The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
New page created to easily organise info about applicants/offers:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Chemical_Engineering_2015_Applicants
Applying for chemical engineering at Cambridge (via NatSci), Manchester, Imperial, Birmingham, and Bath!

AS grades: AAAA (maths, further maths, chemistry, and physics)
Predicted A2: A*A*A*A

Already received an offer from Birmingham, and an invitation to interview for Manchester! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I'm looking to apply to UCL for biochemical engineering. What are the interviews like because it's for the application process?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi am interested in chemical engineering but only in year 12 at the moment for AS level Im taking maths, physics, chemistry and further maths. I wanted to know why you guys chose chemical engineering over lets say a chemistry or physics degree? Also how much physics is involved in the course does it contain more chemistry. Also any recommended "easy" reads for chemical engineering so I can see if this degree would be for me??? Thanks for the help xx
Original post by josephinemar25
Hi am interested in chemical engineering but only in year 12 at the moment for AS level Im taking maths, physics, chemistry and further maths. I wanted to know why you guys chose chemical engineering over lets say a chemistry or physics degree? Also how much physics is involved in the course does it contain more chemistry. Also any recommended "easy" reads for chemical engineering so I can see if this degree would be for me??? Thanks for the help xx

Try the reading list off Cambridge uni website. Engineering doesn't necessarily have easy reads. Try whynotchemeng website. I'm going to be applying this yr and also it contains more maths and chem than physics. Chemical engineering as a whole can lead to many different careers like finance, logistics and oil/gas mainly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow I didn't know what I wanted to do until picking a course at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
OMG this is so exciting, I just read this post.
How is the course? I've applied for ChemEng via NatSci at Churchill!
How cool are the lectures? Do you enjoy lessons?
What grades did you get? UMS average? How was the interview?!
I'm SO EXCITED for you, I don't know you but I'm so happy to know you've succeeded and gotten into Cambridge!
Sorry for all the questions :P

Sorry I've only just seen this (not been on TSR for a while with being very busy)! I've not been in Cambridge long (had a week and a half of lectures, 2 materials practicals, 1 chemistry practical and a physics supervision), just about long enough to settle in, so these are just my first impressions. I'm loving being in Cambridge, the course, the people (though an overwhelming number of new people to meet at first!), and there being so much to choose between to do in terms of societies, music etc. :biggrin: Apart from I've now caught freshers' flu haha. :frown: :frown:

How you find the natsci course might depend considerably on what options you choose, I'm doing physics, chemistry, materials and maths B (pretty typical for chemeng). So far the lecture content hasn't really covered anything I've not done before, which I suppose it better than me not understanding a word of what's said in them, apart from of course materials which is completely new to nearly everyone doing it, but I'm finding the materials course more interesting than I expected, and the materials practicals especially are a lot of fun. Apparently it does get harder though! (Other students keep talking about the work they've got to do and I don't really feel like I've had much yet!)

The lectures vary from lecturer to lecturer. For the first part of the chemistry course, we have Dr Wothers, who is an amazing lecturer (have you read "Why chemical reactions happen?", the physics lecturer brings wind-up plastic toys to amuse us mid-lecture, the materials lecturer gives out chocolates for audience participation!

My grades and UMS are all on my profile. :tongue: As for the interview, I was recovering from a head injury at the time so I don't remember it overly well... I don't know the format of the interview at Churchill, but at Trinity for natsci we had a 1 hour pre-interview test, and then the interview was spent almost entirely going through the bits of the test that weren't completely correct!

Best of luck with your application!! :biggrin: Let me know if you want me to expand on anything!

I've just started at Cambridge doing ChemEng via NatSci and was in a similar position to you (for me it was more between chemeng and physics, maths or general engineering).
(if you apply for ChemEng via NatSci at Cambridge, you can change your mind and stay on with NatSci subjects in 2nd year rather than switching to ChemEng, after having a year to try out physics, chemistry, and another experimental science at degree level, which was what attracted me to the Cambridge course particularly)

Further to the books listed on http://www.ceb.cam.ac.uk/undergraduates/prospective-students/1a-information/reading-list, I'd recommend looking at MIT open courseware lecture notes for chemical engineering course (And you can compare the sorts of things you'd learn doing chemeng to those in physics, chemistry etc.).

ChemEng involves mainly applied maths and physics (applied to the chemical industry mainly, though ChemEng today is very broad and involves pretty much anything involving processing), and then a bit of chemistry, mainly physical.

For me personally, the attraction of chemeng as opposed to physics/chemistry, is being able to more directly apply science/maths to solving real world problems that could improve people's quality of life. Beyond that I just wanted to do a degree that was generally maths/science/problem-solving based, and fairly broad. I currently plan on going into research (though of course there's lots of time to change my mind!), but there's then the factor that a chemeng graduate is going to have more well-paid jobs in industry open to them than a chemist/physicist (but people say not to choose a degree based on that alone!).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Claree
Sorry I've only just seen this (not been on TSR for a while with being very busy)! I've not been in Cambridge long (had a week and a half of lectures, 2 materials practicals, 1 chemistry practical and a physics supervision), just about long enough to settle in, so these are just my first impressions. I'm loving being in Cambridge, the course, the people (though an overwhelming number of new people to meet at first!), and there being so much to choose between to do in terms of societies, music etc. :biggrin: Apart from I've now caught freshers' flu haha. :frown: :frown:

How you find the natsci course might depend considerably on what options you choose, I'm doing physics, chemistry, materials and maths B (pretty typical for chemeng). So far the lecture content hasn't really covered anything I've not done before, which I suppose it better than me not understanding a word of what's said in them, apart from of course materials which is completely new to nearly everyone doing it, but I'm finding the materials course more interesting than I expected, and the materials practicals especially are a lot of fun. Apparently it does get harder though! (Other students keep talking about the work they've got to do and I don't really feel like I've had much yet!)

The lectures vary from lecturer to lecturer. For the first part of the chemistry course, we have Dr Wothers, who is an amazing lecturer (have you read "Why chemical reactions happen?", the physics lecturer brings wind-up plastic toys to amuse us mid-lecture, the materials lecturer gives out chocolates for audience participation!

My grades and UMS are all on my profile. :tongue: As for the interview, I was recovering from a head injury at the time so I don't remember it overly well... I don't know the format of the interview at Churchill, but at Trinity for natsci we had a 1 hour pre-interview test, and then the interview was spent almost entirely going through the bits of the test that weren't completely correct!

Best of luck with your application!! :biggrin: Let me know if you want me to expand on anything!

Wow! Thank you so much for all this info.
I just received an offer from Manchester. I'm extremely happy :biggrin:
Cambridge does sound great. Right now, I'm reading 'Renewable Energy - Without the Hot Air' by a professor at Cambridge (David JC MacKay). I plan to read 'Why Chemical Reactions Happen' soon enough though. The lectures sound sensational!
I thought Manchester do interviews for chemical engineering before giving out an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rdmchill
Just discovered this thread. I am applying to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Manchester and Birmingham. Recieved an offer from Birmigham (AA) and have an interview with Manchester next Wednesday. Has anoyone received any reply from Imperial and this is to Cambridge applicants, via Engineering or Nat Sci?

We have the exact same choices, although I've received an offer from Manchester rather than Birmingham!
Original post by faisal99
I thought Manchester do interviews for chemical engineering before giving out an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not if you're international!
Original post by Shadez
Hi
i want to apply for chemical engineering at Manchester university ( i really want to study in manchester as it would be too expensive for me to live away from home) however my actual grades are lower than there entry requirements (AAA) and i have Maths- A* Biology-A Chemistry-B to top it off the B grade is in chemistry. Do you think i have a chance at getting in, if there's anyone thats been been in a similar situation i would sure like to hear your story.

call them
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
We have the exact same choices, although I've received an offer from Manchester rather than Birmingham!

Have Imperial contacted you? I recieved an interview. Got any tips?

I've got an interview for Imperial as well on the 29th October. Do they just interview Londoners?

I don't think I'll get an interview, as I am overseas. I did speak to an interviewer, she used to be the admissions tutor for my local university. Make sure you read over your PS. Anything you talked about (books, lectures) are things you should be confident about. If you mentioned you read a book about catalysts, make sure you know stuff about catalysts! You might want to learn about how your studies apply to Chemical Engineering (I discussed how my Further Maths syllabus applies to Engineering with several engineers, so I've good interview material for that!). Of course, remember that you should be answer the question you're asked, not something you would like being asked.
Good luck!
Original post by mintyboy
I've got an interview for Imperial as well on the 29th October. Do they just interview Londoners?

I have an interview on the 29th as well. I am from Birmingham btw
Reply 157
Just discovered this thread. I am applying to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Manchester and Birmingham. Recieved an offer from Birmigham (AA) and have an interview with Manchester next Wednesday. Has anoyone received any reply from Imperial and this is to Cambridge applicants, via Engineering or Nat Sci?

Hi,
Yes I've been invited to interview at Imperial on 29th October! Can't believe it's so early :smile:
Reply 158
Original post by mintyboy

Hi
I've got an interview at Imperial on 29th too! :smile:
Original post by Claree
I've just started at Cambridge doing ChemEng via NatSci and was in a similar position to you (for me it was more between chemeng and physics, maths or general engineering).
(if you apply for ChemEng via NatSci at Cambridge, you can change your mind and stay on with NatSci subjects in 2nd year rather than switching to ChemEng, after having a year to try out physics, chemistry, and another experimental science at degree level, which was what attracted me to the Cambridge course particularly)

Further to the books listed on http://www.ceb.cam.ac.uk/undergraduates/prospective-students/1a-information/reading-list, I'd recommend looking at MIT open courseware lecture notes for chemical engineering course (And you can compare the sorts of things you'd learn doing chemeng to those in physics, chemistry etc.).

ChemEng involves mainly applied maths and physics (applied to the chemical industry mainly, though ChemEng today is very broad and involves pretty much anything involving processing), and then a bit of chemistry, mainly physical.

For me personally, the attraction of chemeng as opposed to physics/chemistry, is being able to more directly apply science/maths to solving real world problems that could improve people's quality of life. Beyond that I just wanted to do a degree that was generally maths/science/problem-solving based, and fairly broad. I currently plan on going into research (though of course there's lots of time to change my mind!), but there's then the factor that a chemeng graduate is going to have more well-paid jobs in industry open to them than a chemist/physicist (but people say not to choose a degree based on that alone!).

Thanks for the help. Definetly think chemical engineering is a strong contender for me. Are you enjoying the course so far? What are you learning t the moment? :smile:

Latest