn't ready for reasons say I was nervous or too skint for a wedding, I would just accept the proposal as there is nothing wrong with a long engagement as you don't have to get married as soon as the engagement ring goes on your finger.

Latest

Trending

Trending