The Student Room Group

Welbeck DSFC 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by gwennny
What are you meant to arrive in at Cramwell? Do you arrive in your smart clothes already? e.g suit. Or do you arrive in casual clothes and then get changed for the mess dinner?

You don't have to arrive in smart dress. When you arrive at RAF Cranwell report to the main guardroom you get an ID and photo.. Then go to the candidates mess where you can get changed. Or get changed in your room.
Original post by gwennny
What are you meant to arrive in at Cramwell? Do you arrive in your smart clothes already? e.g suit. Or do you arrive in casual clothes and then get changed for the mess dinner?

Hi our son went to RAF Cranwell earlier this week and he wore a navy suit with shirt and tie which was correct. He only got changed into PE kit and they supplied some overralls as well. He really enjoyed the experience..... good luck!
Does anyone who has attended the AOSC before know what the pass score for DESG candidates is? We know aptitude tests are only one measure of suitability but will a score of 102 be enough?
Reply 123
Original post by Ben.wolves
Hi our son went to RAF Cranwell earlier this week and he wore a navy suit with shirt and tie which was correct. He only got changed into PE kit and they supplied some overralls as well. He really enjoyed the experience..... good luck!

Thank a lot for your reply! SO he didnt get changed for the Mess dinner then?
Original post by gwennny
Thank a lot for your reply! SO he didnt get changed for the Mess dinner then?

No just had one suit with him and 3 shirts ...
Reply 125
Original post by Ben.wolves
No just had one suit with him and 3 shirts ...

Okay, thanks :smile:
hey anyone else got Navy AIB dates for 14th July 2014???
Original post by marys2228
hey anyone else got Navy AIB dates for 14th July 2014???

Yes : )
Cool I'll see you down there!!
Reply 129
Does anyone know when we get the yay or nay regarding our places. Like what date the letters are sent out?
Hey I've just completed my Royal Navy AIB for entry September 2014 what subjects are you guys taking
I know that I get a letter next week and the selection for Royal Navy candidates was Friday the 18th July
My son got his offer from the Navy today, hope you hear soon@
I've been accepted today
Reply 134
So I am thinking about applying for welbeck for the 2015 entry next year once I finisn secondary school through the army to the royal signals. I was just wondering on the site is says you needa A and/or B in maths and physics does this mean you could get in with Bs I both or you need a A in one of them ? Also when do you have to do the physical assessment and are the physical requirements currently on the welbeck site correct for what I would need to meet to get in through the army?
Original post by Jakl121
So I am thinking about applying for welbeck for the 2015 entry next year once I finisn secondary school through the army to the royal signals. I was just wondering on the site is says you needa A and/or B in maths and physics does this mean you could get in with Bs I both or you need a A in one of them ? Also when do you have to do the physical assessment and are the physical requirements currently on the welbeck site correct for what I would need to meet to get in through the army?

Army students require an A in either maths or physics, but the other must be at least a B. The only formal physical assessment you will do on the Army Officer Selection Board is a bleep test to level 9.2. Much more important is your personal qualities and officer potential. Once you get into Welbeck you will begin formal personal fitness tests (PFA's), which you must pass at the end of the second year in order to receive a bursary through university. The minimum standards for this is:

Minimum 44 press ups in 2 minutes (22 for girls)
Minimum 50 sit ups in 2 minutes (same for girls)
1.5 mile run in 10:30 (13:00 for girls)

These tests are taken in this order and follow immediately from each other.
Reply 136
Ok thanks for this!! Its really helpful is there anything else you could tell me that i need to watch out for and just to make sure that if i am going for the royal signals through the army it is just a bleep test
I am currently in the second year of welbeck as an army student and I also want to join the signals. Regardless of what corps you are wishing to join, the same standard is expected of all officers joining the army. So whether you want to be a paratrooper or a chef, the initial tests are the same. At the army officer selection board the most important advice is to be yourself, you don't have to be particularly fit or sporty, you don't have to be big, it's about the person you are and your leadership potential. They aren't looking for officers at this stage, they're looking for individuals with the right qualities to be moulded into an officer.

Anyone thinking of going to Welbeck, make sure this really is the career you want. Once you enter the dtus scheme, there isn't much going back. It's a big commitment to be made at such a young age. Welbeck is not 'the army', its a sixth form college with a strong focus on academics. It takes two years of hard work and another three or four years at university before you will even begin officer training. If anyone has any questions about the college or the career, message me.
Original post by Truscott178
Hey I've just completed my Royal Navy AIB for entry September 2014 what subjects are you guys taking

Hi, I'm thinking about going to Welbeck and being sponsored by the Navy, what was the AIB like?
Hello, I am thinking about going to Welbeck through the RAF for the 2015 entry and I was wondering if anybody, who has already been through the process, could give me a rough idea of what questions they asked you - (if you can remember that far back!) :smile:
Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest