The Student Room Group

11stone and 5'5, classed as fat?

Scroll to see replies

I'm 5'11" and just under 11 stone. That is quite fat lol.
You're not fat, I'm the same weight as you (as far as I'm aware) and an inch shorter but you carry the weight better than I do (as in, it looks nicer)

But I know from my own bmi I am slightly overweight, but not fat.

Just exercise and have a reduced calorie diet to start off with, the NHS have a good plan thing that you can monitor it. I think it's been suggested to lose only like 1-2lb a week, especially if you don't want the flabby skin after (not sure if this is right, just something I've seen a bit)
Whats really weird is you dont actually look like you weigh 11st, im only slightly slimmer and your picture could hve been mine a month ago,i weigh 9st, tho perhaps thats because im short (5'2).
Started going to the gym about a month ago nd lost 1/2 a stone (used to weigh 9 1/2 stone). You might not even be classed as 'overweight' using ur bmi (im not )but excess fat in the stomach area is not good for health nyway so losing some will not only make u feel better but you'll be healthier too!
Jus eat healthily in moderation and excersize! Dont look for a 'quick fix'. Good luck!
Original post by ChickenMadness
I'm 5'11" and just under 11 stone. That is quite fat lol.

Not really coz ur so tall! (Lucky) im waaaay shorter nd only weigh 2st less 😔
Fatness isn't determined by your weight…it's determined by how you look, no?

Generally speaking, from what I've seen of people that height/weight roughly they tend to be anything from chubby to a little overweight. So yes I suppose they are "fat" although that's a horrible word.

But who am I to judge if you're fat when I haven't seen a picture of you.
Don't associate weight with fitness. I'm 6ft2 and 19.5 stones (123kg) and I'm fit & strong. Trust me you're fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a little over 5'5 and weighed 10 stone 10 back in the day. Looking back I would say I was pretty close to being considered 'a bit chunky'. I'd say you're probably a little bit fat yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
you are fat sure lol
im 6'1 and 11 stone, and i have a decent amount of fat
Original post by Doob
you are fat sure lol

I'm 5ft 10 and 12.5 stone

You have no fat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Angry cucumber
I'm 5ft 10 and 12.5 stone

You have no fat

Posted from TSR Mobile

k den
Original post by Doob
k den

Lol you're saying you're not skinny as hell?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jesus Op lay off the pies.
Reply 32
Original post by lou_100
Fatness isn't determined by your weight…it's determined by how you look, no?

Generally speaking, from what I've seen of people that height/weight roughly they tend to be anything from chubby to a little overweight. So yes I suppose they are "fat" although that's a horrible word.

But who am I to judge if you're fat when I haven't seen a picture of you.

Ive uploaded a picture here http://s47.photobucket.com/user/ellewilis/media/3d4b9251-9985-4051-87f0-f5227793d68e_zps4af3d6e8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 , thank you for being honest :smile: I need all the help i can get lol
Reply 33
Original post by Doob
you are fat sure lol

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/ellewilis/media/3d4b9251-9985-4051-87f0-f5227793d68e_zps4af3d6e8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 would you say its gross kinda fat or am I normal looking for now? im trying harder to lose weight
Original post by ElleWls
Ive uploaded a picture here http://s47.photobucket.com/user/ellewilis/media/3d4b9251-9985-4051-87f0-f5227793d68e_zps4af3d6e8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 , thank you for being honest :smile: I need all the help i can get lol

No you are not fat. I actually was quite pleasantly surprised when I first saw the photo as I was expecting you to look a lot bigger.

If you do want total honesty, you probably already know you are carrying a little extra weight around your tummy and a little on your arms and you do look a little bit chubby - but nothing major. Your legs look good actually for that weight! I'd expect a lot bigger. You're not fat at all in my opinion.

If you want to lose some more of the stomach weight I reckon knocking off half a stone - 7 lbs really isn't that much so it's doable! 14 lbs less (10 stone) and you'd look really good, and 21 lbs (so…9 and a half stone) less you'd be very slim I think.

I'm 5 foot 3 and I was 10 stone 5 lbs at the beginning of my weight loss journey. I was starting to look big/chubby but am a little shorter than you. So yes you do look on the bigger side but I wouldn't think you were actually fat fat.

To give you an idea, I'm now 8 stone 12 lbs and I still have legs that are a little chunky, and some flab on my stomach. My goal is a toned, slim, size 8 look though which is not everyone's goal but was just saying even at this weight I'm only just a normal look for my age.

Edit: I changed the weight loss suggestions because for some reason I thought you were 11 and a half stone, but it says 11 sorry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by ElleWls
http://s47.photobucket.com/user/ellewilis/media/3d4b9251-9985-4051-87f0-f5227793d68e_zps4af3d6e8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 would you say its gross kinda fat or am I normal looking for now? im trying harder to lose weight

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

if you come up as overweight, then you need to lose some fat
Reply 36
Original post by ABBIE09
Everyone had fat so don't even worry!
You look great btw!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410885006.294010.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

the OP looks obese, and i suspect here stats on the bmi would put her in the range of an unhealthy weight

i cant believe your trying to encourage her to continue her eating habits, this is exactly why there is an obesity epidemic.

you would encourage a chain smoker to continue, so why do it with bodyweight when it is almost as bad?

disgraceful
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doob
the OP looks obese, and i suspect here stats on the bmi would put her in the range of an unhealthy weight

i cant believe your trying to encourage her to continue her eating habits, this is exactly why there is an obesity epidemic.

you would encourage a chain smoker to continue, so why do it with bodyweight when it is almost as bad?

disgraceful

She doesn't look obese, she looks a bit overweight.
Original post by ElleWls
Is that weight too big for my height?! Would it be considered fat

You are slightly overweight BUT not unattractive. I'm sure you will look great once you hit your target weight!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doob
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

if you come up as overweight, then you need to lose some fat

Doob, 11st at 6'1?

You're skinnyfat/little muscle if you think you're carrying a fair bit of fat at that height and weight.

crap calculator, beyond 2.5hours/week there are no further options. Unless you carry little muscle, bmi is pretty useless. The "healthy" range for a 5'5 male is 50- 68 kg. I reckon I'd be like 10-12% bf if I cut down below 68...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest